View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
757. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

27 3.57%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.59%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

20 2.64%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

44 5.81%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

40 5.28%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

40 5.28%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

43 5.68%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

65 8.59%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

39 5.15%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

110 14.53%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

60 7.93%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

21 2.77%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

38 5.02%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

46 6.08%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

152 20.08%
Page 988 of 1007 FirstFirst ... 488888938978984985986987988989990991992998 ... LastLast
Results 14,806 to 14,820 of 15102
    Spectacular Member AndersonHoran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Use [IMG] [/IMG] with the url in the middle.

So, um, I want Kumail to be playing the gay character. Please and thank you.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Quote Originally Posted by armlessphelan View Post
    So, um, I want Kumail to be playing the gay character. Please and thank you.
    Me too after this......

You're welcome
    GrindrStone(D)

I think this time MOM is right, sorry y'all lol.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Me too after this......
    SAME

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I think this time MOM is right, sorry y'all lol.
    Yeah, it's definitely going to be Phastos.

Honestly I want gay superheroes to be played by gay actors but after seeing the Kumail pics I was like; "Ohh fuck it, why can't he just be the gay character?" I remember when Chris Pratt was first hired to play Star-Lord, James Gunn said he'd support Chris being "the first fat superhero" but then Marvel made him bulk-up anyway. Interesting that Marvel is now apparently ok having a "fat superhero" and he's going to be the gay one too, doesn't really help dispel the idea that Phastos is going to be a token diversity character. Also when Marvel was casting for the gay character they put out a casting call for actors who "physically look like a superhero" and they were looking for an Asian guy for the role before they cast Brian Tyree Henry, Brian must have gave them one hell of an audition.
    Last edited by MasterOfMagnetism; 12-17-2019 at 03:33 AM.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Kumail is looking good as hell. Hopefully this inspires Hollywood to cast him as more than just the quirky, ''ethnic'' sidekick.

I wonder if Brian Tyree Henry had to work out at all for the role? 'Cause I've seen pictures of all male cast members at this point regarding getting in shape for the role, except for him. God, I'll be so disappointed if the gay character is the only one who's not allowed to be a thirst trap.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I wonder if Brian Tyree Henry had to work out at all for the role? 'Cause I've seen pictures of all male cast members at this point regarding getting in shape for the role, except for him. God, I'll be so disappointed if the gay character is the only one who's not allowed to be a thirst trap.
    Yep. Honestly the entire character sounds like he's designed to be as palatable as possible to heterosexual audiences. A single, good-looking hunk who's interested in other men and always rushes in to save the day would be too threatening for straight guys, so instead we're getting a portly scientist who's in a monogamous relationship, raising children and allegedly becomes "disillusioned with humanity." Now granted I can TOTALLY see how an immortal gay man would become disillusioned with humanity over the years, but that doesn't make for a very heroic character.
    Last edited by MasterOfMagnetism; 12-17-2019 at 03:48 AM.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Yep. Honestly the entire character sounds like he's designed to be as palatable as possible to heterosexual audiences. A single, good-looking hunk who's interested in other men and always rushes in to save the day would be too threatening for straight guys, so instead we're getting a portly scientist who's in a monogamous relationship, raising children and allegedly becomes "disillusioned with humanity." Now granted I can TOTALLY see how an immortal gay man would become disillusioned with humanity over the years, but that doesn't make for a very heroic character.
    I mean, don't get me wrong; I think IT'S possible for an overweight, married character to be portrayed as someone with sex appeal. But historically speaking, that's not how Hollywood treats those kind of characters, unfortunately. I mean, just looking at the MCU itself: their most notable overweight character is probably Ned, and yeah, he's definitely not the thirst trap kind of character. He was allowed to have a relationship in Far From Home, but it was completely silly and played for laughs, basically. And then we had Runaways, in which they had the opportunity to have their first plus-size HERO that has a relationship with a hot guy in the form of Gert Yorkes, but they went and cast a thinner actress instead. That doesn't really inspire a lot of confidence as to how Phastos will be treated, if he is the token overweight character... but I hope I'm wrong.

At this point I'm just praying that Phastos gets to be in at least one cool action scene and his marriage/family isn't treated like some sappy after school special.

Brian Tyree Henry is damn fine, so I confess this discourse is funny to me. But of course it not being the thin blonde guy is gonna upset people, I guess. Hollywood usually likes a very specific type of gay man.
    Last edited by Holt; 12-17-2019 at 05:20 AM.

On top of that, we're not getting the 'gay lead' they kept promising. We're getting a secondary character at best.
    They're trying to make him as 'safe' for the fragile heterosexual types as possible.

Astonishing Member

Interesting that Marvel is now apparently ok having a "fat superhero" and he's going to be the gay one too, doesn't really help dispel the idea that Phastos is going to be a token diversity character.
    How is he a token diversity if most of the main cast is diverse and half or most are poc anyway and the main main lead lead is asian.
    So clearly he is not only the poc in the main cast and he is not token.
    Folks need to stop using that word all the time because it use to much lately and incorrectly,unless you meant to say he is the token gay character(meaning the only one in the main lead role who is gay and there is little or no character development in a book or film etc..).

Note-IF he has a meaty enough role by the way he is not token.So it's best to wait to see how strong his development will be is the film.
    Token means the only one and have little to do or not enough character development etc..

Also when Marvel was casting for the gay character they put out a casting call for actors who "physically look like a superhero" and they were looking for an Asian guy for the role before they cast Brian Tyree Henry, Brian must have gave them one hell of an audition.
    Phastos is black in the comics anyway(and not gay) so i don't think were going to make him asian in the mcu.
    There will be alot black men that are going to be upset l when they i some i saw on some youtube videos when dc cw made mr. terrific gay in the arrowverse even if they are not fans of those characters or don't them and knowing they are not gay in the comics.
    Last edited by mace11; 12-17-2019 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    On top of that, we're not getting the 'gay lead' they kept promising. We're getting a secondary character at best.
    They're trying to make him as 'safe' for the fragile heterosexual types as possible.
    Exactly. This is a part of the reason why I think Ikaris was originally supposed to be the gay character and Marvel got cold feet and passed the gay role along to a minor character.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Phastos is black in the comics anyway(and not gay) so i don't think were going to make him asian in the mcu.
    We know from a casting report that they were looking for a gay or bisexual Asian actor to play the role of the gay character and they were considering Conrad Ricamora. Instead they ended up hiring Brian Tyree Henry and because Phastos was the only black Eternal in the comics it made sense to make his character Phastos.

The original casting call for The Eternals didn't even include characters like Kingo and Phastos and they were originally looking for men to play Ajak and Makkari but ended up giving those characters to women. They were clearly auditioning actors to be in the movie and after hiring the ones they liked gave them whichever character from the comics fit the role best.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Brian Tyree Henry is damn fine, so I confess this discourse is funny to me. But of course it not being the thin blonde guy is gonna upset people, I guess. Hollywood usually likes a very specific type of gay man.
    It's beyond ridiculous not to notice the fact that every single heroic character in the MCU movies is ridiculously muscular (even that Kumail guy) and then the first actual gay character they include is the only one who deviates from that norm.
    I could care less that he isn't blond or white or whatever. I would've loved if they had someone like Michael B. Jordan in the role.
    But there is an obvious discrepancy going on between the Phastos character and the rest of the MCU males, who are all fit hunks by design.
    #EmmaWasRight

Str8 guys are afraid of being attracted to the gay ones.