View Poll Results: Which Favorite Version of the Character?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre-Crisis (Shayera Hol)

62 62.63%
  • Hawkworld (Shayera Thal II)

28 28.28%
  • New 52 (Princess Shayera

9 9.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Default Hawkwoman Appreciation

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last CBR needed one of these, so what better time to start one than now!
    This thread is for the appreciation of Hawkwoman (Shayera Thal-Hol) known sometimes as Hawkgirl.

As of lately, she hasn't been seen since her supposed death in Savage Hawkman, but there have been some indications that we will see her again.

Love Shayera. Pretty much any interpretation of her, too. That said, I'll never figure out why Hawkworld Shayera was so utterly wasted by DC.

What a great reinvention of the character. As strong as she'd ever been portrayed as being, and completely detached of any similar-themed character with the word "man" in his name. Animated Shayera is obviously the most recognizable interpretation of Hawkgirl ever, and yet DC chose to kill her comic book counterpart off amidst the height of her popularity. Not that Kendra wasn't great, too; she was. I just didn't understand the methodology involved with Shayera's death.

Anyhoo, like you, Mr. Mermaid, I'm also hoping Shayera is re-reintroduced to The New 52 soon. She went out on somewhat of a high note, but bringing her into the universe to ultimately kill her off a handful of issues later seems like another huge waste of the character. And for the love of Kalmoran, could we please do something about that hair color?

Look, I'm all for diversity, but changing the color of Shayera's locks is a travesty. I mean, really? A blonde? And I'm a blonde myself, so I can say that.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Oh thank you for making this thread! Yes you're right they needed a Hawkwoman/Hawkgirl thread

Hawkman, where did you get that first picture? I've never seen it before. I like that her top resembles Hawkman's harness--it could be used as inspiration for a new costume if she returns anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliltron View Post
    Oh thank you for making this thread! Yes you're right they needed a Hawkwoman/Hawkgirl thread
    The appropriate time presented itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Love Shayera. Pretty much any interpretation of her, too. That said, I'll never figure out why Hawkworld Shayera was so utterly wasted by DC.

What a great reinvention of the character. As strong as she'd ever been portrayed as being, and completely detached of any similar-themed character with the word "man" in his name. Animated Shayera is obviously the most recognizable interpretation of Hawkgirl ever, and yet DC chose to kill her comic book counterpart off amidst the height of her popularity. Not that Kendra wasn't great, too; she was. I just didn't understand the methodology involved with Shayera's death.
    I'll never understand that either. She had a pretty cool direction taking Byth off to Thanagar that could have been used for a miniseries or something. They had the perfect opportunity to cash in on the success of the animated version, but opt to kill her off to promote Kendra (this is my assumption). I believe I've even said on your blog that my biggest problem with Kendra is her stifling Shayera's potential. That being said, I'm glad they have Hawkgirl on Earth-2 for fans to enjoy.

Anyhoo, like you, Mr. Mermaid, I'm also hoping Shayera is re-reintroduced to The New 52 soon. She went out on somewhat of a high note, but bringing her into the universe to ultimately kill her off a handful of issues later seems like another huge waste of the character. And for the love of Kalmoran, could we please do something about that hair color?

Look, I'm all for diversity, but changing the color of Shayera's locks is a travesty. I mean, really? A blonde? And I'm a blonde myself, so I can say that.
    I'm going to continue keeping my hopes up for Jeff Lemire bringing her back, but if nothing else I'm glad he's going to promote Hawkman in general.

And yes, they've got to do something about that hair. Wasn't she a redhead in Savage Hawkman #9? There was no reason for her to go blonde. She must've stumbled into some bad lighting throughout that arc.
    Last edited by The_Greatest_Username; 05-01-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Here's a piece that grabs me every time I look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mermaid View Post
    Hawkman, where did you get that first picture? I've never seen it before. I like that her top resembles Hawkman's harness--it could be used as inspiration for a new costume if she returns anytime soon.
    It's by an illustrator by the name of Tim Switalski. I found it through a Google search a couple of months ago when I was looking for some pictures for my "Picture of the Week" feature on my blog. And I agree: it really is a striking interpretation of the character.

And yes, they've got to do something about that hair. Wasn't she a redhead in Savage Hawkman #9? There was no reason for her to go blonde. She must've stumbled into some bad lighting throughout that arc.
    Yep, she was definitely a red-head when she first popped up.

Did an article about in on my blog early last year, in fact.

I think DC must've suggested the hair color be changed to further differentiate her from Kendra over in Earth 2. As if the hair alone was going to be a cause of confusion, but that's honestly the best I can come up with.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Here's some image dumping in the name of appreciation.

By the way, what did everyone think of Shayera's (and Katar's for that matter) in the Young Justice series?
    I thought it was an interesting take on the character and a bit more feminine than some of her looks. I wish we would've seen more of her on the show before it got cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
    Here's a piece that grabs me every time I look at it.
    The Hawks always make for a nice visual.

I think DC must've suggested the hair color be changed to further differentiate her from Kendra over in Earth 2. As if the hair alone was going to be a cause of confusion, but that's honestly the best I can come up with.
    I'm sure having a different [apparent] race and colored costume isn't enough to differentiate female characters these days. I mean, there seems to be little confusion over the 4 dark haired, white male Robins, but whatever.
    Let's just hope DC gets it together sometime soon with Shayera.

BANNED

By the way, what did everyone think of Shayera's (and Katar's for that matter) in the Young Justice series?
    I thought it was an interesting take on the character and a bit more feminine than some of her looks. I wish we would've seen more of her on the show before it got cancelled.

The Hawks always make for a nice visual.
    Agreed about the Hawks having a strong visual element.

Not sure about her YJ look: her wings, helmet and top looks awesome but the bottom half doesn't go with the every thing else. Why would a flying heroine wear a skirt? Supergirl is the only exception to this rule especially when she is shown to be wearing biker shorts underneath whenever Jamal Igle draws her.

The YJ look is actually a great look. Just get rid of the skirt and draw something that goes better with the top half of her costume.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Greatest_Username View Post
    This is the version of Hawkgirl I like best the one from the old Justice League Animated series. The character was never more engaging than in those stories, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

This. Shayera Thal deserved a chance to fly on her own.

The hair color isn't very high on my list of what's wrong with that look. I prefer the personality of Shayera Thal; and frankly, she wouldn't have been caught dead in an outfit like that; it clashes too much with her practicality and professional demeanor.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

I've said this elsewhere, but I think Shayera's odds are much greater than Katar's when it comes to making it to the big screen. I doubt either of them will be in the first Justice League film, but I'd bank on at least Hawkgirl appearing in the second.
    I think DCCU sort of has to add another female character to the League by the second movie, and Hawkgirl seems like an obvious choice since you're already going to have a section of the audience expecting her regardless.

For a second there, I thought that was a picture of my house.

Seriously, though, I already love her enthusiasm.
    I love how quickly she jumped into reading up on her character. I still need to get that bombshell statue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    This. Shayera Thal deserved a chance to fly on her own.
    I'm hoping that the double inclusion of Shayera in Convergence is an indicator that DC is going to give her a chance again.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Can we use this thread to talk about Earth 2 Hawkgirl Kendra? Or is this only a thread for Hawkwoman?
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

I encourage all Hawkwoman (and Hawkman) fans to pick up Nightwing/Oracle tomorrow. I know she's not the star of the book, but I think if both Convergence books she appears in are well received and sell well, it will encourage DC to bring her back during their next series of title launches.

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    Can we use this thread to talk about Earth 2 Hawkgirl Kendra? Or is this only a thread for Hawkwoman?
    While I did make this thread to talk specifically for talking about Shayera, I don't think it's my place to discourage any sort of Hawkgirl discussion, so feel free to.

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

The last CBR needed one of these, so what better time to start one than now!
    This thread is for the appreciation of Hawkwoman (Shayera Thal-Hol) known sometimes as Hawkgirl.

As of lately, she hasn't been seen since her supposed death in Savage Hawkman, but there have been some indications that we will see her again.
    I thought she died during the Infinite Crisis?