Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Is it just me or is Marvel/Disney making the worst superhero films?

Looking at the trailers for Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad, and then looking over the film slate from Warner. It looks like WB is eating Marvel's lunch in terms of talent.

Joss Whedon is no Zack Snyder. Snyder is one of the greatest visual directors of a generation. Man of Steel was visionary and better than any Marvel film I have seen. He is steering the ship and then you have...
    • David Ayer writing and directing Suicide Squad with an incredible cast.
    • The writers/directors of The Lego Movie writing Flash
    • James Wan directing Aquaman
    • Ben Affleck directing, starring, and co-writing his own Batman film with Geoff Johns.

In comparison Marvel is looking tired and running out of gas. Even Fox films with Apocalypse and Fantastic Four, both are looking more interesting than Marvel's films. Marvel seems to be settling for talent they can tell what to do, rather than drawing big name writers/directors. Is word getting around that Marvel is not a place artists should work for?
    Last edited by randomengine; 07-12-2015 at 06:35 AM.
    Pull List
    Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Wolverine, Uncanny X-Men
    Justice League, Action Comics, Superman, Detective Comics, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg

Incredible Member

It's fine to be tired of Marvel. You can get tired of certain types of films in a while.

But luckily for me, I am looking forward to Ant-Man, Batman vs Superman, Suicide Squad, Civil War.

Win-win for superhero variety.

It may not be JUST you, but it's an extreme minority opinion that I don't share and consider ridiculous.

I mean Scott Derrickson for Doctor Strange and Jon Watts for Spider-Man? Is that the best they can do?
    Pull List
    Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Wolverine, Uncanny X-Men
    Justice League, Action Comics, Superman, Detective Comics, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg

Quote Originally Posted by randomengine View Post
    I mean Scott Derrickson for Doctor Strange and Jon Watts for Spider-Man? Is that the best they can do?
    Like Jon Favreau for Iron Man you mean?

Batman & Robin is the best Batman movie. There, I've said it.

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    Exactly. In terms of direction, the first Iron Man film was not very good. Look at his filmography. It is pretty crap. But that is understandable because at the time superhero films were a big gamble and no one knew if they could work. Now that they are very successful who does Marvel get to direct these films? Nobodies. They had someone with Ant-Man, but they don't want original artists like Edgar Wright. Even Joss Whedon said that was the best script they ever had and Marvel let it and his talent go. All the successful directors they have like the Russo brothers and James Gunn were surprise success stories. I didn't even like Guardians, but a lot of people did. The only Marvel film I really liked was Cap 2 by the Russo brothers.

Whedon won't even make Marvels films for them anymore because of their interference.

I will give James Gunn credit for his writing on Dawn of the Dead, but that also had Zack Snyder at the helm.
    Last edited by randomengine; 07-12-2015 at 06:51 AM.
    Pull List

If Batman doesn't grind down a dinosaur in the new Superman film, I am done with DC movies.

WB is the biggest film studio in Hollywood, it's only naturally they'd attract more reputable directors.

Is it just you that thinks that? No.

Because....

a) the possibility that you alone in the world have a completely unique opinion seems extremely unlikely (as is pretty much always the case whenever anyone starts a thread with "is it just me...", instead of just outright stating an opinion).

and

b) this board regularly provides evidence that other people do indeed believe that the quality of all superhero movies (and TV shows) is the same across the board for each respective company. Ergo, "All DC movies are great and all Marvel movies are bad!!" Or vice versa.

In the meantime, everybody else simply judges each individual movie (and TV show) on it's own merits and their own personal taste. And that's generally after they've actually seen the movie or TV show.

Rather than just a trailer.

Ultimate Member

Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by randomengine View Post
    Exactly.
    Hah. Sarcasm, I think, missed...

What is Marvel thinking, hiring nobodies like Shane Black and Kenneth Branaugh to direct their movies, when they could have Zach 'Owls of Ga'Hoole' Snyder? :/

They're dooommmeddd!

Oh wait, those two directors directed some of their *worst* movies, and it's less known lights like Favreau and James Gunn who have directed some of their best? Weird!

Marvel has made some amazing films, but they have also made some bad ones.

But, I wouldn't go as far as saying that they are making the worst superhero films (I suppose that's subjective. Many folks like GOTG and consider it the best CBM of 2014...I couldn't sit through the entire movie. It was so bad, IMO. Winter Soldier was the best CBM of 2014 and the best Marvel movie to date).

Right now..I can't wait to see what the Russos are doing with Civil War.

Same for Snyder with BvS and Ayer with SS
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    Marvel has made some amazing films, but they have also made some bad ones.

But, I wouldn't go as far as saying that they are making the worst superhero films (I suppose that's subjective. Many folks like GOTG and consider it the best CBM of 2014...I couldn't sit through the entire movie. It was so bad, IMO. Winter Soldier was the best CBM of 2014 and the best Marvel movie to date).

Right now..I can't wait to see what the Russos are doing with Civil War.

Same for Snyder with BvS and Ayer with SS
    Now you are on my wavelength.
    Pull List

Mighty Member

Marvel films aren't "tired" or "out of gas".

what you probably resent is that Marvel is jealously guarding it's brand and making sure all of the movies are on the same page and don't break down the "shared continuity". this is a big deal for a lot of Marvel fans and comic book fans in general.

while this helps stave off disasters like the "Ghost Rider" or "Elektra" films it also prevents most Marvel films from being truly unique and exciting. audiences know what they're going to get-- and that Marvel isn't going to take any risks or change their style. now, for a lot of people this is proof that Marvel is better-- but for others it just renders it boring.

I personally loathe Zach Snyder's approach to story-telling-- but he IS a very stylish director. I watched "Man of Steel" because I had hoped with Nolan on as producer, to act as an anti-dote to Snyder's stylistic excesses, that we'd get a more balanced and narrative-focused film from Snyder. and that didn't quite turn out to be true. it wasn't the two-hour music video with slow-motion punches and fist-fights... but it was still an off-target rendering of Superman.

as bland as Marvel films have become they are not the worst superhero films out there. go back and watch "Elektra", "Catwoman" or "the Fantastic Four" films and then watch "Iron Man", "Thor", or "the Avengers". as a general rule Marvel-based films are better now than they were... they just don't have much "personality" now that everything has to be in a shared universe.

Ultimate Member

I'm glad the thread starter stated its his opinion but it sounds like someone is over excited by Comicon.

There's always a minority number of people that don't like stuff no matter how good. That's just the way of the world .

A few years ago, Marvel pretty much laid the foundation for the shared superhero universe that so many studios are now scrambling to create. Granted those studios might end up doing it better it's colossal hyperbole to dub a movie good (or bad) before even seeing it.

But to say that Marvel/Disney despite solid critical reviews (from some critics who have actually worked on movies) and strong audience reception are the worst is a colossal oversimplification in my opinion. I mean...c'mon son..