Page 123 of 249 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126127133173223 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 3725

Honestly, both Sam and Jane's number is probably going to be up within a year. Sam's storyline will crash into the next summer event if it's Captain America related (probably has to do with HydraSteve). Meanwhile Jane's cancer has to be dealt with at some point! Either she dies, or takes time off to get herself cured, either way she's done soon. Of course both are Avengers, so that book would get another shuffle too. It'd likely also lose Spider-Man (who funds the team), because of Parker Industries going up the swanny (a status quo change that's already been solicited), so don't expect the current Avengers volume to last any longer than ANAD Avengers did.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Fair enough.

I still don't want to see Jen turning into an angry rage-aholic in service to an absolutely god-awful event that should've never been allowed to see the light of day. I especially fear that, if this new direction becomes popular enough, it may very well become Jen's new permanent status quo and the fun-loving Jen I liked may very well vanish forever, consumed by the modern comics fanbase's obsession with dark, brooding characters.
    That is my fear and even if last long damage will be done with fans. Fans that don't see how more then gender swap or derivative of hulk won't exactly help that. I am tired to marvel and dc trying to make everything more darker in recent years. What lead to things like new 52 failing and one numerous reasons marvel living off of only events and relaunches.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Supermutant2099 View Post
    Fans that don't see how more then gender swap or derivative of hulk won't exactly help that.
    Wait. Are you therefore insinuating that such fans are somehow to blame for this change in Jennifer's direction? That such fans are somehow blind?
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Wait. Are you therefore insinuating that such fans are somehow to blame for this change in Jennifer's direction? That such fans are somehow blind?
    No I'm saying this book makes her rage alcoholic and more darker more like Bruce's hulk won't help her standing with fans who are not very familiar with her or might just casually know her. Won't see that She-Hulk way better character then that.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    She was evicted in Patsy Walker's book, because she can't pay the rent if she's not earning money. Patsy took over the office for her temp agency, with Jubilee contributing by renting the smaller space Patsy used to use. So the Walters law firm no longer exists.You need to read Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat!, up to the Civil War II tie-in issue.
    Damn it. I'd been reading that book as well until I had to make cuts in my comics. Thanks for the response Digifiend, I'll have to get the trade.

No I'm saying this book makes her rage alcoholic and more darker more like Bruce's hulk won't help her standing with fans who are not very familiar with her or might just casually know her. Won't see that She-Hulk way better character then that.
    We'll see how sales shake up. If this turns out to be the bestselling She-Hulk title ever this incarnation won't go away for a long time. Heck it will show to Marvel that all Jen needed to break out was to be grounded and more relatable and all future adaptations will follow the Tamaki model.

If the title bombs then in a year or less Jen will be over her trauma and it'll be business as usual for the character, although she might not get another solo for a while.

Either option is less than ideal from different angles if you are a fan of the standard Jennifer. I do want to see the character finally get her due but I dunno if the Tamaki model is the one I'd want to see break out. But if the Tamaki interpretation is the one that sells then clearly it is what people want. And after reading issue one I'm strangely okay with that because Tamaki writes a wonderful human Jennifer.

Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    We'll see how sales shake up. If this turns out to be the bestselling She-Hulk title ever this incarnation won't go away for a long time. Heck it will show to Marvel that all Jen needed to break out was to be grounded and more relatable and all future adaptations will follow the Tamaki model.

If the title bombs then in a year or less Jen will be over her trauma and it'll be business as usual for the character, although she might not get another solo for a while.

Either option is less than ideal from different angles if you are a fan of the standard Jennifer. I do want to see the character finally get her due but I dunno if the Tamaki model is the one I'd want to see break out. But if the Tamaki interpretation is the one that sells then clearly it is what people want. And after reading issue one I'm strangely okay with that because Tamaki writes a wonderful human Jennifer.
    I don't think making a character more darker or even trauma drama is more relatable. Also as I said rather not see throw away a lot what makes her a great character to get her due. I want to see she-hulk but I hate to see it at the expanse why I love her more then Bruce's hulk.
    I did say here elsewhere the human parts where good up till the end. Just felt weird first issue of a she-hulk or hulk or hero book. If you didn't know better up till that transformation it felt like book about a normal lawyer in marvel universe.

Quote Originally Posted by RD! View Post
    It was a very quick read (more like a FCBD preview than a full priced issue), very little happened and the fact that she's returning to work at a big firm when last I was aware, she had her own office, was jarring. I was a little let down, HOWEVER, I like what it's setting up and I think it is going to be very good -- just taking a while to get going. I hope people stick with it long enough so they can see how awesome it's going to be.

In case nobody has seen this yet, here is the cover to issue 5
    Attachment 43105
    Looks good to me, scary, hulk-like but still beautiful.
    Accompanying interview as well...
    http://ew.com/books/2016/12/28/marve...nifer-walters/
    Now that is a Hulk cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    She was evicted in Patsy Walker's book, because she can't pay the rent if she's not earning money. Patsy took over the office for her temp agency, with Jubilee contributing by renting the smaller space Patsy used to use. So the Walters law firm no longer exists.You need to read Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat!, up to the Civil War II tie-in issue.
    If I remember correctly, Angie was still helping with Jen's open cases, we still don't know what happened to her since Jen woke up from her coma.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    No doubt there is a segment of readers obsessed with dark, brooding characters.

There are also readers who will support Jen no matter what.

There are those who want only fun Jen.

And there are fans who have deeper reasons for wanting to read this new Jen.
    That one is me.

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    Jen will go back to her roots and original character. Almost nothing stays permanent unless it's better and more popular than the norm or forced. Steve Rogers will not stay a Hydra agent. Thor will eventually take his hammer back. Tony Stark will take over for Dr. Doom. Bruce Banner will come back and no matter how smart he is, he will become dumb Hulk at some point. Spiderman will eventually stop being a light-hearted Bruce Wayne. Sam Wilson will be Falcon again.
    I would say that this new direction is going back to her roots in her Savage days.

I don't think making a character more darker or even trauma drama is more relatable. Also as I said rather not see throw away a lot what makes her a great character to get her due. I want to see she-hulk but I hate to see it at the expanse why I love her more then Bruce's hulk.
    I did say here elsewhere the human parts where good up till the end. Just felt weird first issue of a she-hulk or hulk or hero book. If you didn't know better up till that transformation it felt like book about a normal lawyer in marvel universe.
    You misunderstand my point. I was not saying darkening or trauma drama is necessary to make the character more relatable.

The way Tamaki makes Jennifer more relatable is turning down her quirkiness and giving her a more earthly feel, which could have been done without the trauma, natch. Note that a lot of the weirdness Jennifer reveled in is all gone, and the quirkiness that belies her character is more understated, such as Jennifer realizing her mirror is set for She-Hulk not for her human form.

This play for relatability also extends for the new supporting cast. Jennifer is surrounded by normal people at the office, all of whom have distinct appearances and personalities just by their appearances but they are not out of the ordinary for New York City. I am certain we will be seeing more of all of them as Tamaki's run continues, though whether Tamaki's run will last long enough to properly utilize them all is up in the air.

As I've said before, I think this book is definitely attempting to be a base for a Netflix show that does not yet exist, and the first issue basically confirmed my assumptions. It'd still be a bit weirder than the Netflix shows currently in existence but it's definitely more earthly and grounded, and Jennifer's traits, while still there, stop short of going into the wackiness we've come to expect.

Time will tell if the average consumer will latch onto this interpretation. We'll have a pretty good idea in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    As I've said before, I think this book is definitely attempting to be a base for a Netflix show that does not yet exist, and the first issue basically confirmed my assumptions. It'd still be a bit weirder than the Netflix shows currently in existence but it's definitely more earthly and grounded, and Jennifer's traits, while still there, stop short of going into the wackiness we've come to expect.
    it wouldn't shock me at all. If this book sees some success, I could totally see this being a show. Yeah. For the record, I really enjoyed the first issue a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by comicfan298 View Post
    I would say that this new direction is going back to her roots in her Savage days.
    I always hate when they regress characters past a point where the character development. Espically if the other is more interesting then say that.

I have to say I liked the first issue. Still not very fond of the art, I would still prefer another artist, but it was a good issue, altough as other users have mentioned, it was a very quick read. I'll pick issue 2

Incredible Member

Fair enough.

I still don't want to see Jen turning into an angry rage-aholic in service to an absolutely god-awful event that should've never been allowed to see the light of day. I especially fear that, if this new direction becomes popular enough, it may very well become Jen's new permanent status quo and the fun-loving Jen I liked may very well vanish forever, consumed by the modern comics fanbase's obsession with dark, brooding characters.

So I'm going to do the one thing I can do to try to prevent that possibility: I'm not going to support this book. I will do my part to see to it that this new direction dies a quick death.

If it does? Great! I get back the Jen I actually care about. If the run lasts a while? At least I'll know it didn't advance thanks to my support. If it turns out that Tamaki DOES plan to bring Jen back to where she's supposed to be eventually? Great! I'll consider starting to read from that point onward. If it really DOES look like this change is going to be a lasting one? Eh. Jen and I will have parted ways a long time ago by that point. At that point, I'll just have to accept that the Jen I liked is dead and the thing that now populates her book is just a pale mockery of the character I enjoyed, and I'll have no difficulty turning a cold shoulder to every book in which this fake Jen appears.
    This sentiment killed the last run ("I hate the art. Won't support the book.) The run before that ("Peter David is boring! Hate the art she looks like a man! Won't support the book.) And before ("I hate Ally McShehulk! The art sux! Pass!) all the way to John Byrne ("I wish she wasn't trying to be a comedian. No one will take her seriously! Pass!) Peter David made the (correct) observation that She Hulk doesn't sustain an audience because everyone has their own She Hulk in their heads.... making it nearly impossible for a writer to cater to a stable audience. With fans like us....

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    This sentiment killed the last run ("I hate the art. Won't support the book.) The run before that ("Peter David is boring! Hate the art she looks like a man! Won't support the book.) And before ("I hate Ally McShehulk! The art sux! Pass!) all the way to John Byrne ("I wish she wasn't trying to be a comedian. No one will take her seriously! Pass!) Peter David made the (correct) observation that She Hulk doesn't sustain an audience because everyone has their own She Hulk in their heads.... making it nearly impossible for a writer to cater to a stable audience. With fans like us....
    Soooo.......we should just buy every She-Hulk run, regardless of how we feel about it?
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Soooo.......we should just buy every She-Hulk run, regardless of how we feel about it?
    Apparently