Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Cypher Appreciation 2018

Cypher (Douglas Ramsey) first appeared in New Mutants #13 and died in New Mutants #60. Cypher was resurrected by the transmode virus in Necrosha.

His mutant powers include Semi-telepathic and semi-clairvoyant omnilingualism. He intuitively translates any languages he comes into contact with. Understanding written, spoken, and body language. He can also translate complex codes, computer language, dead languages, and alien communication. Thanks in part to his resurrection Cypher is able to "read" his opponent's combat skills/styles and even approximate their moves, giving him a new advantage in fighting.

Cypher has currently has taken up residence with the New X-Factor team at Serval Industries.
    Last edited by Synthetic Innocence; 04-30-2014 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Mistake

It will be interesting to see the new x-factor team's next fight now that they have Doug (with his new tactician skills) and Gambit who is an extremely skilled fighter, plus Polaris with her powers.
    Last edited by Synthetic Innocence; 04-30-2014 at 09:15 PM.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Thanks for starting the thread Synthetic Innocence. Yes, I'm very interested to see what David does with Doug too. As a writer he seems to like the characters with more obscure powers; and it'll be cool to see Doug working with Serval tech.

I really liked Doug when he joined the New Mutants and sometimes appeared in X-Men, he was very young (like they all) and lacked confidence, which made him very likeable. I am curious to see what the writers will do with him in X-Factor. I hope he gets some good storylines.

I agree with both of you. Doug has a lot of potential to become a dynamic character with this new start. It's nice to see him go from the least loved character in New Mutants to a member of the new X-Factor.

I always liked Doug because he wasn't as sure of himself as the others. He had doubts and fears, he was vulnerable in a realistic way.

He's had a lot of trauma and I'm sure with Peter David writing him we will get to see him deal with everything that he's been through in the last year.

It will also be interesting to see how he deals with being resurrected from the dead. So far he's seemed depressed but mostly because he regrets the damage he did while under the virus's control.

It's nice to see him and Warlock together again too.

Spectacular Member Living Silver's Avatar

SUPER stoked that Doug's got his own thread! I don't remember one on the old forum. He's one of my favorite x-characters, and I'm glad that he's with Quicksilver (another of my favorites).

Fun Fact: I was Cypher for Halloween one year.

I'm totally feelin you, Synthetic Innocence, on liking Doug cuz he's not sure of himself. I hated Zeb Well's version of him cuz he took that away, but DnA kinda fixed it a bit. So I'm liking him better again. A lot was done with him at the end of the most recent new Mutants series, so it will be interesting to see where PAD takes him.
    Quicksilver.tk

Doug has been a favourite of mine since he was resurrected during Necrosha.
    I had never encountered him before that, but found him to be great character with an interesting (and since then well used) powerset.
    Really look forward to seeing what's done with him in X-Factor as Peter David really as a knack for bring characters personalities to life.
    As well as taking an interesting look at how a characters powers and history shape that character.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

It occurs to me that Doug died at the right time. His powers were a bit ahead of their time in the Claremont era. Now he can be king of the internet in the information age. He's far more useful than ever before.

I wonder will he ever catch up with Kitty?

BANNED

Doug's factually the 3rd best New Mutant (after Rhane and Dani, in that order). He's also only one of two male characters who's good enuff for Kitty Pryde (the other's Sam).

Subscribed. A must for all of the "original" New Mutants...

Spectacular Member SoupStainedTie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    I wonder will he ever catch up with Kitty?
    One of my biggest current X-Annoyances is that Doug has been resurrected as long as he has, and he has still never shared a scene with Kitty or Rahne.

It's especially annoying, because it's such a glaring example of a weakness of Marvel's current storytelling style:

"Q: Mr. Writer/Editor, when will be finally see Doug reunited with his best friends Kitty and Rahne?"

A: No plans for that any time soon, we couldn't possibly cram important character moments and development into our books with all the crazy things going on in the X-Men's lives right now! Why, they barely have time to breathe with all the fallout from Battle of the Durp, and X-Durpication! Maybe you'll get your wish someday, though, when the team gets a breather!"

Here's hoping someone like Peter David, who hails from a better age, will rectify it.

I love Cypher, but not depressed, suicidal Cypher. Let's hope that improves.

BANNED

Woot! A Cypher thread! Here I thought I was the only guy who liked this character and see's his potential!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I love Cypher, but not depressed, suicidal Cypher. Let's hope that improves.
    Maybe that's gonna be a big part of his character in X-Factor...

BANNED

Forget Rhane & Kitty, wherez my Betsy "scene"?!