View Poll Results: Which Favorite Version of the Character?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre-Crisis (Shayera Hol)

62 62.63%
  • Hawkworld (Shayera Thal II)

28 28.28%
  • New 52 (Princess Shayera

9 9.09%
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

So, Hawkworld Annual #1 is probably my favorite so far. Shayera managed to punch out two classic DC heroes.

Also, new Hawkgirl merchandise!
    http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2014/07...bruary-2015#29
    Hawkgirl will be getting a statue for her bombshell variant and...it's Shayera, not Kendra!

I'm very happy about this.

DC COMICS BOMBSHELLS HAWKGIRL STATUE
    DESIGNED BY ANT LUCIA
    SCULPTED BY TIM MILLER
    Get ready to blast into space with this stunningly stylized statue of the high-flying heroine Hawkgirl based on the popular pinup style of the 1940s and 50s.
    Limited Edition of 5,200
    Measures Approximately 10.25" Tall
    $124.95 US • On Sale February 2015
    * Allocations May Occur
    Last edited by The_Greatest_Username; 07-16-2014 at 08:30 PM.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Incredible Member

The poll has no option for DCAU Hawkgirl.

Ahh, those battle cries by Maria Canals....

I would love it if the DCnU revisited the Blackfire and Hawkwoman relationship. Prior to the reboot it was Blackfire who killed Hawkwoman during the Rann-Thanagar War.

If Shayera returned and was still leading the Thanagarians, I would would love to see her feud with another rival warrior Queen in Blackfire. I think a Thanagar-Tamaran War would be very interesting.

However, I'm not a big fan of the way either of these two characters have been portrayed within the DCnU and would love for writers to give them both better characterization and development.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul View Post
    The poll has no option for DCAU Hawkgirl.

Ahh, those battle cries by Maria Canals....
    I was going with the comic versions of the character. If you like the DCAU version of the character, I believe the Hawkworld version shared most of the personality traits.

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    I would love it if the DCnU revisited the Blackfire and Hawkwoman relationship. Prior to the reboot it was Blackfire who killed Hawkwoman during the Rann-Thanagar War.

If Shayera returned and was still leading the Thanagarians, I would would love to see her feud with another rival warrior Queen in Blackfire. I think a Thanagar-Tamaran War would be very interesting.

However, I'm not a big fan of the way either of these two characters have been portrayed within the DCnU and would love for writers to give them both better characterization and development.
    I think it would be cool if JLU was kept as the space Justice League. He could add Shayera and Starfire the break up the teen brigade in the female cast.

I miss the Shayera Thal Hol /Hawkwoman of the Silver Age.

"History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

i was just wondering, this thread is cool but is there a hawkman appreciation thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Herowatcher View Post
    I miss the Shayera Thal Hol /Hawkwoman of the Silver Age.

I know, she was the best.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    i was just wondering, this thread is cool but is there a hawkman appreciation thread?
    Here you go:

http://community.comicbookresources....n-Appreciation!

Loved shay from the cartoons! ^_^
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

I was never the biggest fan of the Hawks, though I did enjoy Johns' work with them in JSA and had no issue with Kendra, nor any real desire to see Shayera return in any meaningful way. It was nice when they popped up and I liked their dynamic but it was a "take them or leave them" sort of thing.

But lately I've been watching the old Justice League and JLU cartoons and I'm starting to really enjoy Shayera. Honestly, I'd rather see her used than Hawkman, and Im hoping that she ends up on the roster for the Justice League film (if it ever actually happens of course).

As for Young Justice, I thought both she and Carter had great visuals and I wish they had gotten a larger role in the show (or at least a couple lines of dialogue!) but I agree Shay's skirt didnt fit with the rest of the costume. Change that into some pants and YJ gave us the best Hawkgirl costume ever, in my opinion.

So can anyone recommend some good Hawkgirl/woman stories? Send me a PM if you would, just in case this thread gets buried or I forget to check back.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

So no recommendations for Shayera reading? Or Hawkgirl/woman in general?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Time to liver forever! Energist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    The thing is, it's kind of hard to recommend a Hawkgirl story without Hawkman factoring into it as well, as--in my opinion, anyway--most of their best stories include both of them. That said, some good stories that feature either just Shayera or she and Hawkman together would include:

Justice - The Alex Ross/Jim Krueger maxi-series. The Hawks have a small part, but they're very well portrayed in it.
    Hawkworld - Both the Timothy Truman mini-series as well as the John Ostrander ongoing that followed. Hawkman Volume 3 is also decent, but Shayera sort of fades into the background midway through that series.
    Hawkman Volume 4, #15-#18 - Hawkworld Shayera returns for a really good showing here. She's probably my favorite interpretation of the character, and if you liked her on JLU, I expect you'll like her here, too.
    Legend of the Hawkman - Silver Age Hawks in a more contemporary setting. Written by Ben Raab and drawn by Michael Lark.
    The Shadow War of Hawkman - As well as the ongoing series (Hawkman Volume 2) that followed by Tony Isabella. Isabella really captured the married couple/superhero duo dichotomy of the Hawks better than anyone.
    JLA: The Nail - Shayera's really not in this all that much, but she is featured by herself and does have a couple of standout moments. There's also a sequel, Another Nail, but she's featured even less in it.
    Justice League Adventures and Justice League Unlimited - The comic book adaptation of the old animated series. She's not in every issue, of course, but she's in a lot of them, and the writing's almost as strong as the cartoons'.
    "Forgiving the unrepentant is like drawing pictures on water." - Japanese Proverb

What I liked about The Nail and Another Nail were the friendships she established with Aquaman and Zatanna in each. If DC ever decides to bring back Shayera, I'd love for her to establish a connection with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Sorry, for missing your original question, but fortunately Energist got all of the good readings covered.

I like Hawkwoman and would have liked for her to have a greater part in the DCnU 52. I feel like DC really dropped the ball for not capitalizing on the success of the Jl/U cartoon shows.
    Last edited by nj06; 09-17-2014 at 06:31 PM.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by Energist View Post
    The thing is, it's kind of hard to recommend a Hawkgirl story without Hawkman factoring into it as well, as--in my opinion, anyway--most of their best stories include both of them. That said, some good stories that feature either just Shayera or she and Hawkman together would include:

Justice - The Alex Ross/Jim Krueger maxi-series. The Hawks have a small part, but they're very well portrayed in it.
    Hawkworld - Both the Timothy Truman mini-series as well as the John Ostrander ongoing that followed. Hawkman Volume 3 is also decent, but Shayera sort of fades into the background midway through that series.
    Hawkman Volume 4, #15-#18 - Hawkworld Shayera returns for a really good showing here. She's probably my favorite interpretation of the character, and if you liked her on JLU, I expect you'll like her here, too.
    Legend of the Hawkman - Silver Age Hawks in a more contemporary setting. Written by Ben Raab and drawn by Michael Lark.
    The Shadow War of Hawkman - As well as the ongoing series (Hawkman Volume 2) that followed by Tony Isabella. Isabella really captured the married couple/superhero duo dichotomy of the Hawks better than anyone.
    JLA: The Nail - Shayera's really not in this all that much, but she is featured by herself and does have a couple of standout moments. There's also a sequel, Another Nail, but she's featured even less in it.
    Justice League Adventures and Justice League Unlimited - The comic book adaptation of the old animated series. She's not in every issue, of course, but she's in a lot of them, and the writing's almost as strong as the cartoons'.
    That is great, thank you much. I actually just had my LCS set aside the full Hawkworld series, from mini's to ongoing. Fifty bucks, before my discount. Seemed a decent grab. And I've no problem with Hawkman. I agree that he and Shayera make for a great dynamic and they work better as a couple than as individuals. Thanks for the hook up.

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    I like Hawkwoman and would have liked for her to have a greater part in the DCnU 52. I feel like DC really dropped the ball for not capitalizing on the success of the Jl/U cartoon shows.
    Well, to DC's credit those JLU cartoons were what? A decade ago? And they did play Hawkgirl up pretty well in Johns' JSA and Hawkman's solo series back then. Granted it wasnt Shayera, but Kendra was popular too. Its also been proven shows and movies dont help comic sales very much so I dont think DC missed out on too much back then. I do agree that the Hawks have been wasted in the 52 though. The reboot helped some characters but really screwed some others over too, and sadly the Hawks were among the latter.

Earth-2s Hawkgirl isnt so bad though.

~ Black Panther.