Page 112 of 249 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122162212 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 3725
    BANNED

and that's a reasonable concern as a she-hulk fan but again you gotta remember happy cheerful she-hulk had her time in the sun and it just didn't keep her on the map for marvel

it doesn't help that being painted as nothing more than a goofy sex object probably wouldn't fly so well in this current age

BANNED

I'm liking the more muscular, gray look for Jen anyway. It took a while to get used to it but then I look at it more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    and that's a reasonable concern as a she-hulk fan but again you gotta remember happy cheerful she-hulk had her time in the sun and it just didn't keep her on the map for marvel

it doesn't help that being painted as nothing more than a goofy sex object probably wouldn't fly so well in this current age
    Yeah this shift definitely correlates to the recent trend of Marvel greatly reducing the sex appeal of its female characters (I can only note the hypocrisy of the male characters keeping theirs). She-Hulk was one of the last ones left. Medusa will follow not long from now as they're going to shave her head. It's a bit sad really.

The other thing is that this definitely is not by accident. Marvel and Disney have synergy going. They know Mark Ruffalo will age out quite soon and they need a Banner replacement in the MCU. Amadeus Cho might be a test, and this could be another test to see who'd best replace Bruce in the MCU by seeing who gets a better audience in the comics. Amadeus Cho is hovering around 25,000, which is above cancellation but not an ideal total. If Jen does better and stays there, that'll be another point in her favor as Disney continues to mine the Marvel quarry for marketable characters.

shave Medusa's hair? What? She'd be powerless!

and like people said before, the problem with Soule's run was the crap-ass Pulido art and then the even worse 2 fill-ins by Wimberley. The writing and her being happy weren't the problems.
    I surrender to the Contest

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wessex View Post
    It's a cover image, which may be metaphorical more than actual.

On Netflix, I'll see how that pans out.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    some she hulk fans cannot handle the sad truth that bubbly happy she-hulk doesn't sell that great these days and if they kept that approach she'd be lucky to reach 10 issues

marvel already has a dozen comedic books so another one would be overkill at this point
    I would love to see a writer take a chance and put Jennifer Walters human form into Peter Parker's world as a supporting cast member and close friend. Those two would hit it off very well...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    Well that's the thing, isn't it? Charles Soule's quirky, comedic She-Hulk (which also had her in She-Hulk state for all but maybe two pages) bombed hard. Amadeus Cho is now the "happy" hulk, stealing both Jen's and Bruce's thunder at once. She-Hulk has been rumored for the MCU in some capacity for years, and likely why there's been no movement on it is that silly Jen is off-putting to the executives with the purse strings.

So they're trying the exact opposite, pandering to the Joe Schmo impression that She-Hulk is not that dissimilar from the Hulk, with a Netflix-friendly dark tone and written by a writer with a penchant for dark tragedy, and the human state of Jennifer Walters is now the emphasis. And I think it will wind up selling better than the Charles Soule run did, though whether it will survive beyond 12 issues is something I don't know. If it does sell, though, this is probably the end of the line for comedic Jen for several years if not permanently. They won't revert her back to her silly self if her edgy self is making bank.

This incarnation is a mixed bag for me. I've long thought what has prevented Jen from breaking out is her refusal to take on her human form, which makes her more difficult to relate to. Mariko fixed that, but the rest of this interpretation is pretty different from how I'd personally portray her. I guess we'll find out whether Mariko's take will be the key to turn Jen into an A-lister at last.

And if that Netflix show does show up, culling primarily from Mariko's take, well, that would answer all of the questions as to why they did this, wouldn't it?
    I always felt that Jennifer's human side was the core to her character. Just like Peter Parker's normal side is the core to his character. I once ask Soule if Peter Parker would be making a guest appearance in his She-Hulk run. Instead he blocked me from his Twitter page. Thus I never followed any of his work again. I would love to see a few of the non Spider-Man created characters a part of Peter's circle of close friends who can relate to him like Jennifer Walters human side to which a lot of writers have ignored in the past.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Darthfury78's been away for such a long time, I was actually thinking yesterday when CBR's tireless Jen-Peter shipper would react to the news. And yes, as expected he did chime in with his Jen-Peter promotion. That's up to Tamaki to use.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Darthfury78's been away for such a long time, I was actually thinking yesterday when CBR's tireless Jen-Peter shipper would react to the news. And yes, as expected he did chime in with his Jen-Peter promotion. That's up to Tamaki to use.
    His dedication is truly tireless.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

The problem with Soule's run was the crap-ass Pulido art and then the even worse 2 fill-ins by Wimberley. The writing and her being happy weren't the problems.
    Quoted in agreement. The art was the problem for me with Soule's run, not the being happy thing. Still, wait and see regarding the new title and whether it's any good I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    His dedication is truly tireless.
    And consistent at least.

Haha, I remember there was a comic where Spidey wanted to join Jen at some sort Galla to get some food and ended up with having to fight some Egyptian Cat Godess Nefertiti. That was pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by elementalist View Post
    Haha, I remember there was a comic where Spidey wanted to join Jen at some sort Galla to get some food and ended up with having to fight some Egyptian Cat Godess Nefertiti. That was pretty funny.
    Nefertiti was just jealous as she was in love with Peter

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I always felt that Jennifer's human side was the core to her character. Just like Peter Parker's normal side is the core to his character. I once ask Soule if Peter Parker would be making a guest appearance in his She-Hulk run. Instead he blocked me from his Twitter page. Thus I never followed any of his work again. I would love to see a few of the non Spider-Man created characters a part of Peter's circle of close friends who can relate to him like Jennifer Walters human side to which a lot of writers have ignored in the past.
    jeez i heard about writers not liking to answer questions on social media but blocking someone for something as simple as that? 0_o

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

and like people said before, the problem with Soule's run was the crap-ass Pulido art and then the even worse 2 fill-ins by Wimberley. The writing and her being happy weren't the problems.
    Yep.

When I heard Soule was going to be writing a She-Hulk book, I was excited. I'd loved a lot of his DC work, and I loved Jen. How could I not be excited? Oh, right! The second I laid eyes on that godawful art!

Don't get me wrong, I tend to hold "story" much more important than "art" in a comic book. I can forgive bad art if the story is compelling. But that Pulido art was just NAUSEATING to look at. I refused to buy the book because I wanted to send Marvel the message of "Nope! Sorry, Marvel! This art is just unacceptable." Looking back on it, maybe I should've supported it, if that would've helped prevent THIS crap from happening.

Now, as macattack (correctly, in my mind) surmises, we're getting a Jen who has nothing but her angst to drive the story. The art is better than Pulido's, certainly, but Jen herself couldn't be less appealing to look at. She's not fun anymore, she's not sexy, she's just......really pissed off. Sorry, that's the LEAST appealing part of She-Hulk to me. I have literally NO reason to give a crap about this book. Call me when (and if) Jen gets to be Jen again.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--