Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Duggan's Nova Feels the Pain of "Original Sin"

Gerry Duggan talks about "Nova's" "Original Sin" tie-in, which finds Sam Alexander dealing with the Watcher's death, financial troubles the Nova Corps' secrets.

Full article here.

I can't get enough Rocket Raccoon. Bring it! I love Nova!

BANNED

Is it just me or is this kid Nova's mother a shoe in for the worst parent on Earth award?

What kind of mom would allow her 15 year old son to go off into space to risk his life?

This to me just doesn't make any damn sense.

BANNED

also:

BRING BACK RICHARD RIDER!!!!!!!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by vaf2675 View Post
    also:

BRING BACK RICHARD RIDER!!!!!!!
    Heh. I think that was implied from your previous silly faux-"concern".

That Nova cover is awesome, btw.

SW
    SW

Its nice to hear there was a personal angle for Duggan on the BRB arc, it came through and it was a very good arc. For the first time under duggan this book has found a direction..art has always been impressive.

Plz dont mess up Riders legacy after all this time..just give the fans our Rich back and lets see where Sam and Rich can go together.

BANNED

Really looking forward to this.
    It's a shame the Watcher is dead, I was really digging their friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by vaf2675 View Post
    Is it just me or is this kid Nova's mother a shoe in for the worst parent on Earth award?

What kind of mom would allow her 15 year old son to go off into space to risk his life?

This to me just doesn't make any damn sense.
    She doesn't, he just keeps disobeying her...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Wacker View Post
    Heh. I think that was implied from your previous silly faux-"concern".

That Nova cover is awesome, btw.

SW
    SW
    Welcome back! I've missed your particular non-pc sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
    Its nice to hear there was a personal angle for Duggan on the BRB arc, it came through and it was a very good arc. For the first time under duggan this book has found a direction..art has always been impressive.

Plz dont mess up Riders legacy after all this time..just give the fans our Rich back and lets see where Sam and Rich can go together.
    Indeed, good on Duggan for putting some heart into this upcoming angle. One wonders what he may have accomplished by now had he been the one to actually start this series from the beginning. Instead the poor guy is left to try and reinvigorate probably the most troubled MARVEL NOW title being published. Heck, maybe the sloppy "I saved Rocket and Gamora 15 years ago" stuff wouldn't even have happened.

The disregard for IMPORTANT continuity like that (yes, continuity IS important to fans, especially SCI-FI/Cosmic fans...just ask any Treker) along with all the inaccuracies pertaining to the NOVA corps made it really hard to follow this book.

For me and for many others I suspect, there were just too many questions swirling around distracting from the actual story being told, a story which really didn't offer anything new as far as teen heroes go. Since it felt like there was really no bridge to the Annihilation era Nova Corps it made me feel that this book just wasn't intended for me, so I dropped out at around issue 6.

I guess they can still retro-fit some of those important connections in (maybe make that Gamora and Rocket from issue #1 imposters for starters) but it seems most readers who were giving it an honest chance gave up on waiting for explanations that made sense and moved on. Good title/bad title, it's all relative, I just know that when a "follow up" title doesn't regard the very recent and very SOLID storytelling efforts that preceded it, stories that I and many others invested years and $$$ into, then it's simply not for us.

Those that wanted a care-free space fairing teen hero unburdened by continuity complete with backward hat and skateboard in tow definitely got their wish, but it's become rather obvious that those who wanted a book like that are an even smaller minority than us Richard Rider fans. This is one case where the "vocal minority" (as we were often referred to, even by Duggan himself) are a larger fanbase than the new "poster boy" they have tried REALLY HARD to sell us on.

Anyway, it was a bad start and all but it IS fixable.
    Hopefully, part of Duggan's plan to fix Sam involve him not alienating the "Core fan base" (as Joe Q. calls us) any further and actually embraces the legacy that this character is supposed to represent. As many have already stated Rich and Sam CAN co-exist...Marvel can afford to eat a little crow here and admit there were a lot of mistakes made on this one. I'd back them all the way if they made Sam the "sidekick" (a dirty word, I know but a good start) to a returning Richard Rider. Change things as much as they need with Sam as long as it serves to strengthen the NOVA franchise as a whole.

I just don't want any NOVA title to end up like "New Mutants/Defenders/Alpha Flight/New Warriors" as series' that are untrusted by retailers and pre-labeled as titles you just know will be canceled before they even begin no matter how awesome the creative teams behind them are.

Quote Originally Posted by Superkreep View Post
    Indeed, good on Duggan for putting some heart into this upcoming angle. One wonders what he may have accomplished by now had he been the one to actually start this series from the beginning. Instead the poor guy is left to try and reinvigorate probably the most troubled MARVEL NOW title being published. Heck, maybe the sloppy "I saved Rocket and Gamora 15 years ago" stuff wouldn't even have happened.

The disregard for IMPORTANT continuity like that (yes, continuity IS important to fans, especially SCI-FI/Cosmic fans...just ask any Treker) along with all the inaccuracies pertaining to the NOVA corps made it really hard to follow this book.

For me and for many others I suspect, there were just too many questions swirling around distracting from the actual story being told, a story which really didn't offer anything new as far as teen heroes go. Since it felt like there was really no bridge to the Annihilation era Nova Corps it made me feel that this book just wasn't intended for me, so I dropped out at around issue 6.

I guess they can still retro-fit some of those important connections in (maybe make that Gamora and Rocket from issue #1 imposters for starters) but it seems most readers who were giving it an honest chance gave up on waiting for explanations that made sense and moved on. Good title/bad title, it's all relative, I just know that when a "follow up" title doesn't regard the very recent and very SOLID storytelling efforts that preceded it, stories that I and many others invested years and $$$ into, then it's simply not for us.

Those that wanted a care-free space fairing teen hero unburdened by continuity complete with backward hat and skateboard in tow definitely got their wish, but it's become rather obvious that those who wanted a book like that are an even smaller minority than us Richard Rider fans. This is one case where the "vocal minority" (as we were often referred to, even by Duggan himself) are a larger fanbase than the new "poster boy" they have tried REALLY HARD to sell us on.

Anyway, it was a bad start and all but it IS fixable.
    Hopefully, part of Duggan's plan to fix Sam involve him not alienating the "Core fan base" (as Joe Q. calls us) any further and actually embraces the legacy that this character is supposed to represent. As many have already stated Rich and Sam CAN co-exist...Marvel can afford to eat a little crow here and admit there were a lot of mistakes made on this one. I'd back them all the way if they made Sam the "sidekick" (a dirty word, I know but a good start) to a returning Richard Rider. Change things as much as they need with Sam as long as it serves to strengthen the NOVA franchise as a whole.

I just don't want any NOVA title to end up like "New Mutants/Defenders/Alpha Flight/New Warriors" as series' that are untrusted by retailers and pre-labeled as titles you just know will be canceled before they even begin no matter how awesome the creative teams behind them are.
    All fair points which I agree with. Marvel shouldnt have disenfranchised the DnA fans...you got to rally your base, not send them packing. Everything they wanted to do creativly could have been accomplished with both old and new readers on board. This is what Giffen/ DnA did and it worked for over 40 issues of Nova comics. THats nearly as impressive a run as ANY book in this day and age...and NOT the template you cast aside. WHile I have come around to this book, it wont pain me when its gone because it was clear why. SOmething like the new New Warriors...that has gotten off to a much stronger story will bother me when it gets canceled. NW is a solid book..withas solid of a NW concept as weve seen since vol 1.

I dont know if marvel will see the writing on the wall of what they did wrong here. They may.It wasnt only DIsenfranchising Rider fans that was at play here....3 creative teams in 10 issues doesnt help either...as it stood the book, even at its worst was just somewhat lackluster...we were not talking about a total stinker like DCs new 52 Firestorm. But they may just as easily write off Nova for awhile...with the Nova Corps in GOTG i do somewhat doubt that.

I think going forward we have had some good characterization of Sam and he will form the basis for more fan acceptance of a Nova Corps...some of these elements were what finally made Green Lantern corps type stuff work better...

I'm just scared/cautious for the next few months/yr of Nova history...I think the MCU is our saving grace right now,

Looks like Duggan got a decent gig from this book and its well deserved...he's a quality writer and I am glad I have stuck on board for his work.
    Last edited by THANOSRULES; 05-20-2014 at 01:26 PM.

I actually really like this Nova series, and it has only gotten better ever since Duggan took over. I can't wait to see why happens with Original Sin and the story involving his father.

Plus, Rocket Raccoon!

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Isn't he supposed to be with the New Warriors now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Isn't he supposed to be with the New Warriors now?
    Yes and he has his own solo.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    So that's the real Original Sin revelation Sam finds?
    I knew i put that in the wrong place!

Spectacular Member

So, I've not read much of new Nova. Is there a reason why Uatu opened up to Nova Jr?