View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
746. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

    26 3.49%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

    12 1.61%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

    20 2.68%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

    44 5.90%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

    36 4.83%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

    40 5.36%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

    43 5.76%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

    64 8.58%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

    39 5.23%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

    109 14.61%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

    60 8.04%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

    21 2.82%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

    37 4.96%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

    46 6.17%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

    149 19.97%
Page 9 of 981 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109509 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 14703
  1. #121
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    2,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    What happened to them anyhow?
    Phylla succumbed to the curse of the Mar-Vells (be careful Teddy) and died. Moondragon went a bit mad, and pregnant and then DnA's run ended and they haven't been seen in the Bendis run
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

  2. #122
    CBR's Good Fairy Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    7,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    With Marvel cosmic getting a push recently, I wonder if Phylla and Moondragon might reappear again......?
    Here's hoping. I mean I don't read GoG; but they are (arguably) the most famous lesbian couple at Marvel; and I always support fans getting back the characters they love (even if I don't read the comic). Plus it would be great to finally get an LGBT character in the Marvel Film Universe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    They were cosmically powerful female characters in Guardians of the Galaxy. Then Bendis starting writing it, so it was back to 'we have space for a non-powered assassin chick.'
    To be fair to Bendis he's been pretty good at supporting LGBT characters. He created Victoria Hand and Benjamin Deeds (fulfilling his promise that one of his cast was LGBT -- take not Hickman!!!); and he brought Daken into the Dark Avengers, giving him a MAJOR profile boost and resulting in (arguably) the first ever LGBT solo series at Marvel. He's also made Billy Sorcerer Supreme in the future X-men; which is pretty cool.

    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 06-05-2014 at 10:59 AM.

  3. #123
    Extraordinary Member Fokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    8,675

    Default


    Last edited by Fokken; 06-05-2014 at 11:07 AM.

  4. #124
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    2,659

    Default

    I think KF meant one where it'd actually be acknowledged.

    At this stage, even comics wise, those two are pretty borderline. Loki is more by default because of the Tumblr folk and a comment from his current writer and Mystique was like, one woman, decades ago
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

  5. #125
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,979

    Default

    Freedom Ring is my top. Poor dude.

  6. #126
    Astonishing Member Beetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Here's hoping. I mean I don't read GoG; but they are (arguably) the most famous lesbian couple at Marvel; and I always support fans getting back the characters they love (even if I don't read the comic). Plus it would be great to finally get an LGBT character in the Marvel Film Universe.


    To be fair to Bendis he's been pretty good at supporting LGBT characters. He created Victoria Hand and Benjamin Deeds (fulfilling his promise that one of his cast was LGBT -- take not Hickman!!!); and he brought Daken into the Dark Avengers, giving him a MAJOR profile boost and resulting in (arguably) the first ever LGBT solo series at Marvel. He's also made Billy Sorcerer Supreme in the future X-men; which is pretty cool.
    He killed Victoria Hand at the end of his Avengers run. He also unceremoniously killed Jennifer Kale who was bisexual.

    Mystique had an ongoing series long before Daken.

  7. #127
    Mighty Member NexusTenebrare's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post

    The MCU isn't the same as the comic universe.
    As such there is no real reason to assume that Mystique in the MCU is actually bisexual. Same with Loki.

    Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Freedom Ring is my top. Poor dude.
    A little too much information there. ;P

  8. #128
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Freedom Ring is my top. Poor dude.

    he got it in the bottom; literally.

  9. #129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    He killed Victoria Hand at the end of his Avengers run. He also unceremoniously killed Jennifer Kale who was bisexual.

    Mystique had an ongoing series long before Daken.
    Jennifer Kale isn't necessarily dead. She seemed to teleport away. Easy enough for a writer to bring her back, if they want to. Which they should, because she's a neat character.

    Mystique's actually not openly bisexual. Even her relationship with Destiny has never actually been stated, on-panel, as a romantic one. And Destiny's the only woman she's shown a real interest in. And the fact that she's supposed to be LGBT never came up at all during her solo run.

    Mystique is arguably Marvel's most famous LGBT character, and she's still essentially in the closet about it. Mystique is, for all intents and purposes, straight.

  10. #130
    Astonishing Member Beetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Jennifer Kale isn't necessarily dead. She seemed to teleport away. Easy enough for a writer to bring her back, if they want to. Which they should, because she's a neat character.

    Mystique's actually not openly bisexual. Even her relationship with Destiny has never actually been stated, on-panel, as a romantic one. And Destiny's the only woman she's shown a real interest in. And the fact that she's supposed to be LGBT never came up at all during her solo run.

    Mystique is arguably Marvel's most famous LGBT character, and she's still essentially in the closet about it. Mystique is, for all intents and purposes, straight.
    Until its retconned Jennifer is dead. And so is Victoria. Meanwhile Daimon, the straight white guy lives. Bendis is not exactly the greatest ally

    So America Chavez counts as a lesbian even though she's never called herself one or expressed actual interest in a woman, only saying she doesn't like guys. And it needed to be confirmed by Gillen on tumblr.

    But Mystique is "straight" instead of bisexual because she mostly dates men? And her relationship with Destiny is "unconfirmed", even though they lived together for years and raised Rogue (who called them both mama) and its been confirmed by writers? Kind of a double standard there.

    Mystique may never date another woman in our lifetime, but that doesn't make her straight. She doesn't stop being bisexual just because she sleeps with men.

  11. #131
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    12,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Until its retconned Jennifer is dead. And so is Victoria. Meanwhile Daimon, the straight white guy lives. Bendis is not exactly the greatest ally

    So America Chavez counts as a lesbian even though she's never called herself one or expressed actual interest in a woman, only saying she doesn't like guys. And it needed to be confirmed by Gillen on tumblr.

    But Mystique is "straight" instead of bisexual because she mostly dates men? And her relationship with Destiny is "unconfirmed", even though they lived together for years and raised Rogue (who called them both mama) and its been confirmed by writers? Kind of a double standard there.

    Mystique may never date another woman in our lifetime, but that doesn't make her straight. She doesn't stop being bisexual just because she sleeps with men.
    To be fair, I don't think a write necessarily has to have their characters just out and out say it for it to be true. In fact, that can actually be a bad thing at times. It's pretty damn obvious that MAC was a lesbian, a lot of people caught onto it pretty quickly. Just like a lot of people caught onto Wiccan and Hulkling being gay and in a relationship during the first YA series, before it was confirmed outright. It's called subtext, and hinting, and reading between the lines. And it can sometimes be more interesting then just having the characters say "I'm gay."

  12. #132
    Astonishing Member Beetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    To be fair, I don't think a write necessarily has to have their characters just out and out say it for it to be true. In fact, that can actually be a bad thing at times. It's pretty damn obvious that MAC was a lesbian, a lot of people caught onto it pretty quickly. Just like a lot of people caught onto Wiccan and Hulkling being gay and in a relationship during the first YA series, before it was confirmed outright. It's called subtext, and hinting, and reading between the lines. And it can sometimes be more interesting then just having the characters say "I'm gay."
    Obvious how? She had two mothers so she must be a lesbian too? That's opening a whole can of worms. She barely talked to other female characters in the first 13 issues of YA and didn't have an actual conversation with Kate until the 14th. In the end all she said was that she didn't like boys. She never said she likes girls instead.

  13. #133
    Extraordinary Member Fokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    8,675

    Default

    Just teasin' kids.

  14. #134
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    2,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Obvious how? She had two mothers so she must be a lesbian too? That's opening a whole can of worms. She barely talked to other female characters in the first 13 issues of YA and didn't have an actual conversation with Kate until the 14th. In the end all she said was that she didn't like boys. She never said she likes girls instead.
    I wouldnt say it was obvious all the way through, but it was by the end.

    By saying she doesn't like boys, she's made it canon clear to most she's a lesbian, which a lot more canon than Mystique's bisexuality has ever been explicitly made. The other option would be a-sexuality. Or animals.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

  15. #135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Until its retconned Jennifer is dead. And so is Victoria. Meanwhile Daimon, the straight white guy lives. Bendis is not exactly the greatest ally
    With Jennifer, we never saw a body. We saw her teleport away. To me, it actually looked more like she teleported away in order to stay alive.

    So America Chavez counts as a lesbian even though she's never called herself one or expressed actual interest in a woman, only saying she doesn't like guys. And it needed to be confirmed by Gillen on tumblr.
    With Chavez, she did at least state that she's not interested in men. She could be gay, or she could be asexual. Gay is more likely, but asexuality is certainly a possibility, and until we get on-panel confirmation one way or the other, the best we can do is say she's not straight.

    But Mystique is "straight" instead of bisexual because she mostly dates men? And her relationship with Destiny is "unconfirmed", even though they lived together for years and raised Rogue (who called them both mama) and its been confirmed by writers? Kind of a double standard there.

    Mystique may never date another woman in our lifetime, but that doesn't make her straight. She doesn't stop being bisexual just because she sleeps with men.
    Right now, Mystique is basically "straight with an exception." There's nothing on-panel that actually confirms any sexual or romantic interest in women other than Destiny, while there's extensive evidence of romantic and sexual interest in men. And even her relationship with Destiny was largely subtext (partly because Destiny died before the ban on gay characters was lifted).

    I'm not attracted to men. If I wind up falling in love with a guy, I'm still going to identify as straight, because I still wouldn't be attracted to men. That's the situation, right now, with Mystique, at least until some writer actually decides to put something on-panel that does confirm that, yes, she is, in fact, bisexual. She is, at the absolute best, a closeted bisexual.

    And no, a woman doesn't stop being bisexual just because she sleeps with men. But when she exclusively sleeps with men, flirts exclusively with men, and otherwise shows an interest exclusively in men, then she definitely leans a lot more towards the straight end of the spectrum.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •