Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Whedon Gives Definitive Comment About "Avengers: Age Of Ultron" Director's Cut

Joss Whedon reveals where he stands on director's cuts and says you'll see cut "AoU" scenes in the extras.

Full article here.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Well, yeah he directed one cut already and didn't seem to care for the experience. I doubt he wants to work with them again on the same movie.

If any movie needs an "extended version/director's cut" .. it is this one. Avengers:AOU simply doesn't work as it is .. as Whedon indicates here .. so many of the transitions simply do not work. It's like a book with many chapters missing. It's disappointing to hear that we are stuck with the theater version.

Fantastic Member

"Fans noticed that plenty of shots featured in the trailer weren't included in the film, like Black Widow's massive cannons." lol...is that what they are calling them now??? She does have a nice set of them.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Age of Ultron is almost in the same category of "desperately needs a longer cut" as Kingdom of Heaven was.

Age of Ultron was a good film but it was clunky and choppy at times. It needed more time to allow the certain scenes to breathe.

BANNED

Like others in this thread, I thought this movie really needed a director's cut. You could feel the producer's fingerprints all over the theatrical version. Disappointing to see that we won't be getting a better cut any time soon.

Spectacular Member

That's too bad. "Ultron" is my least favorite Marvel movie among those I've seen ( yeah, I even like Iron Man 2 and 3 better, feel free to disagree ), and I was waiting to see if an extended cut could redeem it.

All-New Member

No director's cut could fix Whedon's awful misuse of Black Widow. Better to just put this installment behind us.

But the narrative came together very close to the way that I hoped it would, and I don’t think it needs me to constantly tweak it. I feel you put something out, and there it is.
    Ultron may have some transitions that I’m not 100% on board with. It’s also one of the most ridiculously personal things I’ve ever put on screen. The fact that Marvel gave me that opportunity and supported it, I’m very happy and very proud of everybody that worked on it. I don’t feel the need to go in and fix. I feel like, there she is.
    To me, those quotes suggest that there isn't really a director's cut to be had that would be substantially different. I am interested to see Joss' original take on the Thor pool scene, though.

Incredible Member

I'm very, very disappointed. I was looking forward to the extended cut.

The inclusion or excision of footage can make or break a movie. The theatrical cut of James Cameron's The Abyss is a horrible movie, but the Director's Cut is brilliant. Heaven's Gate is an even bigger example, originally being four hours long and cut down to two, resulting in a cinematic abomination. When it was restored to its full length, the movie was amazing. I suspect the same would be true about Age of Ultron. Whedon is used to working in a long form format on TV, so it's not exactly surprising.

I wanted a directors cut of this SO BADLY. Guess, I ain't buying the theatrical one then. I thought the movie was a frustratingly disappointingly good movie. I felt like Marvel was using this as filler till Phase 3. I have a feeling Ant-man will be a thousand times better. Age of Ultron is embarrassing. I don't blame Joss.

But the narrative came together very close to the way that I hoped it would, and I don’t think it needs me to constantly tweak it. I feel you put something out, and there it is.
    Oh good, now can we stop blaming everything we don't like about the movie on Marvel and just admit Joss screwed up? He even got to keep the farm house scene- the one scene we know he had clashed Execs with and won.

There might be a few scenes that pull the whole thing together but it's not going to magically make up for all the months of misplaced hype we had for this movie.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Amazing Member

I honestly don't think there is anything that they could add in the Blu-ray version that would make me want to buy it. Whedon hasn't given me any reason to revere him for these movies like everyone else seems to do.

oh please bring back the death you moron, couldn't move on after what happen in ending of AoU ! :'(
    - All-New X-Factor - Iron Fist : The Living Weapon - Superior Iron Man - Uncanny Avengers - Captain Marvel & Ms Marvel -

• Quicksilver
    • Iron Fist
    • Iron Man
    • Captain Marvel

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Seriously? Who isn't asked ng for a directors cut. I thought the movie was great, and even I think it's incomplete. This is ridiculous.
    Cyclops was right