Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Should Blade be rebooted in the comics?

So, the Blade film was vastly different from the comics. 616 Blade's history and overall personality was quite different than the film. To put it frankly, 616 Blade is an unlikable jerk, he's boastful, and cocky, character traits that his film counterpart lacked. Overall the film version was better. Now normally I hate the idea of the comics being changed to match the film, but this is the only case I can think of where the film was vastly different but actually better than the comics. So, should Marvel just reboot comics Blade?

He actually has to be. His published history is a contradictory mess. There's no way the character can be used seriously with his timeline (such as it is) still in place.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Niffleheim

I think at the moment it is not a matter of should he change but he will HAVE to change considering his new status as a dad.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

I'd keep his personality and his comic origins in tact. No reason to change those. A reboot isn't necessary. I'd bet the majority of comic readers don't know about the mess that is Blade's continuity anyways. Ewing did a Blade worth reading, even if he was in a stupid spider costume for most of the series.

Blade 1 and 2 were great, but comic Blade is better. Always. You change his character to match the movies and it won't stop with just him. It just continues the stupid trend.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Mighty Member

the blade movies opened up so many stories, but his movie version fell so flat in the comics because the character is pretty dry. i mean the movie character had no meaningful development through 3 films and a tv show.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    the blade movies opened up so many stories, but his movie version fell so flat in the comics because the character is pretty dry. i mean the movie character had no meaningful development through 3 films and a tv show.
    The TV show screwed up by not making Blade the main character of his own show.

They should have morphed comic blade into movie blade as soon as the box office numbers came in.

Why they haven't fused the two STILL is weird.

I would whole heartedly support retconning comic blades past to match the movies. I only keep reading blade when he shows up because of movie blade. Only real interpretation i liked was when he showed up in MA though
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    Honestly the movie version wasn't so sucessful because the character was so great. It was sucessful because it was Wesley Snipes. With a lesser actor playing him (like we saw in the TV series) he would have come off a bit one dimensional.

There are some elements the comics did borrow from the movie, like the Day Walker stuff, and that's cool. The movie did a lot of things right. But as far as the characterization goes, there wasn't a whole lot there so the comics need to contineu to do it's own thing in that regard.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    They should have morphed comic blade into movie blade as soon as the box office numbers came in.

Why they haven't fused the two STILL is weird.

I would whole heartedly support retconning comic blades past to match the movies. I only keep reading blade when he shows up because of movie blade. Only real interpretation i liked was when he showed up in MA though
    marvel definitely tried with his 3rd and 4th series, they were so bad though

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

Well, I suppose if ever there were a time to do it, it'd be now.

I wouldn't want them retconning him out of being British, though. Still hacked off that they did that to Spider-woman.
    Last edited by The Sword is Drawn; 07-14-2015 at 01:05 AM.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A Blog dedicated to the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

Blade really needs to be retconned his history/continuity is just a mess and full of contradictory. The writers never take note that he has a white father and yet he still looks black. I want that retconned out of Blade's history.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The only good thing that came out of white dad retcon were the jokes Blade made about it. I would like to see it gone too.

Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    I'd keep his personality and his comic origins in tact. No reason to change those. A reboot isn't necessary. I'd bet the majority of comic readers don't know about the mess that is Blade's continuity anyways. Ewing did a Blade worth reading, even if he was in a stupid spider costume for most of the series.

Blade 1 and 2 were great, but comic Blade is better. Always. You change his character to match the movies and it won't stop with just him. It just continues the stupid trend.
    Amen to the. Feels like the original poster only has limited knowledge of comic Blade and his roots. Rebooting to make him more movie like is lazy and ignorant of the awesomeness that is Blade (I'm biased he is my favorite character)
    Feels like this whole thread is unfair to the dhampr

Quote Originally Posted by KidStranglehold View Post
    Blade really needs to be retconned his history/continuity is just a mess and full of contradictory. The writers never take note that he has a white father and yet he still looks black. I want that retconned out of Blade's history.
    Retconning the retcons just adds more retcons.

Unless a retcon is really needed to tell a specific story, I think it's usually better to just leave things be and move foreward.

Quote Originally Posted by KidStranglehold View Post
    The writers never take note that he has a white father and yet he still looks black.

How does a mixed black person not look black, Kid?