View Poll Results: Which Favorite Version of the Character?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre-Crisis (Shayera Hol)

62 62.63%
  • Hawkworld (Shayera Thal II)

28 28.28%
  • New 52 (Princess Shayera

9 9.09%
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Hawkgirl was my second favorite JLU member. Batman is of course #1.

Maria Canals did an amazing job. I love the screams she did whenever Hawkgirl went into her rampage mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLv8ceDcfXk

http://youtu.be/BLv8ceDcfXk
    Agreed. Those screams were pure gold.

As for the character, I must have seen her for the first time during the summer of '76 in an issue of Justice League of America. I was very happy when she came a full time member of the JLA a few years later.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Well, my fantasy casting for Shayera is Noomi Rapace.

http://www.thinkhero.com/wp-content/...pace-image.jpg

http://cdn.mos.totalfilm.com/images/...709-470-75.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_gZxvCHbYjP...mi-rapace2.jpg

http://www.picturesgoogle.com/wp-con...02/noomi_9.jpg

She has the looks to play both the GA Hawkgirl and the SA Hawkgirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Is View Post
    Thats what happened to me. Hawkgirl was tied for my favourite character in that series (with John Stewart and The Question) and made me a fan of that character.
    Yeah, DC kind of fucked it up but I've heard from other sources that they wanted Hawkgirl to fail so they can say; "Oh yeah, we tried it with female ongoings but see, it failed!" . In comics, yes, Kendra has more exposure but if you are trying to draw in new readers, you need to go with Shayera.

Quote Originally Posted by red winter View Post
    I thought she died during the Infinite Crisis?
    This is the Nu 52 so that stuff doesn't apply. Hawkwoman has yet to make a full debut here.

Pre-Nu 52 however, there were multiple Hawkwomen. The alien police officer version which was used on JLU but in the comics was killed off in IC. The reincarnated Egyptian Queen and WW2 hero named Shiera Hall. Then Kendra Saunders who was the niece of the latter version: her origin story consists of her committing suicide but her aunt's soul enters her body as she died but with none of her memories so she is Shiera in soul but Kendra in mind. Shiera was restored in Blackest Night but then died in Brightest Day but was brought back in the same series then kind of sorta killed off again by literally becoming the wind.

And that's still the least weirdest thing in Hawk continuity.

. . . This is the Nu 52 so that stuff doesn't apply. Hawkwoman has yet to make a full debut here.

Pre-Nu 52 however, there were multiple Hawkwomen. The alien police officer version which was used on JLU but in the comics was killed off in IC. The reincarnated Egyptian Queen and WW2 hero named Shiera Hall. Then Kendra Saunders who was the niece of the latter version: her origin story consists of her committing suicide but her aunt's soul enters her body as she died but with none of her memories so she is Shiera in soul but Kendra in mind. Shiera was restored in Blackest Night but then died in Brightest Day but was brought back in the same series then kind of sorta killed off again by literally becoming the wind.

And that's still the least weirdest thing in Hawk continuity.
    Yeah . . . let's not even touch what Zero Hour did to all the Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post

As for the character, I must have seen her for the first time during the summer of '76 in an issue of Justice League of America. I was very happy when she came a full time member of the JLA a few years later.
    Ah sorry. Didn't see your reply.

I wish she was on one of the JL rosters. What's Hawkman up to these days? I'd like to see Hawkwoman developed independently from her partner. Like Hawkman on one team and Hawkwoman on another.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Yeah . . . let's not even touch what Zero Hour did to all the Hawks!
    Egads!

Yeah, I remember that. Though I wasn't around when it first came out I did plenty of research on DC continuity. I'd say the Golden Eagle had it the worst, the guy hasn't been seen in years. The only good thing to come out of Hawkman being radioactive was Morrison creating Zauriel for JLA when he couldn't use Hawkman.

Mr. Dwayne McDuffie would have had her with John. So they killed her off sad

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

This is the Nu 52 so that stuff doesn't apply. Hawkwoman has yet to make a full debut here.
    Well actually she has made her New 52 debut. Unfortunately, it was as a misguided villain (not a very good one at that). I won't give any spoilers but by the time she turned to the side of Hawkman, it was to sacrifice herself to save the day--so she's "dead" again.

Jeff Lemire is going to be developing the Thanagarians in Justice League United so it's entirely possible for us to see Shayera again. It would be fantastic for her to join the team if she shows up again.

There has been a Hawkgirl in Earth 2 . . .

. . . but she's not getting a whole lot of action at the moment.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyWJR6XHKsY

I love this scream. She really sold the shock/panic/grief extremely well.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStorm View Post
    Mr. Dwayne McDuffie would have had her with John. So they killed her off sad
    Shayera was killed off long before McDuffie took over the JLA title.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mermaid View Post
    Well actually she has made her New 52 debut. Unfortunately, it was as a misguided villain (not a very good one at that). I won't give any spoilers but by the time she turned to the side of Hawkman, it was to sacrifice herself to save the day--so she's "dead" again.

Jeff Lemire is going to be developing the Thanagarians in Justice League United so it's entirely possible for us to see Shayera again. It would be fantastic for her to join the team if she shows up again.
    Hence why I said 'full debut' since I know she has appeared in the title but not what happened to her. I thought her appearance was a cameo but they brought back as a villain and killer her off. SMDH

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    There has been a Hawkgirl in Earth 2 . . .

. . . but she's not getting a whole lot of action at the moment.
    I forgot about her. But I usually try to block Earth 2 out of my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyWJR6XHKsY

I love this scream. She really sold the shock/panic/grief extremely well.
    Not....the kind of screams we were talking about but that is a nice moment.

I still remember being a teenager on the cusp of puberty when I watched that episode and I was like 'holy ****!' when I saw her face for the first time.

Boy is this place dead.

All the following images are from deviantart.

By marciotakara

By guinnessyde

By batchix

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Hawkgirl is awesome and I hope she shows up in the cinematic DCU! Shes the 2nd most notorious female JL'er after all

I do as well. She's already established some recognizability with the general public through the cartoon and video games. It would be a shame for that to go to waste. On top of that, I'll absolutely hate for the Justice League film to be a total sausage-fest with Wonder Woman as the only woman. It is 2014 after all.

On a side note, I think a Hawkworld film could work.

I miss Shayera, always loved the Hawkman-Hawkwoman relationship. I miss the connection that they had, got my hopes up when they finally revived Shayera with her memories at the end of 'Blackest Night' and into 'Brightest Day.' That Johns (and DC editorial) can be such a tease!

Always loved her BIG circle earings, along with her fiery red hair. Remember the Action Comics team-up with Supermanin back during the John Byrne days, that was a good issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    Always loved her BIG circle earings, along with her fiery red hair. Remember the Action Comics team-up with Supermanin back during the John Byrne days, that was a good issue.
    I loved that issue. Byrne draws a fantastic Shayera and she was plenty kick-ass for that issue. Fun fact about the earrings: they're the Thanagarian equivalent of an engagement ring.