Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default I hope Marvel moves past "Big Events" post-Secret Wars

don't get me wrong i love having a big crossover event in marvel...but not every year....it seems like we get major crossover events all the time that the big "threats" are not as interesting

i would like marvel to focus on singular stories with its characters, focus more on characterization

stil have the big crossover events of course, but maybe One event every 4-5 years just to really shake things up

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Events are the crack cocaine of the comic book world, especially at Marvel as they have to keep their addicts satisfied, which, in turn, fattens the company's coffers. One event every four to five years? HA! Fat chance of that happening. There will probably be one around this time NEXT year.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    don't get me wrong i love having a big crossover event in marvel...but not every year....it seems like we get major crossover events all the time that the big "threats" are not as interesting

i would like marvel to focus on singular stories with its characters, focus more on characterization

stil have the big crossover events of course, but maybe One event every 4-5 years just to really shake things up
    No offense, but . . . good luck with happening.

A majority of the audience Marvel wants to attract evidentially have ADHD or something, because any time Marvel lets a series go beyond a second year without rebooting to a new #1 issue, it seems like at least half of those books lose too many sales and get cancelled.

What is the main thing that seem to attract readers / comic book shops to make bigger orders? First issues and EVENTS! And Marvel will keep milking those things until they no longer sell well.

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

Yeah, I'm with these two. Marvel with probably have an actual " Secret Wars fallout " event right after Secret Wars for that matter. Remember Onslaught? That lead right into Heroes Reborn (and various events still trailed out on 616 Earth). Heroes Reborn led right into Heroes Return and the books from 616 ran right into and into new events. Really when you think about for a long time Marvel continuity has been several strings of never ending events. Expect the rain, come with umbrella and never get soaked and such.
    I make love, you make me sick.

when was the last year we didn't have a major crossover? they sell. and i'm sure Secret Wars will do gangbusters.

Incredible Member

I get the impression Secret Wars is one huge ongoing event. They won't need any more events when their whole universe is an event.

4-5 isn't going to happen but I think 2-3 seems reasonable.

It gives the writers so,e freedom to tells stories without having to make sure the characters are "in the right place" in a variety of aspects for the next "big" event.

We'd also get to see heroes do more heroing as there would be more time to tell conventional super hero stories, rather than the perpetual obsession to have our heroes constantly fighting so they can miraculously come together for a day to fight so,e guy before getting around to the next in-fighting argument,

I hope I win Powerball on Wednesday.

And I like my chances better......

BANNED

As long as they sell they will keep coming. Story quality not withstanding, sales rule.

Oh, they will keep doing events. The Heroic Age shows that no events = less sales.

That's it, really. If people didn't support that model, then Marvel wouldn't use it. If you don't want events, then don't buy event books. Or, if you absolutely must, then just buy the main series and not all the extraneous crap that goes along with it.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Really what they just need to do is have a overall tag for the situation after SW, like how we had The Initiative after Civil War or Dark Reign after Secret Invasion. A place for new on-goings and situations and possibly mini events, but where they can have a quieter year as far as the big stuff goes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Oh, they will keep doing events. The Heroic Age shows that no events = less sales.
    Pretty much u dont want big events stop buying them

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Pretty much u dont want big events stop buying them
    That is the sad part I did stop buying them over 5 years ago. It is the rest of the idiots out there that keep buying these mindless nonsense stories.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    That is the sad part I did stop buying them over 5 years ago. It is the rest of the idiots out there that keep buying these mindless nonsense stories.
    To be fair to events, Marvel does tend to make the premise sound cool, especially if you're a more casual fan and not sure where to start. This might of course explain why more events lately have involved heroes battling each other rather than villains, casual fans latch onto such stuff like Cap vs Iron Man or Hulk taking on the Marvel Universe or Avengers battling X-Men. The premise might be interesting but it'll be the content which is more debatable. Honestly I think some events of late have been great, others ok, the odd one or two annoying. I think Secret Invasion burnt me the most since it was ultimately a set up for Dark Reign, but then I LOVED the premise of Dark Reign and the stuff they did. So apples and oranges, I guess? Some people seem to really dislike Fear Itself for example, I think it's ok.