Super Moderator

Default SDCC: Aaron & Gillen Take "Vader Down" in Marvel's First "Star Wars" Crossover Event

Jason Aaron & Kieron Gillen discuss "Vader Down," the six-issue "Star Wars" crossover event beginning in November from from Marvel Comics.

Full article here.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Sounds like fun!

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

Now this is the major comic book event I'm very much looking forward to the most for the end of 2015! I'm very glad that the crossover event with take place within the regular Star Wars and Darth Vader ongoing series, as I was going to buy them on a monthly basis to begin with. The only "extra" expense will be the over-sized one-shot "Vader Down" and that's perfectly fine with me. Can't wait to see Aphra interact with Luke, Leia, Han, and Chewie! I'm especially looking forward to seeing C-3PO and R2-D2 meeting Triple Zero and BT-1.

I haven't been reading Star Wars, but I've been buying every issue. I'll have to read them sometime before November's Vader Down event begins. Didn't buy Kanan past the first issue since I've never watched Star Wars Rebels, plus I would rather buy that series in trades. Darth Vader has been among my favorite ongoing comics I've been buying/reading and I'm glad it's going far past its original 6 issue miniseries status.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

I'm rooting for Vader. "Lets get ready to rummmmmble"!

I hate these kinds of crossovers, I'm only reading the main Star Wars book and don't really want to have to pick up the Vader book to just to understand what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    I hate these kinds of crossovers, I'm only reading the main Star Wars book and don't really want to have to pick up the Vader book to just to understand what's going on.
    so you prefer multi-titled crossovers to understand what's going on? Or you don't like crossovers of any kind? Also, you are missing out on a great great book in Darth Vader.

Quote Originally Posted by ospfwildcard View Post
    so you prefer multi-titled crossovers to understand what's going on? Or you don't like crossovers of any kind? Also, you are missing out on a great great book in Darth Vader.
    I'd more prefer of it was if was just it's own stand alone title(I guess something like Vader Down #1-whatever) with maybe both the Darth Vader title and the Star Wars titles having one or to tie in issues, rather then just having the full thing split between the 2 books. Only reason I'm not getting Darth Vader now is budget reasons.

Well, Vader and Star Wars were already crossing over with each other anyway--just not this explicitly.

Besides, Dark Horse did a crossover that worked surprisingly well given that each book in the series was set in a different era.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Vector was an awesome crossover! I especially loved how it integrated with both KOTOR's and Legacy's ongoing narratives and had a real impact on those stories.

Literally my only complaint about it is how Dark Horse put the crossover into trade format. Vector was split into two independent trades. I collected three of the four series that Vector tied into and I have no idea where to put Vector. Worse still, Vector's spine looks nothing like the other three series's spines and, even worse still, all of the collected trades from the constituent series acknowledge the Vector gap in their numbering! GAH!

It causes me a lot of nerd angst!

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Don't think of it as a burden, think of it as a chance to pick up more issues of the series you love! It's like a month when the title gets double shipped. You don't complain about that, since you get more story faster (which is always great). The issue or two of Vader you pick up are just more Star Wars fun for you!
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 07-12-2015 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Vector was an awesome crossover! I especially loved how it integrated with both KOTOR's and Legacy's ongoing narratives and had a real impact on those stories.

Literally my only complaint about it is how Dark Horse put the crossover into trade format. Vector was split into two independent trades. I collected three of the four series that Vector tied into and I have no idea where to put Vector. Worse still, Vector's spine looks nothing like the other three series's spines and, even worse still, all of the collected trades from the constituent series acknowledge the Vector gap in their numbering! GAH!
    If it helps, Dark Horse re-released everything in Omnibus format, so you can get all of KOTOR, Dark Times, etc. in separate Omnibi collections. The Vector chapters are right where they should be in those without requiring you to read the other chapters. "Vector" was a well-done crossover, but read separately, it really was more like "Here are four eras where the Muur Talisman showed up."