Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ron Frenz Interview on Spider-Girl's story in Spider-Island issues

http://theswervemagazine.com/Spider-...ne_Marvel.html

Pretty interesting to see how both him and Tom Deflaco are both more open to writing Mayday this time around.

"I get the impression that characters are more like avatars or video game characters. They go through the motions of the action; they tell the story, and then the emotional fallout is something that is not all that considered. From what I understand, in video games, no one really mourns that prostitute who gets run over in 'Grand Theft Auto.'

"It kind of caught me by surprise because, as the original creators, we did have a few things that we wanted to say about how May would feel about this situation. We also didn't feel that it would be a stretch whether it was three months, two months, eight months or a week that she would still be mourning her father, who she was really close to.

"I've never had a situation like this before where I've had the chance to return to a character that another writer has come in and made major changes to, and make no mistake, this is a major change. It's more than just a costume."
    and on the new costume

"When Tom originally pitched Spider-Girl way back when, his original idea was for her to just wear Pete's costume, and I was the one—because I didn't think it looked all that great—went looking for an alternative and landed on Ben Reilly's costume. So anything else I say may be a bit self-congratulatory. I didn't want to use it to begin with, so no, I wouldn't have returned to it.

"Sal Buscema one time said that when he saw the Ben Reilly costume the first time, he thought it looked more feminine than masculine, so it didn't surprise him at all that it worked on the female figure. So that was kind of cool to find out when he joined us shortly after my run on the book began."

BANNED

I suppose it's easier to come 'round to what the current creative teams have done with the character when you've already said your piece and put a story out there which plants that tiniest seed of doubt in one's mind regarding this particular Mayday

Not that I mind, it helps hold your hand and even helps you appreciate the story they're telling with this one.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

I personally like the Ben Reily outfit better on her.

Guess because she looks like Peter with boobs and a better defined tushie... I mean she's his daughter but yeah... That and Ben's outfit looks cooler on her while Peter's outfit looks old and tacky.

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

It's too bad Mayday's back up story will only last about 30 pages by the time the Spider-Island miniseries ends. I'll be buying the first issue this week, mostly for Mayday and I like the regular cover by Ramos, but then I'll wait for the trade.

I haven't read the original Mayday comic, or Spider-Island for that matter, but is her comic still available to buy in collected volumes or are they all out of print?

I found it interesting that the article mentions fans' thinking Mayday should be over her father's death after 8 months. Death, whether real or fiction, of someone very close to you isn't something you just get over in less than a year, or even more than a year. I'm glad Mayday's story will involve the after-effects of her father's death, and Spider-Uncle Ben will be featured as well.

I liked her original costume more though.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

It'll be worse is if this is the last we see of her.

I want her to at least team up with the Web Warriors sometimes.

Than again, the Inheritors still live... Maybe Spiderverse 2.0 down the line?

Well, Ron Frenz pretty illustrates pretty much every issue there is with how Slott handled Mayday and her character rather succinctly.

Also he recognises the storytelling potential in Spider-Ben. Of course there's also a rich wellspring of storytelling opportunities from Peter & Ben interacting on a regular basis that were preemptively closed off in Slott's infinite wisdom.

BANNED

I truly hope that they give Kaine a great role in this since Slott skipped him and Darkdevil in Spider-verse.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    I haven't read the original Mayday comic, or Spider-Island for that matter, but is her comic still available to buy in collected volumes or are they all out of print?
    Not sure if they're still in print, but you can find them.

You can also read the series (there are two) on Marvel Unlimited. There was also a mini-series that happened after the end of Amazing Spider-Girl. Not sure if that's available on Marvel Unlimited or not.

firstly, cmbmool ought to be giddy after reading that.

secondly, good to see the professionalism shining through here: whenever you have to share the creative sandpit with others you need to work with their ideas as well as your own. you’re never going to love them all (change to spider-woman) but if you’re open enough, you’ll find ones you can love and you can take to the next level (spider uncle ben). good on him.

Certainly interesting reading Frenz's reaction to what happened to Mayday in Spider-Verse, especially in light of his previous opinion of it, how he feels about current comics, and what he Defalco are setting out to do with the backup.

I wish MC2 was getting more than just back-up stories amounting to 30 pages collectively, but at least they're getting something .

And add me, again, to the choir that prefer her old costume to her current one and believes she looked much, much better in it .

I am a little cheesed I have to pay a extra $1.00 for the Spider-Girl Crap........never was a fan

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by shadow panther View Post
    I am a little cheesed I have to pay a extra $1.00 for the Spider-Girl Crap........never was a fan
    Fair enough, but what makes Spider-Girl so unappealing for you?
    Last edited by Mr.Lion; 07-08-2015 at 05:11 AM.

Mayday Parker was not like Peter Parker. Mayday was a sensitive, and I think she had an as yet undefined power to convert evil to good. A little like her father, she believed she could talk people down, and though Peter webbed people up, Mayday did a Bucky Barnes and let herself be captured, but worked on the inside, and wore them down inside. Yes, Mayday was a little driven like her father. I think she inherited a bit of that, but where Spiderman was tortured his whole life with responsibility and guilt, Mayday was driven to "feel" her MC2 cast members like an empath. That will be one Spider Woman we have never seen before.

Personally, I liked Pat Olliffe on Spider-Girl more so than Mr. Frenz. (Not that Frenz is bad in my eyes.)

Definitely think May looks better in her Uncle Ben's costume!

-Pav, who hopes this story somewhat satisfies those who have been gnashing their teeth...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

As much as I like Slott, still not a fan of what he did to MC2 Peter. :c

And yeah, the original costume certainly looks better!