Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    Does anyone else get the feeling that there treating this film more like a Batman spinoff than anything else?
    Yes. So much focus on Harley/Joker/Batman. They could easily play up Deadshot being a former Bat villain throw in Katana likely being a spy for Batman.

When I think Suicide Squad I still think Waller/Tiger/Deadshot/Boomerang/(Nightshade). I know Harley has taken over the female lead position in the nu52 and she sells tickets. But I'm dreading the movie becoming a prequel to a Batman vs. the Joker movie. No Bronze Tiger and Nightshade in the movie. I didn't see Boomerang at all in the trailers. Just a lot of the characters who have Bat-tie ins.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    What? Daredevil, if anything, started as a Spider-man clone.
    Miller took the book and added his noir touch to it, and THEN went to Batman and did the same thing.
    True but . . . much of the inspiration for the "noir touch" Miller applied to Daredevil came from the work of Denny O'Neil (Miller's editor on Daredevil, Dark Knight Returns, and Batman: Year One) and Neal Adams on Batman (and both O'Neil and Miller were inspired by the work of Walter Gibson on the Shadow). So, for all intents and purposes, Miller basically did replace DD's Spider-Man template with a Batman one.
    Last edited by kalorama; 07-14-2015 at 02:14 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    I've never heard that before. Marvel's Batman-inspired characters are recognized as Daredevil, Iron Man, Moon Knight (total rip-off, but I like the character), and Nighthawk (ditto, don't like the character).
    Aside from being a millionaire playboy (and Golden and Silver Age comics were lousy with superheroes who were also independently wealthy) there's really nothing in Iron Man's foundation that relates back to Batman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Yes. So much focus on Harley/Joker/Batman. They could easily play up Deadshot being a former Bat villain throw in Katana likely being a spy for Batman.

When I think Suicide Squad I still think Waller/Tiger/Deadshot/Boomerang/(Nightshade). I know Harley has taken over the female lead position in the nu52 and she sells tickets. But I'm dreading the movie becoming a prequel to a Batman vs. the Joker movie. No Bronze Tiger and Nightshade in the movie. I didn't see Boomerang at all in the trailers. Just a lot of the characters who have Bat-tie ins.
    That's basically what they did with Assault on Arkham and it was a great Suicide Squad flick. The Bat-trappings are just there to ensure the movie sells.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    What "focus" on Batman? He appeared for all of 2 seconds in the trailer, which was basically the first official acknowledgement of his presence in the film (before that it was all unofficial set photos, cell phone video. and bystander reports). And, aside from Joker, most people won't have any idea going in which of the others are or aren't Batman villains. Also, unless this film is set back several years in the past from MOS/Dawn of Justice, it seems likely that some of these characters may have sprung up in the time since Batman "retired."

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Her outfit may not have been but her behavior was, mostly towards Joker but also sometimes towards Batman.
    Yeah, on second thought I think you're right about this. My point still stands that Harley Quinn has always been sexualized. I mean, she's kind of problematic character if you think about it. But she has legions of female fans, who just think she's funny/cool. That's why I am hoping so bad that they do her well in SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    This is true. McKenzie's script were darker fare, but Miller really pulled the character down into the urban hero level, the savior of Hell's Kitchen.
    Miller and Bendis are the two masters of that DD.
    Believe me, nobody's going to dispute Miller was the man when it came to DD. Like I said in this thread (or the other), it was my favorite title during Miller's stint. Denny O'Neil kept the ball rolling after Miller stopped writing it, too. And, of course, Kevin Smith's take had Miller written all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Well, by the mid 80S, Spider-Man also became more like Daredevil
    If you're referring to the stories featuring Hobgoblin, Punisher and the Rose (not a woman, for the unititiated), I agree there was an aesthetic overlap.

Aside from being a millionaire playboy (and Golden and Silver Age comics were lousy with superheroes who were also independently wealthy) there's really nothing in Iron Man's foundation that relates back to Batman.
    Each is a millionaire/billionaire playboy, a superintelligent guy who designs his own tech (with or without outside assistance), and his parents were murdered. Not so much a rip-off, but some borrowing.

I honestly didn't know who many of the characters were but I'm at least curious about the film now.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The people complaining about the trailer are a vocal minority. Just ignore them and enjoy the hype. Criticize the film after it comes out.

The complaints are opinions and should be taken as such.

I'd like to see this movie do well, if only so that some great female DCU characters (Harley, Enchantress, Katana) finally get their due. Margot Robbie may incense some feminist fans but she has undeniable mainstream appeal and talent to make this work. Will Smith is already an "established A-lister" - so the likelihood of him dominating this film (and potentially the franchise) is a possibility which I would absolutely loathe if it happens. Sorry if this comes off as Will Smith hate but it's still very early to say much more.

Hasn't most of the response to this been positive? I mean, I have issues with parts of it, but overall I enjoyed the first look and it made me more interested in seeing the movie.

But that Joker.....it just isn't grabbing me.....

BANNED

Stan said the inspiration for Tony Stark was Howard Hughes...which, I can see Hughes making an Iron Suit while being batshit insane. Steel kleenex boxes for boots.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    Believe me, nobody's going to dispute Miller was the man when it came to DD. Like I said in this thread (or the other), it was my favorite title during Miller's stint. Denny O'Neil kept the ball rolling after Miller stopped writing it, too. And, of course, Kevin Smith's take had Miller written all over it.
    Yeah, well, that's kind of Smith's comics career. Do something that someone else did, and do it not that well.