Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default SDCC: Spotlight on Jonathan Hickman

With Marvel's "Secret Wars" currently unfolding, superstar writer Jonathan Hickman addresses fans in a solo spotlight panel at Comic-Con.

Full article here.

Incredible Member

Hickman is too talented to be constrained by Marvel and DC. Hope he sticks with creator owned stuff

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    Hickman is too talented to be constrained by Marvel and DC. Hope he sticks with creator owned stuff
    Agreed. Hickman and Rucka need to keep pumping out independent books.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

Spectacular Member

Agreed for the most part but I would actually kill to have Hickman be the one to reintroduce the Legion back in to the DCU.

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jonny_anonymous View Post
    Agreed for the most part but I would actually kill to have Hickman be the one to reintroduce the Legion back in to the DCU.
    Omg that would be amazing! Hickman on anything DC would be great! Can you imagine Hickman on JLA or Doom Patrol or The New Gods?!

Amazing Member

Really love what Hickman writes (his Image titles are just great) . Both of his Marvel events were/are solid so he will really be missed in the MU. And I'm really glad he recommended Aaron. The trio of Aaron, Hickman and Remender was so good for Marvel. Oh well, at least I'll have Gerry Duggan.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

isn't it a reflection of talent to tell a great story while still working w/in guidelines or restrictions?

If a chef can make a profound dish being forced to use just 5 ingredients, instead of his entire pantry, it just goes to show what a true culinary master he is.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Would love to hear a story about Hickman's television script for Da Vinci's Demons which aired last year. Fraction did one as well.

Amazing Member

Hickman would do a kickass OMAC...

Spectacular Member

I agree, Hickman should stay with creator owned stuff and stay away from Marvel. What great news.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    isn't it a reflection of talent to tell a great story while still working w/in guidelines or restrictions?

If a chef can make a profound dish being forced to use just 5 ingredients, instead of his entire pantry, it just goes to show what a true culinary master he is.
    He has and is telling great story lines within restrictions. See Secret Warriors, Avengers, and Secret Wars.

But none of those compare to his creator owned stuff. He's at a point where he is going to put out greater work and make more bread doing creator owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post

It is certainly is more impressive. But if I were getting a meal from a five star chef, I'd much rather have them go hog wild and produce something without restrictions. While knowing that they had to use a power drill as their hand tools or they were forced to use certain ingredients and still producing a fantastic dish would make me look at them as more talented, but I'm not really interested in being impressed by the hoops they had to jump through, I'd rather just enjoy the story for what it is.

And while I have enjoyed Hickman's Marvel work (like I have all of their big time indie writers, Aaron, Remender, ect.), I have enjoyed East of West far more.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    It is certainly is more impressive. But if I were getting a meal from a five star chef, I'd much rather have them go hog wild and produce something without restrictions. While knowing that they had to use a power drill as their hand tools or they were forced to use certain ingredients and still producing a fantastic dish would make me look at them as more talented, but I'm not really interested in being impressed by the hoops they had to jump through, I'd rather just enjoy the story for what it is.

And while I have enjoyed Hickman's Marvel work (like I have all of their big time indie writers, Aaron, Remender, ect.), I have enjoyed East of West far more.
    I agree and understand. But to be fair, DC is pretty hands-off right now for a lot of titles. And there's always the Earth One route. Hickman's restrictions at DC would pretty much just be language and characterization of serialized characters. Neither of which seem like huge handcuffs for a great story for him to tell.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Quote Originally Posted by jonny_anonymous View Post

**** yass!!!

Rather have Hickman spend his time on interesting creator owned projects at Image than anymore corporate work for hire.