Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Except Remender is just a writer. He has no more say over the character than you or I. The editors and higher ups at Marvel liked his ideas and his concepts. They green lit his story. If at any point they didn't enjoy and approve of what was going on, they could have taken the comic away from Remender and/or forced him to change his story.
    Oh, the editors are also to blame but he wrote the story and the details in the first place. He should have done his homework.

I don't even care about Steve Rogers or this particular detail but I'm firmly against this logic that would allow writers to tell the stories they want without having to worry about continuity.

Now that I think of it, it's the same disregard for facts that made Havok appear like a huge hypocrite towards Cyclops in Remender's first issue of Uncanny Avengers. Facts that only happened a couple of months before. As I said elsewhere, it would have been ok if it was intentional and someone had called Havok on it. But no, it was just lazy writing.
    Last edited by Lutecius; 07-14-2015 at 04:17 AM.

For me it's simple. I just ignore all this crap like i ignored every other time Captain America wasn't Steve Rogers. How many times has it been now? And how many times was any of it worthwhile? I would say the Bucky period was the only one. That's why come October i'm not touching ANAD Avengers, Captain America and Uncanny Avengers. That pretty much covers it.
    Pull list:
    "Your signature cannot be longer than 500 characters excluding BB code markup."

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lutecius View Post
    Oh, the editors are also to blame but he wrote the story and the details in the first place. He should have done his homework.

I don't even care about Steve Rogers or this particular detail but I'm firmly against this logic that would allow writers to tell the stories they want without having to worry about continuity.

Now that I think of it, it's the same disregard for facts that made Havok appear like a huge hypocrite towards Cyclops in Remender's first issue of Uncanny Avengers. Facts that only happened a couple of months before. As I said elsewhere, it would have been ok if it was intentional and someone had called Havok on it. But no, it was just lazy writing.
    Again, it is not the Remender's fault. It is squarely with the editors. If they cared about the continuity of this problem, they would have forced Remender to alter or abandon his story. Writers are crafters of ideas, it is the editor's job to mold that idea so it fits into the universe.

Again, it is not the Remender's fault. It is squarely with the editors. If they cared about the continuity of this problem, they would have forced Remender to alter or abandon his story. Writers are crafters of ideas, it is the editor's job to mold that idea so it fits into the universe.
    And again, they should have. But if the Remender had done his homework (because Marvel authors don't write in a vacuum, they're supposed to build on past stories), they wouldn't have had to. We can do this all day
    All I know is this kind of inconsistencies seem to happen with some writers more often than with others.
    Last edited by Lutecius; 07-14-2015 at 01:51 PM.

Except Remender is just a writer. He has no more say over the character than you or I. The editors and higher ups at Marvel liked his ideas and his concepts. They green lit his story. If at any point they didn't enjoy and approve of what was going on, they could have taken the comic away from Remender and/or forced him to change his story.
    Another problem that seems to keep popping up in Marvel lately, rather than actually thinking about what the fan and telling great stories with the characters they love, they basically think of what they like and proceed to tell fans that that's what they want even in the face of fandom outcry. I remember back during the Clone Saga, fan outcry led to the revising the story. That seems like worlds apart from what they are now.

It wasn't Remender who introduced the idea that Steve's lonevity was due to the SSS. That was Brubaker.

In fact, Bru also introduced that Natasha and Fury were the recipients of variations on the serum, explaining thier unnaturally long lives as well. Fury's recent aging was due to his having used the last of his stash to save Bucky after 'Fear Itself'.

I know people have a hate on for Remender...but at least get your rants straight.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    It wasn't Remender who introduced the idea that Steve's lonevity was due to the SSS. That was Brubaker.

In fact, Bru also introduced that Natasha and Fury were the recipients of variations on the serum, explaining thier unnaturally long lives as well. Fury's recent aging was due to his having used the last of his stash to save Bucky after 'Fear Itself'.

I know people have a hate on for Remender...but at least get your rants straight.
    I've made no secret of my own dislike for Remender's writing, and even I have no actual problem with him making Steve old. All discussions of the quality of the story aside, the removal of the Serum making Steve old didn't bother me. Sure, other stories didn't have that happen. But those are other stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I've made no secret of my own dislike for Remender's writing, and even I have no actual problem with him making Steve old. All discussions of the quality of the story aside, the removal of the Serum making Steve old didn't bother me. Sure, other stories didn't have that happen. But those are other stories.
    Which is perfectly fine. People love Bendis, and his stuff sells like gangbusters, but I can't stand his style.

No one had a problem with Brubaker's retcon on the effects of the SSS serum though. I don't understand why it's suddenly an issue now that Remender took that information and ran with it in a new direction. It just seems incredibly petty to me. /shrug.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    it makes no sense for him to be aged.

Marvel comics wanting Steve Rogers no longer wielding a shield?
    Oke, but write a story that makes reasonably sense.
    Any current or future series with the title ' Captain America' is, to me, better of canceled.
    Writing a story that makes reasonable sense would involve never having Steve frozen in ice and then revived decades later. Saying that the super solider serum is so miraculous that it can preserve a human being in suspended animation for decades makes no "reasonable sense." It's complete fantasy and entirely silly. The whole premise of Cap in the modern day is founded on absurdity. That's not to say it's not worth doing but you have to acknowledge that this is comics and "reasonable sense" doesn't typically apply.

Complaining about Steve being old as though it were some unprecedented breach of logic is nothing more than ridiculous whining about a non-issue.

BANNED

Stan The Man Lee and Jack King Kirby should have been stopped with extreme prejudice in 1964 for bringing Cap back. The past 51 years are a waste of silliness and absurdity. Whining, ridiculous.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post

Yeah, but wasn't that all the Infinity Formula? It's entire thing is to prevent aging.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    Yeah, but wasn't that all the Infinity Formula? It's entire thing is to prevent aging.
    True. The Super Soldier Formula is not. It´s entire thing is to enhance baseline humans beyond the peak of human potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    But those are other stories.
    But this is the same guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Writing a story that makes reasonable sense would involve never having Steve frozen in ice and then revived decades later. Saying that the super solider serum is so miraculous that it can preserve a human being in suspended animation for decades makes no "reasonable sense." It's complete fantasy and entirely silly. The whole premise of Cap in the modern day is founded on absurdity. That's not to say it's not worth doing but you have to acknowledge that this is comics and "reasonable sense" doesn't typically apply.

Complaining about Steve being old as though it were some unprecedented breach of logic is nothing more than ridiculous whining about a non-issue.
    No. Once the fantasy or science fictional elements are introduced, being reasonable does not consist of taking them away so things are just like the real world (although whether the concept of cryonic suspended animation, especially with an agent that could have prevented ice crystal formation, is complete fantasy is also a matter of debate). It consists in being relatively consistent in how you treat those fantastic elements in your story or stories.

E.g., once Rowling shows that there is basically no such thing as wandless, controlled magic in the Harry Potter books (though advanced users often learn silent casting), it is reasonable to expect that future stories will not feature a bunch of wizards randomly casting without their wands. It is also reasonable to expect that magic will remain possible according to the established rules. In the same way, one would expect the super-soldier serum and its extraction to work the same way with respect to Steve's biological age from story to story, assuming this is actually the same character and the same serum.

Honestly I don't really get why they even keep him old at this point. While initially it took him out of the roll of Captain America and field leader due to his aged body, that seems to have changed since Time Runs Out. For example, compare him in Axis where he can barely fight in the Captain America armor and chooses to trick Sam with a mental illusion to the Time Runs Out where not only does he best 2 Shang-Chis but goes toe to toe with Tony in his Superior armor. They need to really explain this because he went from needing a cane to ending up right back on the front lines. It just seems pointless to keep him old yet have him doing the things he did in his young body. Besides as Heroic Age showed us, him being able bodied with someone else in the Captain America role doesn't see him automatically become Captain America again.