View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 973 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 47387392396396997097197297397497597697798310231073 ... LastLast
Results 14,581 to 14,595 of 16971
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    I had seen that Kyle Buchanan tweet before and didn't think much of it because it seems to be pure speculation and he's just saying that Madden is "likely" the gay character. If he had concrete inside info he would know for sure. I hadn't seen the older tweet you linked but again it's just Kyle speculating. I'm still not convinced.
    Well, he DOES seem to have some inside info, since he starts the tweet by saying he heard the film will feature an Eternal/human romance, something that hadn't be officially confirmed by anyone up until that point. It's possible he's throwing some speculation into the mix, but at least seems to be based on stuff he hears about as a journalist. Like I said, he's probably the best source we have so far in comparison to other websites who claimed similar things.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 09-05-2019 at 11:23 AM.

I'm gonna be with MoM on this one. Doesn't seem like much to me.

...in some dystopic brazillian news, the mayor of Rio de Janeiro (a conservative minister of an evangelical church) has demanded to ban YA: Children's Crusade trades from an international book fair in Rio for "exposing sexual content to minors"

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    ...in some dystopic brazillian news, the mayor of Rio de Janeiro (a conservative minister of an evangelical church) has demanded to ban YA: Children's Crusade trades from an international book fair in Rio for "exposing sexual content to minors"
    LOL. It doesn't even surprise me at all. Frozen became a meme within brazilian pop culture because of a brazilian minister who claimed Elsa was a lesbian due to a Neil Gaiman book. I know I should be pissed, specially as I'm brazilian myself, but my first thought to this was: Wiccan and Hulkling pissed off Brazil's homophobic government? THE POWER THAT THEY HAVE. Also, this news will probably be a good promotion for the book, as it will have people talking about it.

Here's the mayor's tweet about it: https://twitter.com/MCrivella/status...52491178831873

People are DRAGGING him in the replies, and I'm living for it. I'm not sure if the ban went through. Hopefully it didn't.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 09-06-2019 at 02:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    LOL. It doesn't even surprise me at all. Frozen became a meme within brazilian pop culture because of a brazilian minister who claimed Elsa was a lesbian due to a Neil Gaiman book. I know I should be pissed, specially as I'm brazilian myself, but my first thought to this was: Wiccan and Hulkling pissed off Brazil's homophobic government? THE POWER THAT THEY HAVE. Also, this news will probably be a good promotion for the book, as it will have people talking about it.

Here's the mayor's tweet about it: https://twitter.com/MCrivella/status...52491178831873

People are DRAGGING him in the replies, and I'm living for it. I'm not sure if the ban went through. Hopefully it didn't.
    First of all, she might have said it for the wrong reasons but she's totally right that Elsa is a lesbian.

Second, yeah, lol, I woke up to those news and I mostly just found it funny... GET THAT PROMO CHILDREN'S CRUSADE. I think I read somewhere that Bienal didn't go through with the ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    First of all, she might have said it for the wrong reasons but she's totally right that Elsa is a lesbian.

Second, yeah, lol, I woke up to those news and I mostly just found it funny... GET THAT PROMO CHILDREN'S CRUSADE. I think I read somewhere that Bienal didn't go through with the ban.
    Just saw the official statement from Bienal. They are not removing the book indeed!

This is just hilarious. Their attempt at censorship did not work AND they promoted the hell out of this book. I'm seeing people on social media saying they're going to the fair just to buy the book now, LMAO. Thanks, homophobes, for doing the lord's work for us.

Some art and a statement from Jim Cheung on the matter:

Teddy & Billy (2019)
    It was with great surprise today, to learn that the mayor of Rio de Janeiro decided to ban the sale of my (and Allan Heinberg’s) book, Avengers:The Children’s Crusade, for alleged inappropriate material.
    For those not familiar with the work from 2010, the controversy involves a kiss between two male characters.
    Now I don’t know what prompted the mayor to seek out a work that is almost a decade old, and that had already been on sale for many years, but I can say honestly, that there was no hidden motivation or agendas behind the work in promoting any particular lifestyle, nor targeting any unique audience. The scene merely depicts a tender moment between two characters who are in an established relationship.
    As an artist, my passion is to tell stories; stories of great heroism, compassion and love, with as authentic and diverse characters as possible. Characters that depict every walk of life and color, whether they be black or white, brown, yellow or green.
    The fact that this book, from almost a decade ago, is now being drawn into the spotlight by the mayor perhaps only highlights how out of touch he might be with the current times. The LGBTQ community is here to stay, and I have nothing but love and support for those who continue to struggle for validity and a voice to be heard.
    I hope the beautiful people of Brazil, the wonderfully diverse and proud nation, will see through this political ‘noise’ and place their focus on the light, and on ways to unite, rather than help sow the seeds of conflict and division

So a quick follow up for anyone who's not following these Brazil news in other threads: the books reportedly sold out on the fair in less than an hour, the sellers might order another batch because of the high demand, and it's also selling out in online stores like the brazilian Amazon. I managed to find one left in stock on one brazilian website, but the price was way higher than normal, probably due to the demand. Who would've thought Children's Crusade, 7 years after its publication, would become a hit in Brazil because of a homophobic politician? We're living in the best timeline.

And the book keeps getting promotion, 'cause the subject blew up on social media and the news. It's also started to get some international attention too, including from The Hollywood Reporter. I'm pretty stunned to see Wiccan and Hulkling all over the (specially brazilian) news like that. Never thought I'd see the day (not without an MCU appearance, at least). It feels like a great synchronicity, now that they're back in comics as well.

@ that Jim post: he's amazing and I love him as usual, but OMG, is that a panel from a new comic? It doesn't look like one of the sketches he does just for fun, and they definitely have the same looks they had on MC #1000! Are we getting a follow-up to that story? PLEASE GOD.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 09-06-2019 at 02:08 PM.

The situation in Brazil is complicated since the last election, right and conservative movements have gained more power but as a Brazilian I guarantee that many do not support this mayor and judges and the order of lawyers in Brazil have already signaled that the city has no legal power under the law to remove the comics.
    Last edited by Knives; 09-06-2019 at 02:23 PM.

BANNED

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume that the mayor of Rio de Janeiro reads comic books too?

"The Children's Crusade was a failed popular crusade by European Christians to regain the Holy Land from the Muslims, said to have taken place in 1212. The crusaders left areas of Northern France, led by Stephen of Cloyes, and Germany, led by Nicholas."
    Last edited by Shreene; 09-06-2019 at 03:00 PM.

If we are indeed getting more Cheung YA work... I hope they get a different colorist than Frank Martin. I was not a fan of the pairing in #1000. Laura Martin, or Matthew Wilson, or somebody.

I nearly had a heart attack when I read that it's been 10 years since Children's Crusade

But then I remembered the delays and the bimonthly shipping schedule and realized it ended in 2012, so that's slightly better

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    The situation in Brazil is complicated since the last election, right and conservative movements have gained more power but as a Brazilian I guarantee that many do not support this mayor and judges and the order of lawyers in Brazil have already signaled that the city has no legal power under the law to remove the comics.
    I hope so, Brazil deserves so much better

Incredible Member

So is the Mayor in an uproar because of the kiss or because it's implied Billy and Teddy were close to having sex?

Quote Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
    So is the Mayor in an uproar because of the kiss or because it's implied Billy and Teddy were close to having sex?
    Nobody even mentioned the story or dialogue at all in all of the news and reports I've seen. The outrage seems to be exclusively aimed at the images of them kissing, touching or sleeping on the same bed.

Anyway, their kiss just got even more iconic as it ended up on the front page of Brazil's biggest newspaper:

AND on the 7th of September (Brazil's Independence Day) issue, nonetheless. It doesn't get any more poetic than that. We've truly lived to see this kiss become a political symbol against homophobic censorship.