Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    An ass? For giving us one of the most exciting comics moments in recent history? Who cares if it goes further than that? That one moment was a serious WTF fangasm moment, exquisitely rendered.

It's moments like this that make comics so special to me. Nothing else does but comics still have the ability, when done as well as Johns and Fabok are handling JL, to make me feel the absolute awe of childhood.

The playwright Eugene Ionesco writes beautifully about this idea when he says, “Childhood is the world of miracle and wonder; as if creation rose, bathed in the light, out of the darkness, utterly new and fresh and astonishing. The end of childhood is when things cease to astonish us.” When I read that page of Justice League 42, I was astonished. And I was immediately reminded of this quote and the feeling behind it.
    The Bat-God thing was epic, but no, if Johns or any other writer tries to reveal the Joker's true identity then they are in fact an ass (in my opinion). When you reveal the reality behind the Joker he will cease to astonish us.

The thing that makes the Joker a classic is that he represents to the ordinary citizens of Gotham (us) exactly what Batman represents to the criminals of Gotham. He is an unknown that can show up at any point and ruin whatever plans you made. He's an enigma that poses a real threat to your existance. Now who I'm talking about depends on if you're a law-abiding citizen or a criminal, but either way there is only one answer to who "He" is. Revealing Joker destroys that. It makes him just another Cobblepot or Zsasz.
    It's all just an opinion. Stop taking me so damn seriously.

Astonishing Member

The chair's answer is simply something to increase the mystery concerning the Joker's identity. Someone so mysteriously mysterious that Batman himself couldn't figure out who he was until this moment. Of course, he will forget everything after Darkseid war.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

An ass? For giving us one of the most exciting comics moments in recent history? Who cares if it goes further than that? That one moment was a serious WTF fangasm moment, exquisitely rendered.

It's moments like this that make comics so special to me. Nothing else does but comics still have the ability, when done as well as Johns and Fabok are handling JL, to make me feel the absolute awe of childhood.

The playwright Eugene Ionesco writes beautifully about this idea when he says, “Childhood is the world of miracle and wonder; as if creation rose, bathed in the light, out of the darkness, utterly new and fresh and astonishing. The end of childhood is when things cease to astonish us.” When I read that page of Justice League 42, I was astonished. And I was immediately reminded of this quote and the feeling behind it.
    Well said, Mr. Jones

Unfortunately, this makes "awesome" = "pointless". Über-fanboys may geek out over crap like this, but if it really means nothing and doesn't go anywhere beyond an off-hand mention that never is brought up again, some of us just don't care.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

I'm just surprised people are getting away with calling writers names and not getting banned for it.

Joker's identity will never be revealed. It's not "stupid" if the chair said the Joker. In fact, that's the only answer I'd accept, because we aren't ever supposed to know Joker's true identity. What would be stupid is if it does get known, and is in fact someone Bruce knows. That would just kill the mythos for me. Luckily, this is all for shock value (which I don't mind) and the answer won't ever come to fruition.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

I don't know where they're goin with this bit it was highly entertaining and that ending! Holy Bat-God!
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

The oblivious answer is Nyarlathotep.

When Bruce Wayne chose to become the Batman; He unknowingly sacrificed his identity and future as a Man to give Life to the Legend. The Idea of the Batman as an Avatar for Law and Order was so powerful that it reverberated across the Multiverse forcing Nyarlathothep to manifest as The Joker; Batman's eternal nemesis. The Joker only exists because of The Batman.

Or not, It could be Captain Carrot's long lost Evil Triplet.
    Life is the algorithm through which Goddess explores the infinite possibilities of Her own existence.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    I'm just surprised people are getting away with calling writers names and not getting banned for it.

Joker's identity will never be revealed. It's not "stupid" if the chair said the Joker. In fact, that's the only answer I'd accept, because we aren't ever supposed to know Joker's true identity. What would be stupid is if it does get known, and is in fact someone Bruce knows. That would just kill the mythos for me. Luckily, this is all for shock value (which I don't mind) and the answer won't ever come to fruition.
    LOL I got suspended (ages ago, mind) for basically just saying I didn't like a certain DC writer/editor.

I haven't read it other than comments (yet), but it sounds like one of those "never revealed" things. By the time Batman gets to interact with Joker he'll have lost the power/knowledge. There HAS been an awful lot of Joker ID fake-outs etc. lately. It wouldn't surprise IF it was leading somewhere, but ultimately I doubt it, and "don't go there!" fans should probably realise that and stop stressing.

Bruce knows...spoilers:
    what you did last summer
    end of spoilers

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Bruce knows...spoilers:
    what you did last summer
    end of spoilers
    Chuckle.

Come now everyone knows that the chair told Bruce that the Joker is really spoilers:
    Bat Cow
    end of spoilers
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    I'm guessing that it's going to be one of those "mysteries" that will never actually be revealed.
    My thoughts exactly. Personally I would love to find out his real origin, but DC may never reveal the Joker's real name because for better or worse, the character is one big mystery. I'm sure Geoff Johns will make up an excuse to make Batman forget who Joker is once he gets off the chair. Regardless I thought it was good writing to fit that in their.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

Surely this has been resolved in Batman already?!! As (judging by all the other characters) Darkseid War surely must take place before the events of Endgame in Batman. If the knowledge of the Joker had been made widely apparent there wouldn't have been the doubt Bruce experienced as to the Joker's origins in Endgame. So anyone who is worrying the Joker's identity will be revealed can rest easy.

I think it was supposed to be more of an insight into Bruce. Out of ALL the questions in the world he could think of to ask, the one burning on his mind without any hesitation was who is the joker, just shows how deep his obsession with him runs - which I like, I think it was a good addition to the story, if a little teasery.

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    Surely this has been resolved in Batman already?!! As (judging by all the other characters) Darkseid War surely must take place before the events of Endgame in Batman. If the knowledge of the Joker had been made widely apparent there wouldn't have been the doubt Bruce experienced as to the Joker's origins in Endgame. So anyone who is worrying the Joker's identity will be revealed can rest easy.

I think it was supposed to be more of an insight into Bruce. Out of ALL the questions in the world he could think of to ask, the one burning on his mind without any hesitation was who is the joker, just shows how deep his obsession with him runs - which I like, I think it was a good addition to the story, if a little teasery.
    Well maybe his disbelief should be taken seriously, he just straight does not believe what the chair told him during Endgame but might change his mind later.

Maybe Bruce was expecting some big twist and the name ended up just being "Bill Matthew" or something random like that lol

Iforg3tmyname

Maybe this happens before death of a family and that's how he knew jokers true name?