Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Marvel's "Ant-Man" Attempts to Shrink Universal's "Minions" at the Box Office

"Ant-Man" is estimated to pull in $115-$125 million at the box office this weekend -- but "Minions" will challenge Marvel's newest super hero.

Full article here.

All-New Member

Where are you getting these numbers? The 115-120 million figure is for the global opening, the lower (60 million) figure is the domestic estimate. Thor opened to 65 million (domestic). International openings are not comparable because movies open in different arrays of countries.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 07-14-2015 at 04:56 PM. Reason: rude

Spoiler alert:

Ant-Man is gonna get creamed by Minions. Just totally creamed.

Fantastic Member

sorry but i dont see this happening. i plan to watch antman and dont plan to watch minions but i doubt antman would be able to trump the pulling power of minions

Ant Man deserves a $100 million opening. The minions have already had theirs. Conversely, Marvel should look into the Leader's Humanoids for a kids-comedy film.

There is no shame in losing to Minions. Any movie would have trouble. It's a popular animated franchise. It's a movie you can take the kids to, and no one is going to be pissed that there are kids there. You can't compete with that ****.

I wonder where they are getting these estimates. If that range is domestic, basically Deadline is saying that the movie could estimate more in it's opening weekend than other superhero movies like The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy and Amazing Spider-Man 2 .
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

All-New Member

Aside from completely confusing domestic and overseas numbers, this article doesn't offer any realistic idea of what Minions' dropoff might be - it is expected to do in the high 50s to low 60s.

Ultimate Member

I think the opening they're talking about here is globally.

Ant-man isn't going to open near 100M.

No way.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Ant Man deserves a $100 million opening. The minions have already had theirs. Conversely, Marvel should look into the Leader's Humanoids for a kids-comedy film.
    How does Ant-Man deserve a $100 million opening?

Ant Man is currently tracking for a $55-65 million domestic opening. The $115-120 figure is the worldwide number. Hard to say if it will be Minions or not. It should be neck-and-neck. In related news, in 2015 Universal has now released Minions, Jurrasic World, Furious 7, and 50 Shades of Gray. I hear that CEO Steve Burke is secretly building his own private moon base with the profits.

Astonishing Member

I actually hope it has a great opening weekend, better than expected and I want the same for FF, just because it seems the majority want both movies to bomb at the box office.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I actually hope it has a great opening weekend, better than expected and I want the same for FF, just because it seems the majority want both movies to bomb at the box office.
    Haven't heard anyone wanting Ant-man to bomb, FF though....I have heard but usually because they hope Fox would then give it back to Marvel.

Gaurdians had a 95 million opening here and about 160 globally.

I think Ant-man will surprise a bit with about 80 Million and 125ish globally. Which is a fair bit above it's projection.

i wonder if antman is going to underperform? i know its going to do good but i think its going to be the MCU's lowest grossing movie or maybe 2ed lowest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluekey View Post
    Haven't heard anyone wanting Ant-man to bomb, FF though....I have heard but usually because they hope Fox would then give it back to Marvel.
    i think in the long run FF is going to outdo antman.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Ant-Man is strange. Many non-nerds I know have expressed interest in the movie, people who are not normally the type to want to go see super hero movies in theaters.

It sucks that Ant-Man will have to compete with Minions. There are a lot of kids who still want/need to see that movie and very few families can afford or desire to go to the theater twice in one weekend.

Still, I think Ant-man will do well. Not amazing but good, solid numbers.