Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default The Sad Death of the Hobgoblin

In their latest look at "bad" comic fights, CSBG revisits the disappointing death of Spidey foe Hobgoblin, which was thankfully later retconned.

Full article here.

Mighty Member

So was Spider-man and Wolverine set after Amazing 289

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    So was Spider-man and Wolverine set after Amazing 289
    It was set between ASM 288 and 289, although it was released a few months earlier.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

Then I Don't understand sometine if the One-shot was set Before Amazing 289.Ned dies in the One-shot but was Alive and beaten down in 289

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I thought this article was going to cover Macendale's Death when I first read the title. Now that is a death that made zero sense. He was a merc that had Kraven's Strength and cybernetic enhancements. How in the world was Ned able to kill him?

BANNED

I'm curious if this can really be considered a retcon.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I thought this article was going to cover Macendale's Death when I first read the title. Now that is a death that made zero sense. He was a merc that had Kraven's Strength and cybernetic enhancements. How in the world was Ned able to kill him?
    Ned didn't kill him. Roderick Kingsley, the original Hobgoblin, did. And how could Roddy kill him? Jason was in a cage, and besides, Kingsley is awesone, while Macendale just isn't.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    I'm curious if this can really be considered a retcon.
    Except it WAS a retcon, inasmuch that readers were led to believe that the real Hobgoblin was killed, and it turned out not to be the real deal. That's something Roger Stern had to come back and write.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse View Post
    Ned didn't kill him. Roderick Kingsley, the original Hobgoblin, did. And how could Roddy kill him? Jason was in a cage, and besides, Kingsley is awesone, while Macendale just isn't.
    Which is why it was laughable that someone like Phil Urich would be able to kill Kingsley during the "Big Time" run. That was also undone--I don't think we've still ever gotten an explanation why Kingley's brother was in the suit at the time, though.

Finding a destination in the infinite multiverse

I think they just wanted to remove Ned from the book.. he was always a liability anyways.
    Note: This person is a Peter Parker, Hank Pym, Bruce Banner, Reed Richards and James Howlett fanboy, used to be a Steve Rogers fanboy before he turned grumpy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    Except it WAS a retcon, inasmuch that readers were led to believe that the real Hobgoblin was killed, and it turned out not to be the real deal. That's something Roger Stern had to come back and write.

Which is why it was laughable that someone like Phil Urich would be able to kill Kingsley during the "Big Time" run. That was also undone--I don't think we've still ever gotten an explanation why Kingley's brother was in the suit at the time, though.
    I don't think that was undone. I think it was Slott's plan all along to fool us into thinking it was Roddy who died.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubhavkumarc View Post
    I think they just wanted to remove Ned from the book.. he was always a liability anyways.
    Ned getting killed off wasn't originally tied to the Hobgoblin. Peter David figured that it would be unexpected to reveal that the supervillain's secret identity was that guy who had been killed off.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Just stopped by to remind y'all how much I hated "Hobgoblin Lives" and the Roderick Kingsley reveal. Thank you for your time––I'll go spread my negativity elsewhere.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

Oh? I liked Hobgoblin Lives, and I Think it was only fair that Roger Stern got to say who he intended Hobgoblin to be.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse View Post
    Oh? I liked Hobgoblin Lives, and I Think it was only fair that Roger Stern got to say who he intended Hobgoblin to be.
    Even if it was Anderson Cooper's somehow LESS intimidating doppelganger?
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

I don't know who Anderson Cooper is, but I mean, if Kal-El can play a goofy and meek Clark Kent, why can't Roderick Kingsley hide his ruthless nature?