Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Bruce knows... (Justice League #42 SPOILER)

So in the latest Justice League, Batman takes control of the Mobius Chair after Diana takes it away from Metron. He asks it who killed his parents to see if its all-knowledgable as its supposed to be. It gives the correct answer. Batman then asks his next question: What is the Joker's true name? The Chair tells him. And its something that shocks Batman as he answers "No, it can't be...". So yeah, I don't know if this will ever be utilized in his main books, but he knows who the Joker is now. And its clearly an identity that is familiar to Bruce Wayne on some level. Enough for him to be shocked at the answer.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I'm guessing that it's going to be one of those "mysteries" that will never actually be revealed.

I'll be honest my initial thought was that the answer to both questions is the same. Joe Chill.

But yeah, it could easily just be something that Bruce forgets once he loses his New God status, but the chosen reaction of Bruce makes me wonder ifit'll come into play at some point. I mean if its meant to continue on as an unsolvable mystery, they could have just had Bruce have a silent reaction to the answer or something and not really let us know how it affected him.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

I'd like to think the Chair told him "I don't know", and he's shocked that even the chair doesn't know. Also, I think he'll forget by the time he's done playing Bat-God.
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 07-15-2015 at 03:44 AM.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    I'd like to think the Chair told him "I don't know", and he's shocked that even the chair doesn't know. Also, I think he'll forget by the time he's done playing Bat-God.
    Though maybe he'd remember that he'd known and forgotten, which would irk him.

Probably his high school school drama teacher

The Bat-God lol, I would love to see a multiverse story with Batman as a Cosmic Inspector/Detective.

I also think it will remain something that's never mentioned again. Felt a bit disappointed that they used something like this in the first place because it's a lonely hint that will never stand for anything.

Lol, wouldn't that just be the peak of Gary Stu-ing Joker. The Mobius Chair, the fount of all knowledge in all DCU Universes...doesn't know who a guy in clown make up was born as.

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Probably his high school school drama teacher
    Simon Trent, the Gray Ghost?

Bruce asked the chair what the Joker's true name is. It's possible the chair answered with "The Joker." Maybe he's so far-gone from who he was born as that the truth is that he is simply the Joker.

Or maybe he's not even a person. Maybe he really is chaos incarnate.
    I'm still waiting for a new Wonder Twins ongoing. Let's make it happen, DC!

I really don't like this, just let it be a mystery, what does Batman knowing who the Joker really is/was matter? It's not really actionable intelligence, there's little you can do with the information besides taunt the Joker with it. because Joker has probably killed everyone who ever really knew him. Also, we already covered this in Death of the Family, Batman told who he knew who he really was, and that didn't turn out well... It just made Joker crazier and driven to kill more, it was no longer a game, now the Joker was just pissed off for Batman ruining the fun.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

He's Jack ...

... but Jack is dead, so you can call him ... Joker.

joker.jpg
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

Like Bruce's true name is Batman, Jokers true name is the Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'll be honest my initial thought was that the answer to both questions is the same. Joe Chill.....
    My thoughts exactly, although in all honesty it is far to predictable an answer.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."