View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 919 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 4198198699099159169179189199209219229239299691019 ... LastLast
Results 13,771 to 13,785 of 16973

"We can't have LGBT representation because other places are homophobic!" is a terrible excuse.

We can have progress without worrying about them wringing hands in China or Russia. Eventually that progress will spread too.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    "We can't have LGBT representation because other places are homophobic!" is a terrible excuse.

We can have progress without worrying about them wringing hands in China or Russia. Eventually that progress will spread too.
    But China has been the weapon they have used. Against Black movies or even casting a black person in some films.

Sooner or later that excuse has to go away.

You can't keep ignoring all the films that were hits without that market. Kevin Hart made a career of it.

I mean Disney has had LGBTQ folks in their shows on Disney channel. If they are fine with that why are they NOT fine with in a Marvel film.

What do they fear? The person will run around for 2 hours screaming that they are gay?

Hey, I don't agree with it or anything.
    It's just the reality of how big movie studios tend to think.
    #EmmaWasRight

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Someone asked Kevin Feige about LGBTQ heroes in the MCU for the millionth time and he said ''it's percolating'', whatever the heck that means.

Not sure what you meant by that, but I actually think it's harder for Disney to do it than Marvel. The very nature of the superhero genre, with all the violence and such, makes it a tad more mature than what you would usually get on a Disney-branded movie. Plus, the MCU has had some dirty/suggestive jokes/moments, not to mention curse words, something you'd NEVER get on a Disney-branded movie. So if Disney is doing it, then I actually think this is a great sign for Marvel.
    "It's percolating" probably means; people want us to do it but we're still too nervous about losing any money so we're not going to commit one way or another to avoid pissing-off either side.

I don't think superhero movies being more "mature" than ordinary Disney movies has anything to do with it, the Marvel superhero movies are still hugely popular with younger audiences. The Disney movie that's going to have a gay character in it also sounds like more of a low-profile movie, it's not one of their blockbuster franchises or a remake of one of their animated classics.

That doesn't change the fact that Disney/Marvel and other big movie studios want to make as much money as possible off of these movies and that includes making money in anti-gay countries. Progress "eventually spreading" to those countries doesn't mean it's going to happen anytime soon, it will likely take several decades.

I know that people have claimed that international markets would hold back films with female leads or starring POC and that's been proven false, but the same can't be said for LGBT characters.

And Disney/Marvel has also explicitly tried to please the Chinese market in the past. They changed The Ancient One from being a Tibetan man to a Caucasian woman and changed the location from Tibet to Nepal in Doctor Strange to avoid the movie getting banned, they added two characters to Rogue One, Chirrut Imwe and Baze Malbus played by actors famous in China to try to generate more interest from Chinese audiences, and they held a demonstration at the Great Wall of China with 500 extras dressed as stormtroopers to try to build hype for The Force Awakens in the country. Disney's efforts to get as much money out of China for the Star Wars films have been unsuccessful so far but it shows that they're willing to bend over backwards to try.

The Chinese government only allows certain American films to be released in their country and if they reject a movie because of a gay lead character then Disney/Marvel loses out on a whole lot of money that they want and I don't trust a corporation to choose representation for the gay community over more profits.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I'm pretty sure Black Cat is bisexual.
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    She mentioned having girlfriends in the early 00s and then it was never brought up again.
    Pretty much. Also her alternate-future version in the SPIDER-GIRL series was shown in a same-sex relationship. Not that alternate timeline versions are necessarily relevant to the 616 version, but it does help reinforce the notion.

Black Cat has definitely been portrayed as more into guys than women, but it doesn't erase the fact that she was established to be bi. With her getting her own solo book later this year, maybe her bisexuality will get referenced again.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    The Disney movie that's going to have a gay character in it also sounds like more of a low-profile movie, it's not one of their blockbuster franchises or a remake of one of their animated classics.
    Have to disagree with that assessment. It's an expensive family action-adventure film starring the Rock, arguably the biggest star on the planet right now. That's not some indie drama that's gonna play for two weeks in LA and then disappear.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Have to disagree with that assessment. It's an expensive family action-adventure film starring the Rock, arguably the biggest star on the planet right now. That's not some indie drama that's gonna play for two weeks in LA and then disappear.
    It still remains to be seen how the movie does and how the gay character is received by audiences. I still believe that including an openly gay character in a mega-blockbuster franchise like the Avengers or Star Wars would be different and far less likely.

Astonishing Member

https://twitter.com/NewMutantsUp/sta...588420613?s=19 Rahna and Dani are going to be a couple. (Alegely)

I mean Illyana was right there...and the New Mutants had a canon Asian lesbian the filmmaker conveniently left out of the movie as well.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Zero interest. Rahne still has stink on her from the way she handled Rictor/Shatterstar for me.

She doesnt deserve to be in that place.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

It's just hard to be excited about anything in regards to New Mutants for me...

First of all I have never been much into Fox movies in general. Second, I'm not a big New Mutants fan and the trailers and co didn't catch my interesting. Third, the shameless whitewashing bothers me a lot. Fourth, the movie has been delayed sooo much that all the general hype for it has been lost. Fifth(I'm starting to feel dumb with this numbering....) they apparently had super major reshoots that changed half the movie which is eehh... Then, Disney buying Fox, which seems to be closing soon. And thanks to it, there's a chance this movie doesn't even get released, at least not in theathers.

And lastly, those characters don't even have a relationship or are gay in the comics, so even if I welcome a change like that, it feels a bit random and not as exciting, for me at least.

Still don’t care about the film for erasing Karma despite this being an origin story, whitewashing Sunspot & Cece Reyes, and hiring an ambiguously white-passing Native American person for a typically brown-skin Cheyenne mutant.

Also, can we stop blaming China/Russia for us not having gay or trans people in our movies. The only ones stopping LGBTQ diversity are the directors who are intentionally leaving those characters and concepts out of the narrative. I’m not saying those countries don’t have problems with the community, but there is a LOT of blame taken off of American directors and companies when they’re the only ones in the way of progress.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/mobile/...-gay-superhero

Christo-fascists are at it again. Hating the 'sin', but 'loving' the 'sinner'...

Noting that the homosexual lifestyle has proved to be dangerous, including physical and mental health issues, the petition recalls the words of the fictional Ben Parker, who tells the future Spider-Man “with great power comes great responsibility,” and asks Marvel Studios to be responsible and refrain from sexualizing children and teenagers.

"But, regarding the practice of homosexuality, the real world offers a much harder lesson, based in reality … specifically, a far higher incidence of serious physical and mental health problems among practising homosexuals than among the general population,” the petition states.
    Last edited by zinderel; 03-15-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    https://www.lifesitenews.com/mobile/...-gay-superhero

Christo-fascists are at it again. Hating the 'sin', but 'loving' the 'sinner'...
    Let's hope Marvel/Disney use their great power to show everyone it's their responsibility to correct and change the minds of these people so that the next generation is without the constant prejudices of the last.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Zero interest. Rahne still has stink on her from the way she handled Rictor/Shatterstar for me.

She doesnt deserve to be in that place.
    I take more issue with the fact she killed an innocent gay mutant after stalking him and never faced any consequences over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Still don’t care about the film for erasing Karma despite this being an origin story, whitewashing Sunspot & Cece Reyes, and hiring an ambiguously white-passing Native American person for a typically brown-skin Cheyenne mutant.

Also, can we stop blaming China/Russia for us not having gay or trans people in our movies. The only ones stopping LGBTQ diversity are the directors who are intentionally leaving those characters and concepts out of the narrative. I’m not saying those countries don’t have problems with the community, but there is a LOT of blame taken off of American directors and companies when they’re the only ones in the way of progress.
    The directors are definitely to blame, but the reason for why the directors do it is those countries.
    And one should never give Russia a pass on its anti-gay bullshit. What it does to its gay population are basic human rights violations and the rest of the world just doesn't dare call them out on it.
    #EmmaWasRight