View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
726. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

26 3.58%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.65%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

20 2.75%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

42 5.79%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

35 4.82%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

38 5.23%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

42 5.79%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

60 8.26%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

38 5.23%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

107 14.74%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

59 8.13%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

21 2.89%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

35 4.82%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

44 6.06%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

147 20.25%
Page 933 of 952 FirstFirst ... 433833883923929930931932933934935936937943 ... LastLast
Results 13,981 to 13,995 of 14278

What's everyone's opinion on Northstar's marriage? I know most don't like Kyle, mainly because of his perceived neediness or selfish behavior. But my problem wasn't with Kyle per-se, I just think it's hard for any superhero relationship, regardless of sexuality, to seem interesting when one of the lover is a non-hero. Double with the fact that despite being the first, Northstar is C-list hero who is barely on the team and is not popular enough to have his own series.
    I would have rather see Jean-Paul unmarried and gotten closer with Bobby -- not so they would get together romantically, but for Jean-Paul to be that friend Bobby needed when handling his self-acceptance. Maybe after a few years of tight friendship then maybe a relationship.

Another question: Who else is pissed that Mystique hasn't had a relationship, sexual or otherwise, with another woman since the death of her one true love, Irene? Everyone knew Claremont made it perfectly clear those two were in a relationship, but every writer since has couple Raven with men, from Logan, Gambit, to even Bobby of all people.

I enjoy non-heroes and heroes being romantically tied. Its a fun outsider-looking-in perspective to explore. I'm particularly fond of when these non-hero-type-love-interests make commentary on absurdities of the hero life.

That being said, I've never warmed to Kyle -- but I feel that isn't his fault. I don't DIS like Kyle. Its my own bias. I'm one of those "I wish he and Bobby wound up having some kind of something" readers.
    I'm not saying it had to be love or marriage but it was an angle I very much wanted to see explored, however briefly.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    What's everyone's opinion on Northstar's marriage?
    Kyle bores the crap out of me. I'd rather JP be single, or hooked up with (or married to) someone who is somehow relevant to the super-community (not necessarily a fellow super-hero, but a doctor who specializes in mutant / superhuman / xeno-medicine, or whatever, so that there's a reason for him to appear when JP does, or even, gasp, to appear *by himself* without being JP's plus one).

That said, this hypothetical boyfriend/husband could just as easily *be* Kyle, if he was written / developed in that sort of direction, wanting to get more involved in Jean-Paul's life, and getting involved with other mutants / superheroes / etc. so that he *becomes* more than just 'the old ball-and-chain' that nobody wants to see cluttering up the scene. (Obviously he's not suitable to be a superhero doctor, but perhaps his businessman aspect could be transitioned into a more PR / media / or even political bent? Kyle as mayor of some Canadian city that opens itself up as a mutant sanctuary, or appointee to the UN for mutant relations, or whatever, could give him something story-relevant to do other than 'be Jean-Paul's husband' or the hostage-of-the-week that JP has to rescue again.)

Another question: Who else is pissed that Mystique hasn't had a relationship, sexual or otherwise, with another woman since the death of her one true love, Irene? Everyone knew Claremont made it perfectly clear those two were in a relationship, but every writer since has couple Raven with men, from Logan, Gambit, to even Bobby of all people.
    Mystique's sexuality puzzles me. I've never seen any indication that she's had feelings for anyone other than Destiny, which could suggest that she's not even bisexual, but a full on gay woman who is totally mercenary about sleeping with any man she's using that week, being no more sexually attracted to (or in love with) that man than with a vibrator or a box of tissues.

But I've never seen any indication that she's had that sort of feelings for *anyone* other than Irene, and a sample size of 1 doesn't really 'prove' anything. It might not be 'women' that she's into, either. It might only ever have been 'Irene.'

Perhaps she just finds men easier to manipulate with sex.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Kyle bores the crap out of me. I'd rather JP be single, or hooked up with (or married to) someone who is somehow relevant to the super-community (not necessarily a fellow super-hero, but a doctor who specializes in mutant / superhuman / xeno-medicine, or whatever, so that there's a reason for him to appear when JP does, or even, gasp, to appear *by himself* without being JP's plus one).

That said, this hypothetical boyfriend/husband could just as easily *be* Kyle, if he was written / developed in that sort of direction, wanting to get more involved in Jean-Paul's life, and getting involved with other mutants / superheroes / etc. so that he *becomes* more than just 'the old ball-and-chain' that nobody wants to see cluttering up the scene. (Obviously he's not suitable to be a superhero doctor, but perhaps his businessman aspect could be transitioned into a more PR / media / or even political bent? Kyle as mayor of some Canadian city that opens itself up as a mutant sanctuary, or appointee to the UN for mutant relations, or whatever, could give him something story-relevant to do other than 'be Jean-Paul's husband' or the hostage-of-the-week that JP has to rescue again.)

Mystique's sexuality puzzles me. I've never seen any indication that she's had feelings for anyone other than Destiny, which could suggest that she's not even bisexual, but a full on gay woman who is totally mercenary about sleeping with any man she's using that week, being no more sexually attracted to (or in love with) that man than with a vibrator or a box of tissues.

But I've never seen any indication that she's had that sort of feelings for *anyone* other than Irene, and a sample size of 1 doesn't really 'prove' anything. It might not be 'women' that she's into, either. It might only ever have been 'Irene.'

Perhaps she just finds men easier to manipulate with sex.
    That could be nice, but the X-Men hardly use their doctors as it is. And lets not forget how Scott is not using Xian's business ties right now. It hasn't been explained what happened to her business, so in theory, she should simply walk in and take it back over. Hopefully Prodigy is running things and he could have been a great IT guy. There is no need for this "We need to hide out in a bar's basement" crap. Xian is up there with Warren and Emma when it comes to money and resources.

As for Raven, I think it's has to do with Marvel's aversion with Lesbianism and/or Bisexuality. It's more "fun" and limiting to see the bad-girl/vixen use her feminine wilds to seduce stupid men than manipulating women.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I'd be interested in reading the full thing. Right off the bat, I think I'd dispute the idea that Wiccan being femmey made him more acceptable to straight readers. On the contrary, I've seen a lot of straight readers make the claim that they prefer gay characters who "aren't so in your face about being gay" a number of times. I.E., I've seen people lament the late Freedom Ring for supposedly being more of a "man's man" than a typical gay superhero, even though that's somewhat debatable in itself.
    I totally get your point, but that's looking at Billy as an individual character. When it comes to gay couples, it's undeniable that A LOT of straight people project heteronormative/homonormative expectations onto them. I bet we ALL have heard the infamous ''who's the guy and who's the girl of the relationship'' question at some point, right? And they don't even realize why that is a bad question. So maybe that's the point that the author was trying to make? Not that a fem-perceived gay guy will always be embraced individually, but that in a romantic setting, it's easier for straight audiences to ''digest'' a gay couple if they perceive one of them as the female and one of them as the male. I actually agree with that notion, even if I don't necessarily agree that that is the intention behind Billy's and Teddy's portrayal, from my personal point of view. I've said this before, but part of what makes them so relatable to me is the fact that I've never interpreted neither of them on either extreme side of the fem/masc spectrum. They've always come off as somewhere in the middle, and that's part of their appeal to me, as I pretty much feel the same as a gay guy. But different people are gonna have different interpretations of those characters, and I can respect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I feel like whoever designed the look and feel for Hulkling and Wiccan did a pretty cool job of mixing that up, actually. Wiccan gets cast as 'the girl' of the couple (which is pretty heteronormative in itself, to assume that one of them has to take a female role, when both are dudes). Visually, Teddy seems to have more superficially 'female' traits like sculpted hair and face jewelry (and shows more skin, in comics traditionally for the ladies, and Namor....), than Billy, who has, IMO, a more, shall we say, 'thrown together' look. A focus on his appearance is even part of his backstory with his friend exploiting his ability to change his appearance. Most relevantly, which one drives the story, and which one stands behind and more or less 'supports her man?' It's almost always Billy driving the story, while Teddy is, at best, in the passenger seat, holding the map.
    That's an interesting perspective. I can see your point regarding their look in civilian form, but what about their hero look? Specially after McKelvie's design, I think Billy has a more flamboyant costume in comparison to Teddy, which is something that could also influence people's visual notion of him being more fem-perceived, since superhero designs tend to stick out more than civilian designs. Also, it's funny that you mentioned that, because in the preview pages we got for the upcoming Death's Head miniseries featuring Billy and Teddy, it's actually the opposite: Teddy had a more thrown together look, while Billy was wearing a bunch of accessories and even fake long black nails. That's probably the most fem-perceived civilian look he's ever had.

The Death's Head thing is gonna be such a let down for me. I'm not one to preemptively whine but.... well... Whaaa.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    The Death's Head thing is gonna be such a let down for me. I'm not one to preemptively whine but.... well... Whaaa.
    Did I just read that correctly? Fokken, of all people, is having a NEGATIVE opinion on an upcoming Wiccan and Hulkling story?

But seriously, why do you think it's going to be a let down?

That preview image showed the boys in their Heinberg era attire. I know, I know, I KNOW -- its probably silly to judge on the outfits ALONE but I've such high hopes for any and all appearances I'm finding myself easily let down by those kinds of "errors".

Maybe error is too strong a word but...inaccuracies? I still don't really understand the premise of their involvement so I'm also IGNORANT AF but the aesthetic thing got me shook. <lowers head in shame>

https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/04/15/...-howard-387029
    Last edited by Fokken; 04-22-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Kate's still wearing her costume with the stupid hip holes

god bless the hip holes, they're ICONIC
    heroine addict we love you come back

I'm just happy we're seeing Wiccan & Hulkling in anything in the year 2019. It's been so long since their time in New Avengers. I don't think they really fit into the Death's Head mini either, but more content is more content. And it's only a mini, so the door could be open to them doing something more substantial as soon as it ends. The fact that we're seeing them in both Death's Head and that War Scrolls thing this summer makes me cautiously hopeful more could be on the horizon for them or the YA generally.

Also, agreed re: Kate's hip holes being iconic.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Ok, so I kinda want to vent about something to other gay superhero fans so please bare with me if this turns into a very cynical rant.

I've been pretty frustrated with all the rumours and lack of confirmed info from Marvel about this upcoming Eternals movie. I have never expected Marvel (or any other studio for that matter) to give us the gay equivalent of Black Panther or Wonder Woman/Captain Marvel. As much as I would love to go see a movie about a gay male superhero and then walk out of the theatre with my hands stretched to the sky and tears running down my face while I shout; "Finally! FINALLYYYYY!" I just don't expect that to ever happen.

When these rumours of Marvel looking for an openly gay actor to play the lead character in an upcoming movie started I was skeptical and obviously I still am, but nonetheless I still felt the glimmer of hope. However as the weeks have gone by and the rumours have changed again and again, it feels like each time the glimmer of hope fades more and more.

What I mean is that I was hoping that The Eternals would finally give us a full-fledged gay superhero on the big screen, the gay equivalent of Captain America, Thor, Superman, Black Panther, etc. But what little information about this movie that there is suggests that it won't do that. The rumours kept changing and now it doesn't sound like the gay character is going to be the real "lead" in this movie. It looks more and more like this will be a film centered around a different character, most likely Angelina Jolie's character, and that any gay character (if there even is one) will be just a minor supporting character in a crowded cast.

My hope that we would finally see a gay man driving the plot and being in the center of the action and admiration of a mainstream blockbuster movie has now been replaced with the suspicion that the gay character is going to be the supportive friend who helps the main character(s) regain their confidence so they can be the one(s) to defeat the villain and save the day.

I might be wrong about this, I certainly hope that I am wrong. Maybe the gay character will be central to the plot of the story, maybe he'll get a cool action scene, maybe he'll even get a compelling story arc... or maybe he'll spend most of the movie's runtime standing in the background lending words of encouragement. The character has been described as “intellectual, emotional, and has a strong sense of family”, maybe that description can apply to a wide range of characters and I'm worried over nothing. Maybe I should just be happy that they might include a gay character at all even if he is just a minor supporting figure instead of the new Thor. I don't know, I just wish Marvel would hurry up and give us some concrete details about this movie and what we can expect.

Mighty Member

A little late, but here is...

The Week In Gay:

Age Of X-Man: Amazing Nightcrawler #3 of 5 - Mystique is in this

Age Of X-Man: NextGen #3 of 5 - Anole

Avengers: No Road Home #10 - cameos by America Chavez, Hulkling and Toni Ho in the real world, as well as cameos of several other LGBT characters in The House Of Ideas. Hercules gets a new status quo.

Guardians Of The Galaxy #4

Thor #12 - Loki is the focus on this issue

Uncanny X-Men #16 - Karma is part of the current ensemble

War Of The Realms #2 of 6 - Valkyrie (Brunnhilde) has a significant involvement in this one

West Coast Avengers #10 - sadly this is the final issue of this very fun series. 4 of the 8 heroes in the book in this issue are LGBT.

Wolverine: Infinity Watch #3 of 5 - Loki co-stars in this. This issue checks in with the Fraternity of Raptors, currently led by Robbie Rider (the younger brother of Nova).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    When these rumours of Marvel looking for an openly gay actor to play the lead character in an upcoming movie started I was skeptical and obviously I still am, but nonetheless I still felt the glimmer of hope. However as the weeks have gone by and the rumours have changed again and again, it feels like each time the glimmer of hope fades more and more.
    Yeah, we read 'gay male lead' and then 'centers around a love story between Ikaris and Sersi.'

That's only gonna work with a 'gay male lead' if Sersi is cast as a dude (and, wow, I almost want to see Angelina Jolie pull *that* off... M. Butterfly, through a mirror, darkly!).

So, instead, I imagine the gay Eternal will be the sexless best friend of Ikaris who gets a few supportive lines in the movie, but is otherwise about as important to the movies narrative as the left rear wheel of a quinjet.

But, really, I think I'd rather that the first major MCU gay male presence on-screen be someone who is already there in the comics. Our African-American (or just plain African) heroes have been Falcon, War Machine and Black Panther, who were already black in the comics. In that vein, rather than inventing a gay Eternal, I'd rather see Hulkling & Wiccan, or Northstar, eventually.

When they say lead they just mean a main character on a team movie. The thing about Ikaris and Sersi was said before it was rumored that there was gonna be a gay character in the movie. Seriously, imagine if they made that Inhumans movie and decided to make, idk, Karnak gay. Would you be "But they say it's gonna focus on Black Bolt and Medusa!!!!" as a complaint? I just don't get it.