Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by comicfiend View Post
    Response from Kurtis: Yes. It's cancelled unfortunately.
    Thanks for confirming it. I'm really disappointed. I was enjoying it and this is the first time a comic on my pull list has been cancelled part way through the series.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by comicfiend View Post
    Response from Kurtis: Yes. It's cancelled unfortunately.
    wow, so #3 that just came out is the last issue?

guess at least it saves me some money... Any status on Peter Panzerfaust? It's been stuck on #23 for like 4 or 5 months I think.

Poor Kurtis. It seems all of his books have had some kind of off-panel turmoil...
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    Thanks for confirming it. I'm really disappointed. I was enjoying it and this is the first time a comic on my pull list has been cancelled part way through the series.
    I'm kind of a little stunned it's cancelled after just three issues. I was enjoying it too, but thought it kind of an odd book and it wasn't what I was expecting from reading the initial solicits for issue #1.

Pisces is the third book on my pull list (fourth if you count Image United) that was cancelled. The first was Umbral (cancelled after issue #12 came out) though to be fair I was gonna drop it after issue #12 came out. Rise of the Magi though there seems to be some confusion. Issue #6 was cancelled but issue #7 is still on the release schedule for coming out September 2. Not sure what's going on but this book has suffered nothing but delay after delay. Issue #4 came out in September, and then issue #5 came out in January. Issue #6 kept getting pushed back and back and then I noticed today actually that it's been listed as cancelled but yet issue 7 is still scheduled. I don't know. Also, I don't think Secret Identities was supposed to originally end with the upcoming issue #7. It was pushed as a monthly and then with the September solicits, surprised everyone with the FINAL ISSUE tag. Mad about that one too.

Anyways, Intersect was just cancelled after 6 issues with 7 and 8 solicited and then cancelled. I wonder how bad the sales numbers were for Pisces that it got the ax after just three issues. Ouch.

I'm reading a few books that I really enjoy that it just seems like they're books no one is getting (though I'm probably wrong) and I keep wondering if they're gonna get cancelled before it gets to finish it's story in Birhtright, Low, Postal, Reyn, Southern Cross, The Tithe, and Wayward. Over at Dark Horse I love Rebels and am hoping Brian Wood gets to finish that. I loved Resurrectionists at Dark Horse too, but after 3 issues that got banished to digital first with the TPB coming out next month. Issue #7 hasn't been solicited yet at the website which is making me think it got cancelled after issue #6. The book was supposed to go a lot longer than 6 issues.

With a lot of books in the market, it's bound to happen that some books fall through the cracks and no one buys. It's the sad part of the business no matter how good the book is or not.
    Last edited by Mjolnir; 07-15-2015 at 05:48 PM.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    I'm kind of a little stunned it's cancelled after just three issues. I was enjoying it too, but thought it kind of an odd book and it wasn't what I was expecting from reading the initial solicits for issue #1.

Pisces is the third book on my pull list (fourth if you count Image United) that was cancelled. The first was Umbral (cancelled after issue #12 came out) though to be fair I was gonna drop it after issue #12 came out. Rise of the Magi though there seems to be some confusion. Issue #6 was cancelled but issue #7 is still on the release schedule for coming out September 2. Not sure what's going on but this book has suffered nothing but delay after delay. Issue #4 came out in September, and then issue #5 came out in January. Issue #6 kept getting pushed back and back and then I noticed today actually that it's been listed as cancelled but yet issue 7 is still scheduled. I don't know. Also, I don't think Secret Identities was supposed to originally end with the upcoming issue #7. It was pushed as a monthly and then with the September solicits, surprised everyone with the FINAL ISSUE tag. Mad about that one too.

Anyways, Intersect was just cancelled after 6 issues with 7 and 8 solicited and then cancelled. I wonder how bad the sales numbers were for Pisces that it got the ax after just three issues. Ouch.

I'm reading a few books that I really enjoy that it just seems like they're books no one is getting (though I'm probably wrong) and I keep wondering if they're gonna get cancelled before it gets to finish it's story in Birhtright, Low, Postal, Reyn, Southern Cross, The Tithe, and Wayward. Over at Dark Horse I love Rebels and am hoping Brian Wood gets to finish that. I loved Resurrectionists at Dark Horse too, but after 3 issues that got banished to digital first with the TPB coming out next month. Issue #7 hasn't been solicited yet at the website which is making me think it got cancelled after issue #6. The book was supposed to go a lot longer than 6 issues.

With a lot of books in the market, it's bound to happen that some books fall through the cracks and no one buys. It's the sad part of the business no matter how good the book is or not.
    Intersect is dead as well? Huh, well I guess that is that.

As for Pisces getting cancelled, that's a shame also for Johnnie Christmas. I was hoping he do well after Sheltered. But man, cancelled three issues in and rest won't see the light of the day. Marvel's Ultimate FF (my pick for worst comic of 2014 by the way) was cancelled three issues in, but it at least got to finish out its story arc. Image is FAR harsher when it comes to canning titles than DC or Marvel surprising, since those two will let the writer wrap things up.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Intersect is dead as well? Huh, well I guess that is that.

As for Pisces getting cancelled, that's a shame also for Johnnie Christmas. I was hoping he do well after Sheltered. But man, cancelled three issues in and rest won't see the light of the day. Marvel's Ultimate FF (my pick for worst comic of 2014 by the way) was cancelled three issues in, but it at least got to finish out its story arc. Image is FAR harsher when it comes to canning titles than DC or Marvel surprising, since those two will let the writer wrap things up.
    Can't say I'm a fan of cancelling books that soon. I wonder if it was Wiebe's choice to do this or if Image actually had a say in it? It really alienates your fanbase to cancel something before even the first arc is finished.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

I've had the following cancelled mid-arc:
    - Pisces
    - Sundowners (Dark Horse is making available on TP, but that'd cost me more $ as I'd already paid for some of the singles)
    - Where Is Jake Ellis?
    - Mind the Gap (I believe Jim McCann had been having health issues, but I never heard anything official, then after over 6 months the remaining books were cancelled)
    - others I'm probably not recalling

Several that finished out their arc, but not their story, such as Umbral.

Several that I wonder when they'll wrap given sales figures: Sex, The Bunker, The Life After, Letter 44. I think Low is still pulling okay numbers.
    Last edited by comicfiend; 07-15-2015 at 09:08 PM.

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

I'm reading a few books that I really enjoy that it just seems like they're books no one is getting (though I'm probably wrong) and I keep wondering if they're gonna get cancelled before it gets to finish it's story in Birhtright, Low, Postal, Reyn, Southern Cross, The Tithe, and Wayward.
    Wayward is the first ongoing Image comic series I've ever bought/followed [well, actually I did read some of Hack/Slash and Walking Dead in their first omnibus/compendium volumes years before Wayward existed], and I really hope Jim Zub is able to finish his story without any risk of cancellation. It's also currently the only ongoing Image comic that I will be buying every single issue of it to support the comic for as long as it runs. I think it's doing well though, since it seems every issue always get good reviews on Jim Zub's website.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    Wayward is the first ongoing Image comic series I've ever bought/followed [well, actually I did read some of Hack/Slash and Walking Dead in their first omnibus/compendium volumes years before Wayward existed], and I really hope Jim Zub is able to finish his story without any risk of cancellation. It's also currently the only ongoing Image comic that I will be buying every single issue of it to support the comic for as long as it runs. I think it's doing well though, since it seems every issue always get good reviews on Jim Zub's website.
    Yeah, I had read in either one of the letter's pages or in an interview Zub had said that if sales were great then his regular planned story would be either six or seven 5 or 6 issue arcs totaling under 40 issues. If sales weren't all that great then his plan B is tell a shortened version of his original plan. He's said he knows how Wayward ends, he just has two ways to get there depending on sales.

Quote Originally Posted by comicfiend
    I think Low is still pulling okay numbers.
    Like with Black Science, Rick Remender has said the complete story of Low will depend on sales. Black Science I think will finish under or around 50 issues with this original plan, and he sees Low finishing around that issue length as well, again, sales pending. If it starts to not look good, he has a shortened version he'll put out. That's what happened to Fear Agent. His original plan was to tell an additional two arcs so, but had to shorten up due to sales.
    Last edited by Mjolnir; 07-15-2015 at 10:29 PM.

Incredible Member

The only book that I've been truly burned on was The Mercenary Sea...the create team kept promising issue 8 was going to come out until they recently announced it was dead. I'm still crushed by that, as it was one of my favorite image books.

I never gave Pisces a second look, but for those who were resent and enjoying it, I'm sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    The only book that I've been truly burned on was The Mercenary Sea...the create team kept promising issue 8 was going to come out until they recently announced it was dead. I'm still crushed by that, as it was one of my favorite image books.

I never gave Pisces a second look, but for those who were resent and enjoying it, I'm sorry.
    I almost picked that series up when issue #1 came out. I kept looking at other issues and wondered if I was missing out. Was there ever a reason given why the creative quit the book?

Black Magick #1
    Black Magick #1 Magazine Size Variant
    Chew #51
    Drifter #9
    East of West #23
    The Fade Out #10
    I Hate Fairyland #1
    F*ck Fairyland #1 Variant
    Invincible #124
    Invisible Republic #7
    Nailbiter #16
    Ody-C #8
    Paper Girls #1
    Plutona #2
    Rasputin #10
    Rumble #8
    Savior #7
    Shutter #16
    Southern Bastards #12
    Spread #11
    They're Not Like Us #9
    Tokyo Ghost #2
    Trees #14

Incredible Member

I almost picked that series up when issue #1 came out. I kept looking at other issues and wondered if I was missing out. Was there ever a reason given why the creative quit the book?
    The Mercenary Sea Facebook page explained why. I can't really remember what the specific reason was, but it came down to sales. I'm hoping the book finds life at Boom or Oni. It's fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    The Mercenary Sea Facebook page explained why. I can't really remember what the specific reason was, but it came down to sales. I'm hoping the book finds life at Boom or Oni. It's fantastic!
    Yea, Mercenary Sea was a tough one for me too, I absolutely loved that book. I should've known something was up when all the Facebook page was doing was promoting Reyn(which I recently dropped.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dorktron View Post
    Can't say I'm a fan of cancelling books that soon. I wonder if it was Wiebe's choice to do this or if Image actually had a say in it? It really alienates your fanbase to cancel something before even the first arc is finished.
    I'd wager if sales are low enough, it's not even covering the production costs, and Image cancel it. Outside of that, the creative team aren't making any money, or projecting to, and can't do months of work for free.

That's my two educated guesses. Sadly, that's how it goes.

Pisces estimated sales were 17K for number 1 down to just under 8.5K for number two. Perhaps the drop for 3's orders was bad enough they decided to stop. I don't know, that's just a guess. I wouldn't expect such a substantial drop between 2 and 3 as 1 and 2, but it can happen.
    Last edited by Joker; 07-16-2015 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    wow, so #3 that just came out is the last issue?

guess at least it saves me some money... Any status on Peter Panzerfaust? It's been stuck on #23 for like 4 or 5 months I think.

Poor Kurtis. It seems all of his books have had some kind of off-panel turmoil...
    From Twitter:
    Why is Peter Panzerfaust 24 & 25 not out yet??? Been waiting patiently for a while now @kurtisjwiebe @Jenkins_Tyler
    Kurtis response: @mikelaneisme @Jenkins_Tyler we haven't made money on the series in a year. It's hard to commit full time hours to something for free.
    Tyler response:
    @mikelaneisme @kurtisjwiebe we will definitely get back to it, deeply sorry everyone has to wait.