Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    Same here, that old Talia was last seen in Batman Chronicles, from Bane of the Demon and onwards the character clearly underwent a shift which culminated with Morrison. Rucka by then had already taken it to the extreme.
    I don't mind murderous Talia I love her villainous but Inc was off. Talia seemed lmore crazy less badass badmama jamma

Fantastic Member

Thought I would post in this thread considering, I really liked the way Talia was written in the Silencer Annual. I have long been an anti-fan of Grant Morrison's work. The only good thing I felt he did for the Al Ghul's was Damian. I didn't like how he wrote Talia BUT I agreed with one of his descriptions of Talia. Talia is "in love and in hate" with Batman. I do think this is the natural evolution of her dynamic with Bruce.

The character has been written as blood thirsty far to often, I much prefer her as a sinister schemer. So her reclining in lounge wear, sipping champagne, while Honor and Batman fought for their lives, struck the right tone with me.

I also hope other writers will do something with her expander relationship to Deathstroke. I'd be interested in seeing that dynamic explored. I also hope someone will pick up on her dynamic with Lex Luthor. Talia running Lexcorp is one of my favorite time-periods for the character.

Mighty Member

Which version of Talia al Ghul do all of you are fond of the most? Which one do you HATE the most?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbite883 View Post
    Which version of Talia al Ghul do all of you are fond of the most? Which one do you HATE the most?
    I like crazy mama Talia [Gleason's] best. i'm irritated by the Talia who pines for Bruce and is a tool for ra's. What a drip.

I don't hate any version of Talia.

Fantastic Member

I think what really made me a fan of Talia was seeing her interact with everyone who wasn't Bruce. The characters hubris, superiority complex, cold regard, intellect and dry wit, seemed more pronounced when she wasn't hampered by her love/lust for Bruce. When we saw her break into the JLA Watchtower and her subsequent fight with the JLA, I'll never forget how Talia was watching all of them suffer and then just calmly said "It is not the Justice Leagues, finest hour." lol

Her dealings with Lex Luthor, when he became president were inspired. I loved her as the CEO of Lexcopr, it brought her into conflict with Superman, Superboy, The Justice League, Steele. Her secretly scheming to sabotage Lexcorp was so her. I didn't like Death and the Maiidens but I do think villainy was always Talia's destiny. Her interaction with the rest of the DCU has been a joy to read, if she considers you a threat or a hinderance to something she wants, she is a villain through and through, if she doesn't see you as a threat, it tends to bring out another side of her. Like her interactions with Black Lightening.

She's in a world of meta-humans and aliens but she still behaves as if she is Queen of the World. We have seen her dictate orders to Felix Faust, Cheetah and Earthquake. She rarely if ever shows fear.

I also love the dynamic being built between Deathrstroke and Talia. He will hardly grieve when bad things happen to her and he does view her as a poison, but it also comes across like he actually likes her or indulges her. It's a fine line but it is there. And I'm interested in seeing where else it goes. They do have good chemistry and I wouldn't mind seeing them as a villainous couple moving forward. Though Slade is all mercenary and Talia has an appetite for world domination. The characters also provide AMPLE potential backstory. Was Slade back up protection for Talia when she was scheming as one of the head of The Society? (Alexander Luthor, Talia, Deatstroke, Calculator, Black Adam and Doctor Psycho).

I also really like the antagonism between Talia and Nightwing. Their interactions in Nightwings "Freefall" arc were awesome. Dick telling his receptionist to have Talia make an appointment and Talia barging in saying "I don't MAKE appointments, I come and go as I please." Was a very good demonstration of who Talia is.

The mistake I feel some writers make are when they have Talia come off as rabid. She is shrewd, callous, cold, self-aggrandizing and ruthless. She schemes on a level few others do and that's what's allowed her to navigate the DCU with as much efficiancy as she has. I hope the writers make a point of focusing on that aspect of the character. She is indifferent to suffering of most people so they in no way have to woobify her, I just want them to refine some aspects.

BANNED

I pretty much discriminate Talia on Batman INC but i liked her during pre new 52 ...

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XXIII (January 1987)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbite883 View Post
    Talia was the first woman I fell in love with from TAS. She was cool, strong willed, could take care of herself, smart, and gorgeous.

I didn't like Death & the Maidens. It just seemed to be a tool to make Nyssa seem like a badass character and made Talia feel weak. I think she would've fought back more against Nyssa.

I like her best when she's cunning and manipulative.