Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I myself have postulated a not-very similar idea.

Yes, Kathy Kane did train her. But when Kathy found out the truth of her father; his ideas for world control - including the school for young ladies - she realized her father and other forces would use Bette as a template for these student trainings.

Kathy sent her away for her own protection, but possibly Bette's own keen Detective abilities kept this in her mind; so she never lost the spirit of becoming a true caped crusader.
    I like your idea.

Sometimes you can keep someone safer by sending them away. Sometimes you keep someone safer by keeping them close.

I would like for Bette to be tied into other things than just the current Batwoman. Some of her possible true but not reconciled history involves time with the Teen Titans.

In effect Bette/y was trained by Batwoman and maybe to a small degree by Bruce, in the Silver Age.

Possibly some training or just working on her own skills in her brief Teen Titans stint (or similar retconning)

Then her best training would seem to have come in the new 52 era with first Kate, and then Jacob.

So on the idea that she may have more skills or training than most would think; ie; "appears to be *just* a blonde" I could see her confidence growing and allowing herself to be the 'plant' for certain missions.
    Bette really does not have time to wait for development in the pages of Batwoman. We've been waiting for decades for DC to remember Bette exists. She really needs to bloom now...so other writers may become interested in her.

I think in Kathy's "retcon" (first "greatest" love of Bruce) we see more qualities like that. Although Bette was a niece by marriage (to a widowed guy who would end up leaving her a widow), even in the Silver Age she seemed concerned about Bette's entry into danger. So that works for me, especially if the retcon about KK's Nazi father holds up and all.

I think the "twice-named" daughter of Kane (first Bat-Girl, now Flamebird who has no connection to Nightwing) has had various editorial forces arrayed against her. It would take a lot more fans asking, begging, etc. But I'm not going anywhere.

Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

**** THANK YOU! very nice.

[come back, Flamebird, come back!]

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Oooh, man, that's super awesome! (And I echo Oberon - Tynion should bring Bette back!)
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

So, referencing the thread on whether Dick should be with Starfire or Batgirl, I am wondering if this foreshadows anything in particular.

I've always felt that one of the reasons why Bette is not being used more is that the name "Flamebird" is a constant reminder that she is/should be/used to be

somehow connected to Nightwing - but for probably most of publication history that has never been the case.
    Yet various fans remember there was an in story reason for why each of them had their name.

But editorial, I am pretty sure, don't want such a connection. So I think this was part of the reason she was deconstructed in the first Batwoman series, to become Hawkfire

(a name that proves there was really no decent reflection on how or why it should change - other than to be "not" Flamebird).

So although I'll continue reading BW and Detective and hoping for some action with Bette, I'm pretty sure that once again

she will end up not being / using the name FB

She will never have any of her connection to her past eras; the original Bat-girl (who clearly liked Dick, though later it was used for comic intent in her pre-Nu52 "Flamebird" appearances).

She's just a character that no one knows what to do with - or secretly despises her and will keep her in tier Z (sub.372 level - i.e.; cameos, mostly).

But she's a blonde-haired stepchild, not a red-haired one . . . so at least she's got that.

Extraordinary Member

I think in Kathy's "retcon" (first "greatest" love of Bruce) we see more qualities like that. Although Bette was a niece by marriage (to a widowed guy who would end up leaving her a widow), even in the Silver Age she seemed concerned about Bette's entry into danger. So that works for me, especially if the retcon about KK's Nazi father holds up and all.
    The whole retcon is imo anyway a very confusing mess.

Yeah, sure, but either way

Bette is just a (now) cousin, that no body really cares for.

I hope I may catch up with comics this weekend; I usually let them amass before I pick them up. I figure I'm at least 2 'Tec behind.

At any rate, since it sounds like Kate's status with the team in Detective is/will/has changed.

Does anyone think this would be a good way to clear the decks for new stories, that might bring Bette back into Kate's world?

I guess the elephant in the room is that Kate prefers Bette to be more of a soldier; ie West Point, etc, like she is.

I just don't see that as true to her character - but we saw that too, in her brief cameo a few months ago in 'Tec.

BANNED

I hope I may catch up with comics this weekend; I usually let them amass before I pick them up. I figure I'm at least 2 'Tec behind.

At any rate, since it sounds like Kate's status with the team in Detective is/will/has changed.

Does anyone think this would be a good way to clear the decks for new stories, that might bring Bette back into Kate's world?

I guess the elephant in the room is that Kate prefers Bette to be more of a soldier; ie West Point, etc, like she is.

I just don't see that as true to her character - but we saw that too, in her brief cameo a few months ago in 'Tec.

Bette's chances of getting appearances were really looking good for a second there, but now I think it's safe to say she's been placed in the same boat as JPV, Luke and Harper. With 'Tec going back to being a Batman book (or if its Tomasi taking over a Batman and Robin book) and Batwoman not having much time left, Bette is almost definitely staying in limbo for the time being.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Bette's chances of getting appearances were really looking good for a second there, but now I think it's safe to say she's been placed in the same boat as JPV, Luke and Harper. With 'Tec going back to being a Batman book (or if its Tomasi taking over a Batman and Robin book) and Batwoman not having much time left, Bette is almost definitely staying in limbo for the time being.
    Not much time left for what?

Oh I think Bette will appear in Batwoman. So, tell us how you know that Batwoman is almost over.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Not much time left for what?
    Time left in its run. #11 sold 17,183 from Diamond and the drops haven't shown any sign of slowing down. And according to Caivu it did pretty good but not AMAZING in trade sales. I see it making it to #18, possibly #20, but that's it.

Can you benchmark against other 'Bat' titles? How do the others sell compared to Batwoman?

BANNED

Can you benchmark against other 'Bat' titles? How do the others sell compared to Batwoman?
    Batgirl and the Birds of Prey was the only one doing worse and it just got cancelled. In January it sold 16,071. Batgirl and Batman Beyond are doing slightly better at 18,887 and 17,946 respectively. The former I see getting relaunched very soon and the latter I see ending soon. Nightwing is selling in the high 20,000's, Red Hood and the Outlaws in the low 20,000's and Batman and 'Tec are DC's highest selling ongoing titles.