Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post

I also feel like you're acting like these decisions are being made lightly.
    No, that certainly is not my message. Sorry if it sounded that way because I know a creator's work is always loved. But we will have to agree to disagree on everything else.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Writers, if they're good and fast and lucky and the issue comes together quickly for them, they can probably pump an issue out in a week, maybe less... I don't know, I'm not a writer and that's going to vary from person to person. (Most writers write several books per month.) But the person drawing the book? It's going to basically take them a month per issue. That's if they're good and fast. That's maybe working 6 days a week, and that's not talking 8 hour office days, either. Artists have to put in the lions share of hours on a comic. I couldn't do that for free for half a year. I have rent to pay and I bet Johnny Christmas does, too. He might have children to feed and other financials we're unaware of.

They might have put in the three months of upfront work they could afford, seen the financial reality of continuing the book (pay out of pocket to publish the rest, but where does that money come from if they've been working for free up to that point?) and had no choice but to cancel it, and take paying work because: adults have financial realities.
    If creators had your attitude and complete disregard for the consumer, their fans, then they'd quickly have none.

Thankfully I have yet to be burned by creators dropping a series mid arc. While I do sympathize with creators, Dorktron does bring up some very valid points especially how a series is an investment for future projects that a creator is working on. I was quite bummed that one of my favorite series Princess Ugg recently wrapped up after 8 issues. It was written/drawn by Ted Naifeh from the brilliant Courtney Crumrin series. Loved the series, great writing/artwork with charming characters that I loved. He mentioned he had much more story to tell but sadly the sales weren't there to continue with the project. That said I'm grateful that it went 8 issues and Ted thought of his buyers and wrapped up the second arc very nicely. That said, from now on if any other future project is solicited by Ted I would anxiously preorder it and snatch it up. I absolutely adore his work and will support him for life. I'm not sure I would feel this way if he just decided to drop a series mid arc with no regards for his readers and fans.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
    If 17,000 sales of a new issue #1 actually equalled a fanbase of 17,000 readers, every single book on the stands right now would be in a much healthier place. The fact is, many issue #1s go to speculators, collectors, multiple copies to a single buyer, good stores that want to keep #1 in stock while the first few issues are finding their audience, etc etc etc.

UMBRAL — which we've had to put on hiatus owing to low sales after two volumes — started out at 16k. If that had been our actual readership, we'd be laughing al the way to bank and making new issues right now. But clearly, that wasn't the case.

Not even finishing the first arc is harsh, no question. But the decision to stop working on a creator-owned book is never an easy one, and I guarantee Kurtis didn't do it lightly.

(This is also why I'm handling THE FUSE, and CODENAME BABOUSHKA, differently; each story is separate-but-linked, rather than a single epic ongoing. So no matter how many arcs we finish, reader won't feel they've been left hanging in the middle of a story)
    I've always been curious about this, but what determines a cover price at Image? I've noticed almost every other indie publisher like Boom, Devil's Due, IDW, Oni Press, Valiant, Zenescope, and recently Dark Horse, pretty much every single issue they put out is 3.99 by default. Fortunately, there's still many 2.99 and 3.50 cover priced comics at Image, but I tend to feel hesitant to pay for an #1 at Image for 3.99, since it may get an Image Firsts re-release in a year or so.

I'm planning on buying Codename Baboushka #1 this October, but I've wondered for some time if creators get to choose cover prices or someone else at Image decides that, and what determines which cover price goes with which comic.

Anyways, I really like that Codename Babouska will be handled in individual story arcs with their own unique sub-titles instead of a single ongoing.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

All-round British person antony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by comicfiend View Post
    Is there an art preview out there for Codename Baboushka?
    Coming this week
    Antony Johnston
    antonyjohnston.com

One way of supporting creators and books early on is via Patreon, the platform is gaining a little more traction in comics community and I think it is one that should be exploited by new comic pros. It gives them a little stability and security while they do what they want, and for the consumer not only do we get to support someone with their dream but the creators often give out a lot of early access and freebies.

Also opposed to the likes of Kickstarter, with Patreon you only pay when the artist/writer/creator delivers, so there are no broken promises.

All-round British person antony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    I've always been curious about this, but what determines a cover price at Image?
    It's a conversation between the creators and publisher. Ultimately the creators have final say, but that's normally made after input and suggestions from Image. A lot of it depends on the book type, the projected audience, current trends, etc etc. There's no one-size-fits-all equation, unfortunately.
    Antony Johnston
    antonyjohnston.com

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    The only book that I've been truly burned on was The Mercenary Sea...the create team kept promising issue 8 was going to come out until they recently announced it was dead. I'm still crushed by that, as it was one of my favorite image books.

I never gave Pisces a second look, but for those who were resent and enjoying it, I'm sorry.
    11055362_10207305600423423_4071130354814792643_o.jpg

If you're feelin' like another gamble, this is coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by comicfiend View Post
    If creators had your attitude and complete disregard for the consumer, their fans, then they'd quickly have none.
    Fans arent' going to just hand you money for nothing so you can pay your rent, or feed your children. It's not about disregard for fans, it's about adult priorities.

It's just fiction. There's plenty of it out there. There's no shortage of things to read in the world. I get that it sucks, I've had books wrap early, or disappear on me, too. But I get that there's actual financial reasons for that, and I don't think that my interest in reading a comic book trumps adult responsibilities and financial realities. I'm also under no illusion that I'm entitled to or owed anything from these people. I pay $3-4 for an issue and our exchange ends there. It's just like how buying issue 1 doesn't obligate me to buy issue 2 or 3. I get the thing I paid for, and that's it.

Creator owned comics boils down to this: they're taking a risk, and you have the choice to take one with them.

I don't really get new singles unless if it is Image issue #1s. Always have to try new series out.

The ones I think I will pick up:
    Black Magick
    Paper Girls

But I may also pick up I Hate Fairyland AFTER a week or two to see how people think about it so that I don't blow my precious money on a bad book.

Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    11055362_10207305600423423_4071130354814792643_o.jpg

If you're feelin' like another gamble, this is coming up.
    Jesus, really? Color me intrigued, but after Mercenary Sea, I feel like this one I should wait to see how it does before I pick it up. So if Mathew Reynolds is writing and drawing this, then what was the hold up with Mercenary Sea? Was it Kel Symons, Reynolds, or sales?

Paper Girls #1
    Switch #1
    Tokyo Ghost #2
    Plutona #2
    The Walking Dead #147
    Saints #1 (Proclaim!)
    Last edited by daningotham; 08-31-2015 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Jesus, really? Color me intrigued, but after Mercenary Sea, I feel like this one I should wait to see how it does before I pick it up. So if Mathew Reynolds is writing and drawing this, then what was the hold up with Mercenary Sea? Was it Kel Symons, Reynolds, or sales?
    There's a quote from Symons at the top of page 5 in this thread off of the Facebook page. Sounds like the book wasn't selling but the whole thing is kinda vague. It is a bit odd that Reynolds is putting together a similar book through Image all on his own. Maybe Kel just wasn't able to write fast enough.

Anybody know what's up with Southern Cross? I see issue #6 is in the solicits for August, but then the trade is out in October but is issues #1-5? I've heard rumors that it is only a 5-6 issue mini series too. Anybody know if this is true?

Quote Originally Posted by daningotham View Post
    Anybody know what's up with Southern Cross? I see issue #6 is in the solicits for August, but then the trade is out in October but is issues #1-5? I've heard rumors that it is only a 5-6 issue mini series too. Anybody know if this is true?
    It was originally intended as a 5-issue mini; its now ongoing