Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Does Tom King Plans A KnightFall Like Story?

From what has transpired so far in Tom King's epic with the cancellation of the Bat-marriage, Nightwing's shooting, Batman's and Gordon's relatioship going down the drain, Batman acting so... aggresive and with Bane being the bid bad of this 100 plus story, is it possible that they plan a new KnightFall like story with a Batman replacement follow up?
    It certainly looks like they going into a major deconstruction for Bruce so far.

I know alot of people have brought up the Knightfall comparison, considering they're both essentially Bane throwing gauntlets at Batman in order to break him, but I don't see them fully going the Batman replacement route. At this point in the story, I'm not sure where exactly that could reasonably fit in, not to mention the point is Bruce losing all of his allies, so there isn't really anyone to replace him. The only possible way I could think of is if maybe he "dies"/retires at the very end of the series, and someone else takes over for the relaunch, but I doubt anyone would wanna actually go through with that (and thats not even mentioning other writers like Snyder who would still want Batman around)

Dunno, kinda tired of these replacement stories. We've already had 2 of these over the last decade, with both Dick Grayson and Jim Gordon stepping in. I seriously hope there's more to this story than that.
    Keep in mind that at the end of "i am gotham", gotham girl narrating from the future says that she killed batman. Kinda nervous about that whole ordeal, just not sure I have patience for yet another replacement story...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bat1987 View Post
    Dunno, kinda tired of these replacement stories. We've already had 2 of these over the last decade, with both Dick Grayson and Jim Gordon stepping in. I seriously hope there's more to this story than that.
    Keep in mind that at the end of "i am gotham", gotham girl narrating from the future says that she killed batman. Kinda nervous about that whole ordeal, just not sure I have patience for yet another replacement story...
    You're not expecting new ideas, are you?

Astonishing Member

Yeah I'm all kinds of tired of these in comics generally now

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Yeah I'm all kinds of tired of these in comics generally now
    Just think of it as recycling. It's a "green" thing to do (green as in bile acid).

Like Grant Morrison said, there are no nwe ideas because every story has already been told, one way or another. That doesn't mean those stories can't be exciting, as Morrison's run on Batman is proof of.

Agreed. It's just that, death, replacement and rebirth, have been done by both Morrisson and Snyder. Not saying King's story is heading that way, but all signs point to that.

Agreed. It's just that, death, replacement and rebirth, have been done by both Morrisson and Snyder. Not saying King's story is heading that way, but all signs point to that.
    To be honest, I do hope this is not how King is planning to end his run, but I don't think that's what he has in mind. There are so many red herring in his runs...

Astonishing Member

King plans for Bane to break Batman emotionally and traumatize him even further. After that I don't know what King will do. King is a strange writer, he loves the trauma motif so much that he neglects to have the characters overcome their trauma

The other problem people keep forgetting why it wouldn't make sense to lead into a replacement story is, who exactly would replace him? The story has been going out of its way to show him being separated from all of his allies and with them all going down different paths, and I do not see DC letting Batman be replaced at the start of a new relaunch.

According to King the rest of the series is:
    61-69 is the "Knightmares" arc which he says is "Scraping at the soul of Batman"
    70-74 is "The Fall And The Fallen"
    and 75 is the start of a special arc with a secret name that will directly lead into the road towards 100.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    The other problem people keep forgetting why it wouldn't make sense to lead into a replacement story is, who exactly would replace him? The story has been going out of its way to show him being separated from all of his allies and with them all going down different paths, and I do not see DC letting Batman be replaced at the start of a new relaunch.

According to King the rest of the series is:
    61-69 is the "Knightmares" arc which he says is "Scraping at the soul of Batman"
    70-74 is "The Fall And The Fallen"
    and 75 is the start of a special arc with a secret name that will directly lead into the road towards 100.
    Jean Paul Valley was a new character when he replaced Batman. Batman Beyond was also a novel concept at its time. Similarly no one even entertained the possibility of freaking Jim Gordon becoming Batman but here we are. I think King is clearly setting up Bane for a stint in the cowl.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Jean Paul Valley was a new character when he replaced Batman. Batman Beyond was also a novel concept at its time. Similarly no one even entertained the possibility of freaking Jim Gordon becoming Batman but here we are. I think King is clearly setting up Bane for a stint in the cowl.
    Bane in the cowl sounds so wrong.It sounds like something King would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    Like Grant Morrison said, there are no nwe ideas because every story has already been told, one way or another. That doesn't mean those stories can't be exciting, as Morrison's run on Batman is proof of.
    Did he say that about Batman comics or comics in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Hasn't it happened once ? I seems to remember at least one instance of Bane in a Batman outfit.