Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Just looked at the cover for #45.

****!!!

I come to Tec for more grounded, as well as much less grander, Batman stories. I love Scott Snyder, but only issues #11, #19-20, the first 4 issues of Zero Year, and #34 of the flagship series has given me that.

Gone are the days when we could get something similar to that silent, trafficing story.

Honestly, why the hell are the Justice League in a Tec issue? Why does Jim need to be part of the Justice League? Is he not an officer of the law? This doesn't make any sense.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by HeWhoSlapsAll View Post
    If only Lemire wasn't exclusive to Marvel...*sigh*.

I'd love J.H. Williams III to come back.
    Lemire isn't exclusive to Marvel. He has been doing work for Valiant too.

Hopefully J.H. Williams III will come back soon since The Sandman mini-series is now wrapping up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Monkey View Post
    Lemire isn't exclusive to Marvel. He has been doing work for Valiant too.

Hopefully J.H. Williams III will come back soon since The Sandman mini-series is now wrapping up.
    1) When he went to Marvel to work on ANXM, it was announced that he signed some kind of exclusive deal. I guess it's only exclusive from DC, then? lol

2) Hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by HeWhoSlapsAll View Post
    1) When he went to Marvel to work on ANXM, it was announced that he signed some kind of exclusive deal. I guess it's only exclusive from DC, then? lol

2) Hopefully.
    If I recall correctly, back in the day, that's usually how it was. Writers who were signed on to Marvel or DC were free to pursue work at indie companies. They just couldn't do work for the other company in the Big 2.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    It was the Batman book for people who were tired of Snyder's overly-long and meaningless arcs.

Now? It looks like it could be turning into a Geoff Johns-lite clone.

Maybe they'll get around to introducing that third Batman title with Silvestri art soon?
    I sure tired of Snyder's take, but Detective felt even more meaningless either under Daniel, Layman or Manapul/Buccellato... the art alone remained its redeeming quality so far.

I just wish it had a purpose beyond being "that other Batman book that's not really important", and Justice League-lite is not really doing it for me.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Yeah, I got burned out on Snyder's run myself. The thing is I was still reading 'Tec because, of late, it had been offering stories that were on a smaller scale that weren't taking a year to tell. With Tomasi at the helm we're likely to be getting big bombastic stories like Snyder is telling in the main Bat title and frankly I don't like Batman enough for that.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Not a bold choice but not a bad choice. Tomasi showed he's capable of doing a Bat book thats not the main Bat book, and to work in regards to the main book. Plus Manapul and Buccellato's run never exactly wooed me. Wasn't bad, but not great either.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-14-2015 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Not a bold choice but not a bad choice. Tomasi showed he's capable of doing a Bat book that not the main Bat book, and to work in regards to the main book. Plus Manapul and Buccellato's run never exactly wooed me. Wasn't bad, but not great either.
    I still don't know if that was their fault or if they just got derailed by Convergence and other things beyond their control.

Maybe safe isn't the worst idea here though. He's proven, so get him to steady the ship here in light of Manupal's sudden departure, then see what happens.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Am I he only guy here who liked Manapul and Buccellato's run? I really liked their work with Bullock and their new story with Jim seems good. If there had to be a new team my druthers would have been Ben Percy and John Paul Leon as I absolutely loved their two parter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Maybe safe isn't the worst idea here though. He's proven, so get him to steady the ship here in light of Manupal's sudden departure, then see what happens.
    If they just have him doing an arc it's one thing, but I don't know how open-ended his tenure will be at present.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Am I he only guy here who liked Manapul and Buccellato's run?
    I was seeing good things and "eh" things with it. I liked some of the ideas, but it didn't feel like they were getting anywhere with some of the stories.

Again, how much was under their control is anybody's guess.

I liked the Manapul/Buccellato run when Manapul was illustrating. It was spectacular, and they had trouble writing endings, but they were solid ground-level stories, and I liked the extra perspective from Harvey Bullock. This most recent arc has been a bore, though.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Am I he only guy here who liked Manapul and Buccellato's run? I really liked their work with Bullock and their new story with Jim seems good. If there had to be a new team my druthers would have been Ben Percy and John Paul Leon as I absolutely loved their two parter.
    I've been enjoying it well enough. They're not perfect writers, so it really needed Manapul's art to elivate it. I also think with all things being the same, I by far preferred their run on Flash.

But yeah, I think Percy/Leon was the best the book has been since the relaunch.

I also had been enjoying the Manapul and Buccelato run. Obviously the art was incredible, and Manapul's layouts and drawings continue to impress, but I also enjoyed the focus on Bullock as a deuteroganist/antagonist to Batman and the appropriate elements of mystery and detective work in the book.

I wouldn't say they were amazing stories, but they were solid and enjoyable, which is enough for me .

I also personally usually find Tomasi's stories to be generally solid, which is why I'm fine with him on the book, and Marcio Takara is a great artist. While I'm disappointed to see the book potentially moving away from the focus on Bullock and more street-level stories, I think Tomasi focusing on Jim as Batman interacting more with the wider DCU has a lot of potential .