All-New Member

Question Where should I start reading Batman Beyond?

I want to get into Batman Beyond, and I want to see him before Tim Drake took up the Batman Beyond mantle. From my research, I can see that there are 6 Volumes of Batman Beyond total, as well as an Animated Series as well as other things. What should I read as an introduction to Terry McGinnis as Batman Beyond?

BONUS: Are there any collected editions or some way of finding these comics cheaper than buying them all individually?

Thanks for your help!

All of the previous Batman Beyond stuff (by Adam Beechen, Kyle Higgins, etc) is based on the animated series. They should all be collected in trades. This new series starring Tim Drake is a completely different universe, and is a continuation from the weekly series "The New 52: Futures End", which features a different Terry.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RuneInfantry View Post
    I want to get into Batman Beyond, and I want to see him before Tim Drake took up the Batman Beyond mantle. From my research, I can see that there are 6 Volumes of Batman Beyond total, as well as an Animated Series as well as other things. What should I read as an introduction to Terry McGinnis as Batman Beyond?

BONUS: Are there any collected editions or some way of finding these comics cheaper than buying them all individually?

Thanks for your help!
    They're all available on comixology pretty cheap so I'd just start at the beginning with the adaptation of the cartoon pilot...or just watch the cartoon pilot itself and pick and choose where you go from there.
    From the first volume my favorite was issue #4 that featured Etrigan the Demon.
    Volume 2: the first issue is awesome and it features Bruce vs. Terry, Issue 13 is a great team up story between Terry and Barbara Gordon, 14 is another story with Etrigan, and 21 is a two parter that features the Justice League and the first appearance of the Black Lantern.
    And from there on I'd just pick it up and read it straight through.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    All of the previous Batman Beyond stuff (by Adam Beechen, Kyle Higgins, etc) is based on the animated series. They should all be collected in trades. This new series starring Tim Drake is a completely different universe, and is a continuation from the weekly series "The New 52: Futures End", which features a different Terry.
    Does "The New 52: Futures End" star Terry? Who is the main character in that series?

He's one of the main characters. It's a weekly series that follows several different perspectives.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    He's one of the main characters. It's a weekly series that follows several different perspectives.
    Yup, this is correct. He's also one of the only characters to have a full plot arc (beginning, middle, and end) in Futures End.

It's not a terrible series, but the ending can be really aggravating. It's like a TV show that was cancelled prematurely; two plots got spinoffs (Convergence and Batman Beyond) but everything else got left hanging.
    Pull list (issues or trades):
    DC Batman Batgirl Bizarro Dr. Fate Superman
    Vertigo Sandman Fables Astro City Vertigo Quarterly
    Marvel Miracleman Thors Ms. Marvel
    Other Lazarus Buffy Angel & Faith Saga

''I shall become a bat.'' masahikotahara's Avatar
    Visit my website: http://ultimatebatmancomicswebsite.weebly.com for a timeline of Batman comics from Batman: Year One to Flashpoint,
    The New 52 and Rebirth!

CANON! CHRONOLOGY! READING ORDER!

...AND MORE...

If you're completely new to the character, you should definitely start with the original animated series! The last time I checked, it was available in it's entirety on Netflix. It's been awhile though so don't hold me to it. Also don't miss out on the brilliant animated movie, Return of the Joker. I consider it one of the real gems of the Timm/Dini era, and it goes to a very dark place considering the target audience.

As for the comics, the quality fluctuates often IMO. The two stories I would recommend both take place after the animated series: "Hush Beyond" and "10,000 Clowns." They're both set in the same continuity as the show. Kyle Higgins' "Batman Beyond 2.0" run was pretty fun, but I'd recommend spending some time with the aforementioned stuff before jumping into that for the sake of context.