Page 135 of 249 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145185235 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,025 of 3725
    Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elementalist View Post
    The good thing is that Mariko also made it solid that Jen's mind is set on how no matter what people tell her about recovering, it is not that simple. So far we could see that the cooking/baking videos are working only as a distraction from her running thoughts and temporarily puts a lid on her grief and anxiety. She immediately deems that time is a liar, I like how Mariko is giving Jen the options to pick and choose different mechanisms of coping and self-control before the monster inside her heart breaks loose. In plot we know that Jen will Hulk out, it is a relief that Mariko is being very careful to make sure that it is not completely forced. I could see a combination of Slott and Soule's depiction of Jen in her writing so that continuity is there. Too bad that the only trait that I could see from Bryne's run is how she seems to be kinda using the fourth wall, talking to to us a little with her thoughts going back and forth to her pep talk when she looses focus. It's awesome to see how her conversation with the reader gets broken up like that.
    I don't see it as ''breaking the fourth wall'' so much as inner narration due to her PTSD but other than that I agree word-for-word with what you say elementalist

More and more this is getting harder to read for me. First issue okay. Preview we have seen of issue #2 goes back to problems I have had this series. Its so frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Poor Jen and Flo is going to learn the hard way not to poke the bear.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

art by Magickmarker
    Carol may be able to help you out Jen but then again she has never seen Ghostbusters.

Fantastic Member

Hilarious - Jen/She-Hulk is talking about Lando Calrissian - very funny.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Supermutant2099 View Post
    More and more this is getting harder to read for me. First issue okay. Preview we have seen of issue #2 goes back to problems I have had this series. Its so frustrating.
    It's unfortunate for you that this new direction is not to your taste, but it serendipitously emphasizes the fact the She-Hulk does not have a united fanbase. Based on reactions from other articles on other websites, some like the new Hulk, some just go with the flow, and others hate it.

elementalist and John Ossie hit the nail on the head for me. Jen is dealing not only with trauma to herself, but also the widespread public rejoicing over the death of her beloved cousin Bruce, and at the hands of a teammate she was very close to. That hurts. A lot. It's been said that people hurt more for the pain of their loved ones than pain on themselves. A mother can endure pain inflicted on herself, but on her husband, or more so on her child, and it becomes an agony beyond endurance. Jen hurts for the damage done to her cousin's memory, compounded with her own near-death experience. I think that when Betty visited Jen in Civil War II: The Fallen, Jen subconsciously, intuitively knew that Bruce was gone (hence the tears, which for me is a real reaction, no ifs ands or buts about it—the fact that she is unconscious and still able to weep makes it even more powerful, no questions about that), and this could have effected the change in her skin tone and the scarring, so that when it was Carol's turn to visit her, she was asking for confirmation. So now we see Jen as she is right now.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    It's unfortunate for you that this new direction is not to your taste, but it serendipitously emphasizes the fact the She-Hulk does not have a united fanbase. Based on reactions from other articles on other websites, some like the new Hulk, some just go with the flow, and others hate it.

elementalist and John Ossie hit the nail on the head for me. Jen is dealing not only with trauma to herself, but also the widespread public rejoicing over the death of her beloved cousin Bruce, and at the hands of a teammate she was very close to. That hurts. A lot. It's been said that people hurt more for the pain of their loved ones than pain on themselves. A mother can endure pain inflicted on herself, but on her husband, or more so on her child, and it becomes an agony beyond endurance. Jen hurts for the damage done to her cousin's memory, compounded with her own near-death experience. I think that when Betty visited Jen in Civil War II: The Fallen, Jen subconsciously, intuitively knew that Bruce was gone (hence the tears, which for me is a real reaction, no ifs ands or buts about it—the fact that she is unconscious and still able to weep makes it even more powerful, no questions about that), and this could have effected the change in her skin tone and the scarring, so that when it was Carol's turn to visit her, she was asking for confirmation. So now we see Jen as she is right now.
    I can't just stand stupidity that this book is. Sorry but if I see something that is dumb and becoming more obvious that it is. Someone said jen avoiding tf into hulk for several issue which pretty much confirmed with solit for issue 5. If you are going to try to sell a comic to its fans big part of the selling point better not have plot holes that make story fall apart. All of what you said above still would not equal drastic change she-hulk gone through. I'm sorry but marvel shown that in past it wouldn't. Yes CWII should have left her upset but not such a dramatic changes to her she-hulk form.
    If really wait to issue 5 should have just named the book Jennifer Walters

She-Hulk related solicits for April

HULK #5

MARIKO TAMAKI (W) •NICO LEON (A)
    Cover by JEFF DEKAL
    RESURRXION VARIANT COVER BY PAULO SIQUERA

A HULK UNLEASHED! Ever since the tragic events of CIVIL WAR II, JENNIFER WALTERS has done everything she can to avoid transforming into her heroic other form. When a string of murders point to her newest client, Jen finds that she might be in over her head without her super-strong alter ego. But who is this new HULK? And, more importantly, can Jen hope to control her once she’s let loose?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

MARVEL MASTERWORKS: THE SAVAGE SHE-HULK VOL. 1 HC

Written by DAVID ANTHONY KRAFT with STAN LEE
    Penciled by MIKE VOSBURG with JOHN BUSCEMA
    Cover by JOHN BUSCEMA

When criminal defense attorney Jennifer Walters is shot by a mob hitman, her cousin saves her life with a blood transfusion — but that cousin is Bruce Banner, and his gamma-irradiated blood transforms her into the Savage She-Hulk! Suddenly she’s a mean, green lawyering machine, and criminals the world over had better watch out. Now, experience She-Hulk’s adventures from the very beginning in this beautifully restored Marvel Masterworks volume! Her quest will take her from the halls of justice to other dimensions — and pit her against Iron Man, mind-controlling cults, Man-Thing, and even her own father. But despite her new power, can Jennifer Walters survive the beast within? Her own blood is killing her — and only Morbius the Living Vampire may have the cure!
    Collecting SAVAGE SHE-HULK (1980) #1-14.
    296 PGS./Rated T …$75.00

Incredible Member

This is what I was afraid of... Mariko Tamaki is taking the "Indie" approach of small steps world building to deal with Jennifer's pain. The equivalent would be if (Bruce) The Incredible Hulk spent the first five issues dealing with Bruce's childhood trauma. By the time you got to the gamma bomb and the first transformation.... You've lost a third of your audience to something else. Over at Thor, you got Jane Thor swinging that hammer early, not dealing with cancer. That book is selling.... I have to wonder (being sexist here)... would this title rock harder if a guy was writing it?

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    This is what I was afraid of... Mariko Tamaki is taking the "Indie" approach of small steps world building to deal with Jennifer's pain. The equivalent would be if (Bruce) The Incredible Hulk spent the first five issues dealing with Bruce's childhood trauma. By the time you got to the gamma bomb and the first transformation.... You've lost a third of your audience to something else. Over at Thor, you got Jane Thor swinging that hammer early, not dealing with cancer. That book is selling.... I have to wonder (being sexist here)... would this title rock harder if a guy was writing it?
    I prefer that smaller steps, so that's nothing but a plus for me. In fact it might be for most people, as most people would agree that the story telling in Indie books is generally better. It also makes more sense for the Jane Thor book to be mostly action in the beginning because what she acquired was power and a weapon. They also were keeping the identity of hammer wielder a secret for the first 9 issues, so you can also say that was a slow burn.

This is series is more about an internal struggle. I'm sure there will be more action but if that's why you are reading this series, then I think you will find it disappointing.

To my shame I will not be able to read #2 until Saturday. I hope you all enjoy it! If I could I would buy the digital asap and then pick up a hard-copy...

I personally prefer a slower, more story/character focused approach. I love the JaneThor books, but my one issue with the first volume was the fact that we had 8-9 issues where we could never explore this new Thor's character, as they wanted to keep her a secret. Mighty Thor is much better now that we actually know who is tossing around the hammer. As for the writers sex I do not think it would matter, or at least not to any extreme length.

I'm not fan of slow burn. I think slow burn or pace to drag stories one of things hurting comics right now. Those 6 issue story arcs for trades went a lot of stories could be cut down. Not to say that slow burns or pace can't work but to much of isn't working right now in comics. I don't think this should have been book for it either. Considering how long its been since we actually got to see Jen in her Hulk form. How long been waiting to see what really is going on with it before the book even came out and dragging it out during the series is just dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    To my shame I will not be able to read #2 until Saturday. I hope you all enjoy it! If I could I would buy the digital asap and then pick up a hard-copy...

I personally prefer a slower, more story/character focused approach. I love the JaneThor books, but my one issue with the first volume was the fact that we had 8-9 issues where we could never explore this new Thor's character, as they wanted to keep her a secret. Mighty Thor is much better now that we actually know who is tossing around the hammer. As for the writers sex I do not think it would matter, or at least not to any extreme length.
    I didn't like the way how long it took to reveal janehtor espically when a lot people figured it out already. Could have been worse could have been unworthy wait for real Thor or how long took to reveal Red Hulks identity to which no one surprise it was General/Betty Ross.
    Last edited by Supermutant2099; 01-24-2017 at 12:37 PM.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I'm fine with a slow burn... but they are basically being up to an inevitable conclusion and reveal that we've already been spoiled on thanks to Civil War II: Tokyo Drift, solicits, promotional materials, and covers & variant covers. The build doesn't have much impact on me since I'm just biding my time until they finally get to the point I already know will happen.

Anyhow, I got a review copy of the second issue. Read it, reviewed it, and it'll be up tomorrow. I naturally can't talk about any specifics, details, or spoilers; but I will say this... your opinion on the series will not really change after you read #2. If you liked, hated, or felt indifferent about the first issue, I don't see #2 suddenly turning you in a different direction. I'll leave you with that vague statement.

Incredible Member Sensational C's Avatar

Is there any difference to the two Marvel Masterworks? Or am I overthinking it and its just one of them has a silver cover and and other has a green cover?

On an unrelated note, I'm guessing the cover artist colorist for #5 accidentally colored the scars blue instead of green or (unlikely) maybe when Jennifer loses 100% control the scars become blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensational C View Post
    Is there any difference to the two Marvel Masterworks? Or am I overthinking it and its just one of them has a silver cover and and other has a green cover?
    Yeah, its just a variant dust cover, the silver is the standard and the green is the Direct Markert cover (when you order the book through LCS).

Quote Originally Posted by Sensational C View Post
    On an unrelated note, I'm guessing the cover artist colorist for #5 accidentally colored the scars blue instead of green or (unlikely) maybe when Jennifer loses 100% control the scars become blue.
    If its colour error they will correct it by the time it comes to print. The could be intreresting indicator of when Jen is in control, green for control and blue for out of control.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Supermutant2099 View Post
    I can't just stand stupidity that this book is. Sorry but if I see something that is dumb and becoming more obvious that it is.
    That is harsh. It is. I searched for reviews of Hulk #1 two weeks ago and none of the reviewers used those words, even those not sold on Tamaki's writing.

If it's obvious that the book is dumb I don't see it anywhere. At all.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES