View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 916 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 4168168669069129139149159169179189199209269661016 ... LastLast
Results 13,726 to 13,740 of 16972
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Did the Eternals have any LGBTQ character? I'm not very familiar with the group.
    None that have been formally/officially outed as of yet, but fandom tends to speculate or assume that most of them (and most immortals in general) are.

Eros/Starfox HAS been at least implied to be bisexual. He's not one of the Earth-based Eternals, but rather one of their Titan-based cousins--but he IS a character who is rumoured to be in the movie based on previously leaked casting info.

Makkari has been speculated to be gay or bi before, partly due to his close friendship with Quasar (Wendell) back in the original QUASAR series. The two of them were mistaken for a couple once.

Gilgamesh has also sometimes been speculated to be gay, largely due to his close friendship with Ekindu in mythology....plus he's never had a female love interest or really displayed much interest in women in his (relatively few) comics appearances.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    None that have been formally/officially outed as of yet, but fandom tends to speculate or assume that most of them (and most immortals in general) are.

Eros/Starfox HAS been at least implied to be bisexual. He's not one of the Earth-based Eternals, but rather one of their Titan-based cousins--but he IS a character who is rumoured to be in the movie based on previously leaked casting info.

Makkari has been speculated to be gay or bi before, partly due to his close friendship with Quasar (Wendell) back in the original QUASAR series. The two of them were mistaken for a couple once.

Gilgamesh has also sometimes been speculated to be gay, largely due to his close friendship with Ekindu in mythology....plus he's never had a female love interest or really displayed much interest in women in his (relatively few) comics appearances.
    I wasn't even thinking of the Titan-based Eternals. I mean, if we're counting them, then we obviously have the Vell kids, who are half-Eternals. Which reminds me their mom Elysius was also a name that popped up in the possible casting call for the movie, so it IS possible we'll see them. I'd love to see Eros in the movie as well.

Never heard of the Makkari/Gilgamesh speculation before. Those characters are so obscure that I think Marvel can probably get away with turning anyone queer, honestly (even though I'm sure the usual suspects would still cry about them ruining their childhood no matter what, ha).

I hope someone questions Kevin Feige about this rumor. I'd love to get a confirmation before I get too excited for anything.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

I cant find it right now, but I'm certain I've read before that Mark Gruenwald always planned to make Quasar bi, or at least question himself, and the Makkari thing possibly cannon, but editors in the early 90s didnt want that.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    The biggest problem with the name Shade is that it's a reference that would instantly date the character. I'm not sure if "Shade" will be around in 20 years, but I don't think people will be saying "throw shade".

That said, it's a cool name and they could always just update/expand her* powers?

(*Is Shade a male identifying drag queen or Trans? I don't want to misgender, and I don't read X-Men so I just know about the character from articles.)
    One little issue with the name Shade.

DC Comics has a gay black male using that name now (or at least when Young Animal starts back up).

It happened in the last issue of Shade the Changling Woman.

Ngl, I kind of got super happy when I read about that yesterday. I feel kinda dumb, cause it's not confirmed, and I don't even know anything about Eternals, and they might as well cut it and **** like with Valkyrie, but yeah... I really hope it's true and the character is actually gonna be show to be gay in the movie. It would also make me pretty hopeful for Billy/Teddy, considering all the possible YA rumors and hints, and Iceman now that they'll get the X-Men soon... I should probably be a little more negative, or should I say, realistic lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    That's a little disappointing. Shade was such a fun and fitting name for the character. Darkveil sounds like something a straight person would come up with for her. But ok, I guess, as long as they keep using the character.

I don't think this has much to do with DC having a character with the same name, though. Don't both publishers have a character named Enchantress, which has never really been a problem, as far as I know? I think as long as both companies are not fighting for the trademark, it shouldn't be a problem. Would Marvel even want a trademark for Shade? It's not like she's getting her own comic, animation, show/movie or merch anytime soon (not that I would complain if she did, though)...
    Maybe Shade/Darkveil can show up in the upcoming Dazzler and Tigra cartoon.

I was just about to say how Hercules might not even be in the movie, but then I remembered there were also news about a casting call for someone ''who looks like a greek god'', so it's possible they might try to introduce greek mythology in the movie, specially since apparently Gilgamesh is also rumored to appear, and he has some history with the greek mythology in the Marvel Comics. As a matter of fact, he was Herc's roommate on the last Herc book, and I was lowkey shipping them.

Anyway, there is nothing I would love more than an openly queer Hercules in the MCU! After so many years of straight-washed adaptions of the character, it'd really feel like justice is finally being done.

I agree with this. I think portraying Herc as non-straight would probably generate enough buzz for people to focus on something other than the similarities with Thor. It could actually be a great marketing strategy. God, I hate being excited about this, because if it turns out to be false or something completely irrelevant, I'm going to be so disappointed.
    The more I think about it, the more it makes sense, the MCU focused more on the Asgardians being advanced aliens with long lifespans, rather than traditional gods.
    So combining the Eternals (who are explicitly evolved humans who are godlike) with the Greek pantheon of Gods that inspired them (but are separate in the comics) is just consolidation.
    And using Hercules, who is probably the most famous Greek hero and demigod as a face for the Eternals could work.

And if I recall correctly there was even some speculation from Thena back during Incredible Hercules that Herc actually was one of her fellow Eternals, but he dismissed it at the time.

And making Herc explicitly queer would be amazing, and let's face it a nice middle finger to those at Marvel who were adamant that Hercules was only queer in an alternate universe.
    The only way it could make me happier is if he had a male love interest who wasn't played by another white guy, but baby steps.

Going to be so disappointed if this rumor doesn't pan out

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Ngl, I kind of got super happy when I read about that yesterday. I feel kinda dumb, cause it's not confirmed, and I don't even know anything about Eternals, and they might as well cut it and **** like with Valkyrie, but yeah... I really hope it's true and the character is actually gonna be show to be gay in the movie. It would also make me pretty hopeful for Billy/Teddy, considering all the possible YA rumors and hints, and Iceman now that they'll get the X-Men soon... I should probably be a little more negative, or should I say, realistic lol.
    I think what makes this different from the Valkyrie and Ayo situation is that the rumor says they are actively looking for a gay actor. I don't think this has been a requirement for any Marvel role in the past, so there HAS to be something different about this one, assuming it's true.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    I cant find it right now, but I'm certain I've read before that Mark Gruenwald always planned to make Quasar bi, or at least question himself, and the Makkari thing possibly cannon, but editors in the early 90s didnt want that.
    If you ever find it, let us know. I have heard rumour of that before, but I have never been able to find an actual source for it. It wouldn't surprise me if it were true though--there were just a bunch of little things throughout the series. He did have the two of them mistaken as a couple once; showed quite a bit of physical affection between them (hugging, etc); in one issue Makkari was reading the newspaper, and we can see the headline is about Northstar coming out as gay, etc.

Astonishing Member

The Week In Gay:

Age Of X-Man: X-Tremists #1 - We've got a team with Northstar, Iceman and Psylocke, written by Leah Williams.

West Coast Avengers #8 - more America Chavez, Ramone and Noh-Varr

X-Force #3 - Shatterstar

Captain Marvel: Braver & Mightier - this standalone one-shot has a brief appearance by Glory, the lesbian Alpha Flight cadet from Stohl's run, helping Carol against an alien attack. Unfortunately the artist drew her to look more like A'di (the other female cadet), but the dialogue clearly identifies her as Glory. The art glitch can be explained away as Glory getting a new haircut, since we don't see her from the waist down (Glory has cybernetic legs) and the lighting in the shuttle hides whether or not her skin colour is correct.

Superior Spider-Man #3 - Skein (and the rest of the Night Shift) continue to appear as supporting characters.

Avengers: No Road Home #3

Did I miss anything?

I never knew it was offensive to want a gay actor for a gay role.

It also seems like things have changed from "I just want characters that happen to be gay" to "The character should only be gay if the story is about being gay".
    I wonder when this line of thought changed.

Plus I never knew there were so many Eternal fans when I could've sworn most people barely knew or cared about them.
    Last edited by Crimz; 03-03-2019 at 03:32 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Incredible Member

For Makkari, there's this on/off relationship with Sersei through centuries that makes him at least bi, but given the lifespan of the Eternals I'm sure talking of sexual orientation seems rather meaningless for someone who was already having fun during ancient Greece!
    I'd go for Ikaris, the stereotype of the perfect male, everybody expect him to be the leader who gets the girl in a classic superheroe movie, let's shake that a little!
    Since the Eternals go through history, let's say he was Alexander the Great!

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    The biggest problem with the name Shade is that it's a reference that would instantly date the character. I'm not sure if "Shade" will be around in 20 years, but I don't think people will be saying "throw shade".
    It's kinda like Night Thrasher and how quickly that name became dated. I think there was even an appearance in a much later comic where someone intimated that it sounds like a masturbation reference when you forget it was inspired by early 90s skateboard slang.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I never knew it was offensive to want a gay actor for a gay role.

It also seems like things have changed from "I just want characters that happen to be gay" to "The character should only be gay if the story is about being gay".
    I wonder when this line of thought changed.

Plus I never knew there were so many Eternal fans when I could've sworn most people barely knew or cared about them.
    If it gives them a shot to attack something that they don't like-they will take it.

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Hmm I always found the Eternals interesting. Really liked Neil Gaiman's mini - pity it didn't really follow up. Loved Sersi in the Avengers, but was indifferent to Gilgamesh during his short-lived Avengers tenure.
    My guess is that the gay character is probably Gilgamesh or more likely Sprite.

They're allegedly searching for a 30-40 actor who "looks like a superhero". I don't think it's this kid lol.