Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I love Cypher, but not depressed, suicidal Cypher. Let's hope that improves.
    You have to admit the guy has reason to be. I mean his body was reanimated and attacked his friends. He caused a lot of destruction and though he had no control over it, he still has to be feeling guilty.

He's been through a major trauma, give the guy a break lol.

Depression is a step any intelligent self-aware life form would go through after something so massive.

Spectacular Member

Years of Uncanny X-Cast episodes have made me a fan of Cypher and I look forward to PAD giving him the Madrox treatment. This character seems primed to have inventive uses for his power and lines in the preview like Quicky show he can have a funny demeanor. Can't wait for more

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic Innocence View Post
    You have to admit the guy has reason to be. I mean his body was reanimated and attacked his friends. He caused a lot of destruction and though he had no control over it, he still has to be feeling guilty.

He's been through a major trauma, give the guy a break lol.

Depression is a step any intelligent self-aware life form would go through after something so massive.
    I just read over the last few New Mutant issues, and I'd forgotten how horrified and traumatized Doug was after what went down. Not every mutant can brush off discovering their inner insane megalomaniac. And he is a thoughtful and sensitive person. I think you're right.

Before Necrosha I only had read very little with Doug in it but I really liked the character and his resurrection in Necrosha was awesome and then his appearances in NM showed how useful his powers could really be. Now with so much computerization his powers are even more useful than anyone could have imagined back in the 80's and since they have evolved to tactical skills and allowing him to read the body language and movements of others, he will be valuable asset to X-Factor.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupStainedTie View Post
    One of my biggest current X-Annoyances is that Doug has been resurrected as long as he has, and he has still never shared a scene with Kitty or Rahne.

It's especially annoying, because it's such a glaring example of a weakness of Marvel's current storytelling style:

"Q: Mr. Writer/Editor, when will be finally see Doug reunited with his best friends Kitty and Rahne?"

A: No plans for that any time soon, we couldn't possibly cram important character moments and development into our books with all the crazy things going on in the X-Men's lives right now! Why, they barely have time to breathe with all the fallout from Battle of the Durp, and X-Durpication! Maybe you'll get your wish someday, though, when the team gets a breather!"

Here's hoping someone like Peter David, who hails from a better age, will rectify it.
    Exactly! All these big events that change everything and shake the status quo are so common that there's no longer time for what is supposed to be the most important part: character moments/development! Back in the day you couldn't have brought back Cypher and not have him catch up with Kitty and Rahne (and maybe even Psylocke, lol) And if there was some reason that they couldn't catch up like being on two different teams operating on different sides of the earth or in different dimensions it still wasn't completely glossed over or forgotten about and the first time they shared a panel or lived under the same roof they hugge or talked or something. And there isn't any excuse why they wouldn't have caught up by now, they just haven't because nobody wrote that. It's annoying and unacceptable. Everything important happens off panel nowadays.

Okay, that's enough of ranting. I'm really excited to see what PAD does with Doug.

I'm just happy he got put in a group book again, or any book for that matter.

He's too good a character to be left in the Marvel unused pool.

Spectacular Member Living Silver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    It occurs to me that Doug died at the right time. His powers were a bit ahead of their time in the Claremont era. Now he can be king of the internet in the information age. He's far more useful than ever before.

I wonder will he ever catch up with Kitty?
    This. It will be exciting to see his reaction to finally becoming a valuable member of the team, as it affects his self-confidence. then again, it's the prospect of him becoming too powerful in the futre that is scaring him at the moment. There is some fresh, uncovered ground here to explore that has never been an issue for any x-character in the entire history of the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupStainedTie View Post
    One of my biggest current X-Annoyances is that Doug has been resurrected as long as he has, and he has still never shared a scene with Kitty or Rahne.

It's especially annoying, because it's such a glaring example of a weakness of Marvel's current storytelling style:

"Q: Mr. Writer/Editor, when will be finally see Doug reunited with his best friends Kitty and Rahne?"

A: No plans for that any time soon, we couldn't possibly cram important character moments and development into our books with all the crazy things going on in the X-Men's lives right now! Why, they barely have time to breathe with all the fallout from Battle of the Durp, and X-Durpication! Maybe you'll get your wish someday, though, when the team gets a breather!"

Here's hoping someone like Peter David, who hails from a better age, will rectify it.
    Ladies and gentlemen, we have an old school Doug fan here^^^^.

PAD wrote the story in the back of one of the annuals where Rahne is mourning Doug at his grave site. I'm sure he hasn't forgot the research that he put into writing that story. Somewhere along the line I'm confident that he will address Doug's death and resurrection in relation to Rahne. Keep in mind that She has already celebrated Doug's "resurrection" a couple of times already (once when Warlock was pretending to be Doug, and another time when Douglock showed up). She's probably burned out on fake Doug resurrections, and won't be gleeful when her heart is played with yet again.
    Quicksilver.tk

Spectacular Member Living Silver's Avatar

Some Doug-merging with Warlock scans:

cypher07.jpg
    Quicksilver.tk

I'm just happy he got put in a group book again, or any book for that matter.
    Me, too. Instead of him always depending on Warlock in combat, though, I'd like to see him trained in espionage or something like that. Give him a gun, and some skills, and make him useful on his own...

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    Me, too. Instead of him always depending on Warlock in combat, though, I'd like to see him trained in espionage or something like that. Give him a gun, and some skills, and make him useful on his own...
    His new fighting and strategizing skills should help with usefulness.

His new fighting and strategizing skills should help with usefulness.
    Where'd he get those? I haven't read anything he was in for years...

He gained the ability to "read" his opponent's body language and come up with strategic advantages based on what he's read.

This all occurred after his resurrection. The transmode virus is likely, in part, the reason for this. When he returned in Necrosha he was far from the non-combatant, hiding behind a tree, Doug from the early new mutants.

He took out Sunspot, Cannonball and Magik when he first appeared on Genosha also.

He gained the ability to "read" his opponent's body language and come up with strategic advantages based on what he's read.
    That sounds awesome, actually. Sounds alot like Cassandra Cain. A logical step for his power, too. I'm gonna go read up on him at Comic Vine...

When Cypher was resurrected he returned with some new ways of using his powers, giving him lots of new skills.
    When he returns he starts to see everything as a language, the environment, the world around him, body movement, fighting etc.
    Since he understands all language he can then interpret the world around him, intuit what people are thinking, make educated guesses as to what's about to happen and things like that.
    I thought it was very interesting.

When he returned in Necrosha he was under Selene's control and was able to do this to his former teammates.

And that's just the unrestrained fighting skills he came back with.
    He's done much more beyond that.
    Trying to catch up on 2 years of Marvel comics.....
    Comic Book Parody - Funny comic book stuff.
    X-Men: Drama of the Atom - An unfinished Battle of the Atom parody.

So he's basically gone from being useless in combat to, possibly, the best fighter in X-Factor? That's boss. What a turn-around. Is he skilled in actual combat, though, or is he just doing it subconsciously?

I love me some Dougfriend. <3
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."