Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default SDCC: DiDio and Lee Prep "Dark Knight III" To Say "Meet The Co-Publishers"

The leaders of the newly West Coast powerhouse talk about the biggest moves in the DC line heading towards 2016.

Full article here.

Francis Manapul drawing Aquaman Earth One, YES PLEASE. I hope they have a good writer for that. Sorry but Buccellato's work with him has been boring.

Jim Lee drawing Milestone characters is a good call. At this point in Jim's career I think it makes sense for him to help raise the profile of properties that need it. I'll be honest, I had no interest in Milestone before but I probably will check it out now with Lee involved.

I'm sure DK3 will look gorgeous with Kubert drawing it, but it doesn't feel right if it's not Miller's artwork.

No interest in the Convergence fallout series but I think that's a nice way throw a bone to older DC fans.

The Morrison OGNs is a good way to keep him involved. Grant's work is always so different from what they're doing in continuity, this makes more sense, to just literally let him play in his own universe.
    Last edited by El Sombrero; 07-12-2015 at 10:38 AM.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Spectacular Member

Ugh, why Aquaman? That's one of the few characters Manapul draws blandly.

BANNED

Slightly concerned now for the Convergence: TT book, what I got off Newsarama before the transcript disappeared was that the book was going to focus on the origins of the first team.

I am sorry to say this but if it's what I think it is; why the hell is DC focusing on the team that worked best (or only) as an inspiration to the future team that actually made the team worth remembering?

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Slightly concerned now for the Convergence: TT book, what I got off Newsarama before the transcript disappeared was that the book was going to focus on the origins of the first team.

I am sorry to say this but if it's what I think it is; why the hell is DC focusing on the team that worked best (or only) as an inspiration to the future team that actually made the team worth remembering?
    Many people like them and they were part of the NTT Team they inspired, or which Titans team did you mean?
    The relationships among them were also strongly recognized by many fans. They had a tight bond and that did not change even when Cyborg, Starfire and Raven appeared. The friendship between Donna, Roy and Dick is dearly missed by many, which a sale point and we still have fans of Garth who has always been underrepresented.

Spectacular Member

I take my previous comment back, his Aquaman is amazing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Many people like them and they were part of the NTT Team they inspired, or which Titans team did you mean?
    The relationships among them were also strongly recognized by many fans. They had a tight bond and that did not change even when Cyborg, Starfire and Raven appeared. The friendship between Donna, Roy and Dick is dearly missed by many, which a sale point and we still have fans of Garth who has always been underrepresented.
    At which I have to point out that aside from a single book, that team has not been assembled on it's own for over 30 years by now, the people who actually read about their adventures when it 'mattered' are at least 50 years old.
    So let me put it bluntly: What do you mean by missed by many? Because I am pretty sure more people would read an ongoing book with the NTT team than the Fab Five.

Quote Originally Posted by greenish lantern View Post
    Ugh, why Aquaman? That's one of the few characters Manapul draws blandly.
    I think is because Manapul likes the challenges. Visually he wanted to do something different in Flash and something different in Batman. I suppose than draw Aquaman and his world it represents for him a new challenge to create other narrative experiment. Kudos to him.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

At which I have to point out that aside from a single book, that team has not been assembled on it's own for over 30 years by now, the people who actually read about their adventures when it 'mattered' are at least 50 years old.
    So let me put it bluntly: What do you mean by missed by many? Because I am pretty sure more people would read an ongoing book with the NTT team than the Fab Five.
    Like I said one of the points is that the Roy, Dick, Donna Dynamic is currently missing in the DCU which went on even after the Titans disbanded and they together with Garth were always a part of the Titans until "Titans" which ended in 2003, even when the new generation took over they had guest appearances in those comics. Teen Titans: Year One came out 2008 and had them as original group together with Wally.

It's also not only them. It's Lilith, Gnarrk, Guardian, Hawk and Dove too which is an indication that they establish this comic because of the upcoming TNT series featuring a Titans Team.

Furthermore Teen Titans: Earth-One is featuring Starfire, Raven, Changeling, Cyborg, Jericho and Supergirl (Sandmarks) which would also explain why they don't use them to make yet another Titans team with the same people after Garfield and Raven are still part of the continuity Titans.

They also play off of the success the cartoons Teen Titans (Lilith, Gnarrk) and Young Justice (Guardian, generally Costume design) made.

BANNED

Like I said one of the points is that the Roy, Dick, Donna Dynamic is currently missing in the DCU which went on even after the Titans disbanded and they together with Garth were always a part of the Titans until "Titans" which ended in 2003, even when the new generation took over they had guest appearances in those comics.

Teen Titans: Year One came out 2008 and had them as original group together with Wally.
    Garth can hardly have been said to be part of the Titans since he was since 1980 reduced to make sporadic guest appearances and never truly join the team. Same was sort of the case with Roy, who often only showed up to be a kind of antagonist towards Dick.
    What Roy however got was growth outside of (Teen) Titans, while Garth mostly vanished and was almost replaced by Jackson Hyde.

Which was that lone reference to an appearance by the pre-NTT team I was talking about. At all other times they were together, they had NTT or Outsiders around as well.

It's also not only them. It's Lilith, Gnarrk, Guardian, Hawk and Dove too which is an indication that they establish this comic because of the upcoming TNT series featuring a Titans Team.
    Which of the list only features Hawk and Dove... characters the fewest people connect with TT any more and which raised the most eyebrows outside of Barbara Gordon also being in the show.

Furthermore Teen Titans: Earth-One is featuring Starfire, Raven, Changeling, Cyborg, Jericho and Supergirl (Sandmarks) which would also explain why they don't use them to make yet another Titans team with the same people after Garfield and Raven are still part of the continuity Titans.
    Actually it's Terra that's in Earth One... and Cassandra Sandsmark is Wonder Girl.

And not to mention that Dick, Donna, Jericho and Lilith are also active on the current New 52 Earth, so thats kinda a weird argument to make against Garfield and Raven, not to mention Starfire and Cyborg.

They also play off of the success the cartoons Teen Titans (Lilith, Gnarrk) and Young Justice (Guardian, generally Costume design) made.
    Where you place a whole lot of weight on characters that were barely anything more than support characters to the actual stars of the show.

Always Rakzo

Well, this is certainly the biggest news concerning the Earth One line.

Manapul was clearly the creative force behind the first New 52 Flash run and since he's also drawing that series, I'm pretty sure he will able to bring a lot of interesting ideas to the universe. I just hope his writing skills have improved since the last time.

Glad to hear more Earth One books are coming out. Can't wait until we get the Justice League Earth One.
    I love the New 52. I love the dark and grittiness of it and find that is what makes the most enjoyable superhero stories. At the same time I find All Star Superman to be the most depressing Superman story I have ever read. Yeah I'm weird.

I would read a Fab Five book or the 70's revival team.

The friendship of the Fab Five is extremely missed in the New 52. They were all great friends since they were kids and it stood the test of time, I really want it back. I wish Wally was going to be a part of Titan's Hunt.

Garth can hardly have been said to be part of the Titans since he was since 1980 reduced to make sporadic guest appearances and never truly join the team. Same was sort of the case with Roy, who often only showed up to be a kind of antagonist towards Dick.
    What Roy however got was growth outside of (Teen) Titans, while Garth mostly vanished and was almost replaced by Jackson Hyde.

Which was that lone reference to an appearance by the pre-NTT team I was talking about. At all other times they were together, they had NTT or Outsiders around as well.
    Garth was one of the founding members of the Titans, you can't say he "barely" counts as a Titan. Yes Garth became less of member over time but so did a lot of other Titans. Hell the early 2000s team was brought back together mostly because of Garth and is one of my all time favorite Titans team.