View Poll Results: Which Favorite Version of the Character?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre-Crisis (Shayera Hol)

62 62.63%
  • Hawkworld (Shayera Thal II)

28 28.28%
  • New 52 (Princess Shayera

9 9.09%
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Shayera (Hawkworld) Thal was/is my favorite Hawkwoman. I'm also holding out for a return under Lemire's pen in the pages of JLU, but am trying not to get my hopes too high.

RE: "Zero Hour" - it may have ultimately sealed Katar's fate, but I really loved what Messner-Loebs did with the Hawks (especially Shayera!) at the time it was happening.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

I am ready to see Shayera again!

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Some great Hawkwoman cosplays I found.

By Kira Koutoure:

By PaisleyandGlue:

Fantastic Member

I love the various version of Hawkgirl/Hawkwoman but in the end I don't think DC knew what they were doing with any of the characters. We had the golden age Hawkgirl and the Shayara Thol version and then the Kendra version. They kept on mish mashing them all together it seemed like. The same goes with Hawkman.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapparition View Post
    I love the various version of Hawkgirl/Hawkwoman but in the end I don't think DC knew what they were doing with any of the characters. We had the golden age Hawkgirl and the Shayara Thol version and then the Kendra version. They kept on mish mashing them all together it seemed like. The same goes with Hawkman.
    The Hawks were fine Post Crisis, it was only when DC insisted that Hawkworld 2 take place in the then-modern day DCU that things started going off the rails. Then the subsequent attempts to fix the situation only kept making it worse.

BANNED

I love Hawkwoman in JL cartoon series.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The Hawks were fine Post Crisis, it was only when DC insisted that Hawkworld 2 take place in the then-modern day DCU that things started going off the rails. Then the subsequent attempts to fix the situation only kept making it worse.

It certainly doesn't help matters that even with a clear reboot, they can't make up their minds on the Hawks.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    I love Hawkwoman in JL cartoon series.
    She was easily one of the best characters on that show. I don't think any character benefited from being on the show more than her. That being said, it helped Kendra moreso than Shayera. (not something I was happy about)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mermaid View Post
    It certainly doesn't help matters that even with a clear reboot, they can't make up their minds on the Hawks.

She was easily one of the best characters on that show. I don't think any character benefited from being on the show more than her. That being said, it helped Kendra moreso than Shayera. (not something I was happy about)
    Not to mention despite Shayera being more well known due to the cartoon, they still haven't been giving her the push.

Agreed. She was my #2 favorite character on the show, #1 being Batman of course.

How did it help Kendra though? As I mentioned a few pages back, they tried to give Kendra an ongoing post OYL to ride on the cartoon's popularity of the cartoon but it was short lived because of how different Kendra and Shayera are. Besides, I don't think Kendra ever really hit it big as a character during the Pre- Nu52 era.

Not to mention despite Shayera being more well known due to the cartoon, they still haven't been giving her the push.
    Now, that's an absolute crime, and something that makes 0 sense. It's almost unbelievable how wrong they keep getting things when that excellent interpretation -the most famous and beloved one- has been sitting right in front of them for years and years. They had a totally clean slate to bring her in as the Hawkgirl of the New 52, without any sort of continuity baggage, and lo and behold, DC screws up again. It's sad to see them keep failing and making dumb decisions when the right answer is so simple and when I actually want them to succeed with the character so much.

Sometimes I believe the writers and editors of DC Comics are completely out of touch with how people see their characters and what people want to see from their characters. I believe some of them are living in their own weird bubble apart from normal people.
    Last edited by Desh; 06-10-2014 at 02:50 AM.

How did it help Kendra though? As I mentioned a few pages back, they tried to give Kendra an ongoing post OYL to ride on the cartoon's popularity of the cartoon but it was short lived because of how different Kendra and Shayera are. Besides, I don't think Kendra ever really hit it big as a character during the Pre- Nu52 era.

Kendra got to be a member of the Justice League, she was in a video game, and got a short lived series because of the popularity of the "Hawkgirl" character. That being said, no Kendra never seemed to catch on.
    To be perfectly honest the reason I specified this as a "Hawkwoman thread is because I wanted to focus on Shayera in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Now, that's an absolute crime, and something that makes 0 sense. It's almost unbelievable how wrong they keep getting things when that excellent interpretation -the most famous and beloved one- has been sitting right in front of them for years and years. They had a totally clean slate to bring her in as the Hawkgirl of the New 52, without any sort of continuity baggage, and lo and behold, DC screws up again. It's sad to see them keep failing and making dumb decisions when the right answer is so simple and when I actually want them to succeed with the character so much.

Sometimes I believe the writers and editors of DC Comics are completely out of touch with how people see their characters and what people want to see from their characters. I believe some of them are living in their own weird bubble apart from normal people.
    I don't understand why DC is so reluctant to do anything with the character. She's a classic and has had plenty of exposure in the outside media, but all of that seems irrelevant when it comes to giving the fans what they want.
    I'm hoping Lemire brings her back to the Justice League proper.

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post

I think the 'problem' with DC has been obvious for some time now; they want to bring back a specific era of comics but at the same time make it darker and grittier. However, times have changed and going back just feels like the universe fighting against itself.

Then you have customers like us on the sidelines who get paid lip service at best but as usual are kept waiting in the line.

Kendra got to be a member of the Justice League, she was in a video game, and got a short lived series because of the popularity of the "Hawkgirl" character. That being said, no Kendra never seemed to catch on.
    To be perfectly honest the reason I specified this as a "Hawkwoman thread is because I wanted to focus on Shayera in particular.

I don't understand why DC is so reluctant to do anything with the character. She's a classic and has had plenty of exposure in the outside media, but all of that seems irrelevant when it comes to giving the fans what they want.
    I'm hoping Lemire brings her back to the Justice League proper.
    True but my point is that Kendra may have been in those tnever caught on. It's DC's fault for killing off Shayera in the Rann/Thanagar war and then thinking that the two Hawkgirl's are interchangeable.

I think one mark against Shayera is that she is the wife of Hawkman and are basically partners in their book. During the Brightest Day even they basically turned Shiera into the wind just to give Hawkman more angst.

Furthermore, they seem to want to push Hawkman instead and make him 'happen'.

By PaisleyandGlue:

I'd seen the other two before, but that one is absolutely fantastic. Some of those Injustice character designs were very clever, and that cosplay of it is brilliant.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Random comment, but Hawkman, I love the random art pic on your blog.

True but my point is that Kendra may have been in those tnever caught on. It's DC's fault for killing off Shayera in the Rann/Thanagar war and then thinking that the two Hawkgirl's are interchangeable.

I think one mark against Shayera is that she is the wife of Hawkman and are basically partners in their book. During the Brightest Day even they basically turned Shiera into the wind just to give Hawkman more angst.
    I don't exactly disagree with your first point. I think we were just misunderstanding each other.

On the second, I actually think Hawkman and Hawkwoman as partners is something that should theoretically strengthen the two characters. Aquaman never seems hurt by teaming up with Mera on his adventures. It comes down to them being written as equals which, in my opinion, is something DC has at least managed to do since the Silver Age. I mean, yes, there will always be misrepresentations of women to be found in older comics, but Hawkgirl was still light-years ahead of some of the shrinking violets (who I will not name) that can be found "gracing" the older comics. She could solve crimes and throw punches with the best of them, and she had her own opinions that she shared. I feel like I'm digressing here...

I wish I had some scans, but I only have those stories in the Showcase editions which won't show up well at all.

On the second, I actually think Hawkman and Hawkwoman as partners is something that should theoretically strengthen the two characters. Aquaman never seems hurt by teaming up with Mera on his adventures. It comes down to them being written as equals which, in my opinion, is something DC has at least managed to do since the Silver Age. I mean, yes, there will always be misrepresentations of women to be found in older comics, but Hawkgirl was still light-years ahead of some of the shrinking violets (who I will not name) that can be found "gracing" the older comics. She could solve crimes and throw punches with the best of them, and she had her own opinions that she shared. I feel like I'm digressing here...

I wish I had some scans, but I only have those stories in the Showcase editions which won't show up well at all.
    I wasn't being clear there, I meant that I believe that DC's current edict against marriage is what's holding back Shayera. Aquaman/Mera and Animal Man being the only exceptions to the rule.