Page 191 of 249 FirstFirst ... 91141181187188189190191192193194195201241 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,865 of 3725
    "Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Alright folks, Marvel Legacy She-Hulk has arrived today with #159. I'm back on reviewing this title, which you can read here.

Non-spoiler review:
    Better than what came before, but somehow feels less and less connected or tied into the previous arcs. There's not even lipservice to the trauma and PTSD angle from the first arc or the stress she has been under or what not. It like almost everything thematic or what the title originally wanted to be has been lost.
    The Stephen King influence Tamaki indicated being inspired by for this arc seems to be Misery and... eh. It's not much. This whole issue is not much honestly. No excitement, no character focus of the previous arcs, no action, Jen only is hulked out for like three or four panels. This is pretty underwhelming on the writing and plot side of things, especially not helped by the poor humor.
    That said, loved the artwork.

While it is mostly set up. I like where it's going.

spoilers:
    Plus, it looks like Mariko could potential be creating a new She-Hulk villian.
    end of spoilers

Having read this myself, I have to say that Marvel has FINALLY found the perfect artist for this. Hallelujah.

That aside, I get the feeling that this is what Mariko wanted to do from the get-go but had to get the trauma out of the way first. Everything from the last year of Jen's story has more or less been pushed aside.

What this issue feels like to me is the first 15 minutes of a live-action "She-Hulk" show in its third or fourth episode. It feels like, more than ever, Marvel attempting to establish a baseline for its TV or movie division to adapt Jen. 95% of the content here is centered on Jen (which would be important to save money in a live-action deal). Ordinary Jen is acting far more witty and outgoing than she typically has throughout her history, which is something that we all noticed in last month's issue. She's basically "Sensational Jennifer Walters" at this point, so Jen can still act like Jen, but she won't act like Jen when she's Hulked Out anymore. Now her Hulk form is like what the average TV/film watcher would expect a Hulk to act like: a brute. Obviously, this means that Jen won't WANT to be Hulked Out anymore because of the negative personality/intelligence changes. It completely inverts how things used to work.

The issue itself is not bad. Robyn's scatter-brained behavior was getting on my nerves, but it at least makes sense why she is that way by the end of the book (the last page is particularly well-drawn by the way). I actually have some optimism for once, which is different from how I felt at the beginning of the previous two arcs.

I had dropped the series a few months ago but I might pick up the next issue or two to see where the story goes. At least Jen is acting like Jen again, even if it's in a different form from what we're used to, but I can live with that.
    Last edited by macattack; 11-08-2017 at 10:46 PM.

The most recent issue was better than anything before it in this run so far, but it's still lacking. I just want my green Shulkie back.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    The most recent issue was better than anything before it in this run so far, but it's still lacking. I just want my green Shulkie back.
    ....At least you've gotten to read She-Hulk LEGACY Pages (and her origin did includes some cameos of the F4).

It was ok. I keep expecting more from this book and it just never lives up to my expectations. I really liked the first arc that dealt with her trauma, but that's essentially been tossed aside now. I kinda felt like the humor worked against this issue honestly, especially later in the book when we meet the villain. Idk, it kinda got to be overkill for me with the snarkiness. While I don't mind her being snarky, I'd also like some more serious dialogue as well. Seems like a book that isn't quite sure whether it wants to be serious or goofy. But I think the worst thing is that it's boring...she turns into Hulk for what? 3 panels? And that's pretty much all the action in the issue. I'll give it another issue because I do think the direction sounds intriguing but I was underwhelmed sadly.

Newest cover, no other info but it looks great

IMG_0558.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by elementalist View Post

IMG_0558.jpg
    She-Hulk vs. She-Hulk.

Hmm...

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

IMG_0558.jpg
    Hey, it's showing what we want to see, classic Jen beating up the mishandled, awkwardly-written, and forced new Jen!

I'm expecting it's some kind of "battle of the minds" where Jen's She-Hulk personality goes up against the Hulk-side that represents her trauma, and once it's beaten she finally becomes green again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She-Hulk vs. She-Hulk.

Hmm...
    That last page certainly hinted at something like that happening soon.

Just managed to read #159 (My LCS did not put a copy back at first, due to the name change!) and I really enjoyed it. As others have said, the art was great and I think it suits the writing well. Fingers crossed we can keep it consistent over the arc, with no more sudden art changes mid-way through a scene! Its interesting how the PTSD aspect of the story seems to have been left behind a bit. Jen still seems a little vulnerable but nothing akin to the first or second arc. She is acting a lot more like 'old' Jen now. Its strange, as that was never really wrapped up the whole mental illness thing well. Is that it for now? We will just have to wait and see. I suppose when Jen finally goes back to being green (I know some think its not gonna happen but... I remain hopeful!) it may be bought up again, but still seems like a weak cop-out if this is it.

The Leaders appearance was a bit naff. Just a "Hay Jen, I'm here, gonna do evil things, OK bye now..." but I guess we will see more as the ark goes on. Not sure what anyone else thinks, but I really liked the idea behind Robyn. I would be nice if Tamaki gives us a new arc-enemy from for Jen. Maise had potential, but Tamaki dropped the ball with her very fast and never picked it up again. I kinda hope Robyn dose Hulk out and becomes a kinda obsessed Anti-Hulk or something. It never hurts to have some more female Hulks in the MU! Also nice to see that Patsy is still popping up.

I wonder if the Legacy renaming/numbering/Leader will help the sales?

IMG_0558.jpg
    It does look great. The covers have been a constant joy of the book, in my opinion. I wonder... is it just me, or does the 'green' She-Hulk seem to be the more prominent figure here? The one we are meant to support? A sign perhaps that she could be back to normal soon? Am I just looking into a cover too deep? (Yep.)
    Last edited by Valamist; 11-09-2017 at 07:14 PM.

Incredible Member Sensational C's Avatar

IMG_0558.jpg
    It seems we've taken a 90-135 degree turn from the last She-Hulk vs She-Hulk cover with a stalemate in Sensational's favor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    It does look great. The covers have been a constant joy of the book, in my opinion. I wonder... is it just me, or does the 'green' She-Hulk seem to be the more prominent figure here? The one we are meant to support? A sign perhaps that she could be back to normal soon? Am I just looking into a cover too deep? (Yep.)
    I would agree with more prominent with her standing above and in front of Hulk blocking part of her from view.
    Who were meant to support is debatable as people usually root for the underdog, which in this moment is Hulk, but us knowing grey and green scarred is the manifestation of Jen's anger with recent tragedy so we would want to support Sensational, at least thats how I see it.
    I hope so and Nah going too deep would be counting the wrinkles of Jen's shirt dividing them by the number of Hulk's scars, add the issue number, subtract the amount of rips in both clothing, multiple by all the shades of green used to theorize how many panels are left until Jennifer and She-Hulk are fully back.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She-Hulk vs. She-Hulk.

Hmm...
    It's a variant cover for #159
    Last edited by comicfan298; 11-10-2017 at 01:40 AM.