Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I think the reason Bruce made Dick become a spy for him is going to be such a tough sell. Seeing them say that they were kind of rushed is interesting though as I do wonder what their plan was before, especially since Higgins said in a recent AMA that he knew he would be off Nightwing since August of last year. Still, it is going to be difficult to make it seem important enough while everything else is going on outside of Grayson. That is going to be what makes or breaks this title in my opinion. If they can actually make him joining Spyral feel important and like it is a move that carries weight and has an impact across the DCU rather than just some busywork to keep Dick Grayson out of the hair of the other DC titles until they can figure out what they fuck to do with him.

You know, since the idea of Grayson becoming a Spy, actually came from editorial, and then they opened it up to pitches by different creators (where Seeley/King came up with the Spyral angle), it's possible that DC already has and end-game in mind for all of this. This could tie into the next big event, in a year or so.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    You know, since the idea of Grayson becoming a Spy, actually came from editorial, and then they opened it up to pitches by different creators (where Seeley/King came up with the Spyral angle), it's possible that DC already has and end-game in mind for all of this. This could tie into the next big event, in a year or so.
    I've speculated elsewhere that Johns might have put it out there for something he wants to use in Justice League or a big DC Crossover, and it would certainly make sense of giving Owlman a Dickfocus if Grayson was going to be involved in the kind of Big Leagues story that a return of a Crime Syndicate member would mandate.

Also, as a writer who clearly likes Dick a great deal - from his Teen Titans run to Infinite Crisis - Johns almost visibly being made to reduce the importance of Nightwing to Forever Evil after seeding the character in Justice League #18, and doubtless being aware of Higgins not being allowed to have Nightwing cross over into other DC titles, I can see him originating the "we aren't allowed to use Nightwing, how can we still use Dick Grayson?" idea of a loss of the costumed identity and gaining a role as spymaster.
    Last edited by Claude; 05-30-2014 at 03:57 PM.

Incredible Member

Great interview! I was pleased to what these guys have planned. I can't wait for Grayson!

Astonishing Member

I doubt DC has an endgame; they're notorious for shifting plans all to frequently.

Incredible Member

Well, the writers hooked me by referring to Bruce and Dick as best friends. That's exactly what Batman and a grown up Robin should be.
    Gerry

Was a bit sad they didn't mention his time as Batman along with him being Robin and Nightwing. Oh well.

I'd be very surprised by that. I think this might be a case where you have two editorial departments sort of butting heads, and that was how this new spy direction came about. The big events coming from the two editorial departments (JL and Bat) are the Batman Eternal story that is already happening, and the Earth-2 War, Darkseid and Anti-Monitor stuff. Dick doesn't seem to be involved in any of that.

I mean Higgins' and the Batman editorial department clearly had a much bigger Chicago arc planned than we saw, but then Johns and the Justice League editorial department kicked him off the book, took the character from him, dragged the character into Forever Evil and then saddled him with a ton of baggage from the event. Then they didn't resolve any of it (his "death", getting his identity exposed, and even the Owlman sub-plot feel completely abandoned by Johns) and tossed the character back to the Batman editorial to deal with.

But since the Batman line really could care less about Forever Evil, you can tell they really want to focus on their own things like Eternal and don't really care about FE, but because Dick's character is covered in all these unresolved plot threads from Forever Evil they aren't really sure what to do with him or know how to include him in with their current Batman line plans. Plus they probably can't touch the Dick/Owlman stuff until Johns gets around to doing something with it so it if off the table. Deciding to have the character take a break from the main Batman line to be in his own little corner of the Batman world far away to be a spy was an easy solution. It's a nice holding place for the character until they figure out what to do next or until Johns/DC wants to crap on the character some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Is View Post
    I'm pretty much surprised no one else seemed to notice this. It seemed to be pretty directly stated in the interview.
    Yeah I know, after I read that I can't stop making the connection.

BANNED

I don't get this obsession fans have with a titular character starting out as the most skilled person in the book.

What are the iconic Batman stories, the one where he is just starting out and can barely stop a couple of kids stealing a tv, the one where he never finds out who Holiday is and can't stop Dent from turning evil, the one where Bane is a step ahead of him the whole story and ends up beating him, the one where KGBeast is beating the hell out of him, the one that ends with him getting framed by the Joker, faking his death in a fight with Superman, and having to go underground because he can't fight the government directly.

Hell the best Dick Grayson stories are the ones where Deathstroke was routinely schooling his entire team, he was unsure of his future, he was betrayed by a little kid, and he was running for his life in New York like a wounded puppy. Or when he was just starting out as Batman and had no idea how to handle it, was getting told off by his new protégé, and couldn't get his head around the new psychopath in town.

Just because Grayson isn't going to enter a totally new world and become the end all be all of it from the very start doesn't mean it can't be a compelling story and he can't be showcased as a star. Does anybody here really think Helena of all the characters in the world is going to overshadow Dick Grayson? The reason Batman has overshadowed Dick Grayson is because his own books have had Bruce Wayne worship all over them and all the angst that came with being the prodigal son.

Ultimate Member

Well said lancerman. I agree with you one hundred percent.

I'm actually pretty excited that there won't be any voice over boxes. That sounds cool. Also, I'm oddly glad to hear that Nightwong 30 was rushed. Very glad to hear that Seeley sees Bruce and Dick as best bros. That is angle that has never really been explored, them actually being brothers and near equals in each others eyes.

Also, I'm pretty sure that while Helena may be a better spy than Dick, we won't haver to worry about her stealing the show or spotlight.

And my final point. The way they refer to Helena as ''the best," and Dick as "cocky," continues to make me think of Archer and Lana.

I thing we're in for a fun ride.

"When you move Dick Grayson to a solo series and make him another guy that patrols Gotham, you inherently run out of things to do with him that don't involve him being Batman Lite."
    Oh boy do I agree with this, I personally love this new direction for this character. I've always been a fan of Dick Grayson and seeing him move on to new and exciting things makes me very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    I'm actually pretty excited that there won't be any voice over boxes. That sounds cool.
    Reminds me of Morrison's Batman and Robin. Hell, might even have continued into most of Inc outside of that Kathy Kane issue, maybe.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    I don't get this obsession fans have with a titular character starting out as the most skilled person in the book.

What are the iconic Batman stories, the one where he is just starting out and can barely stop a couple of kids stealing a tv, the one where he never finds out who Holiday is and can't stop Dent from turning evil, the one where Bane is a step ahead of him the whole story and ends up beating him, the one where KGBeast is beating the hell out of him, the one that ends with him getting framed by the Joker, faking his death in a fight with Superman, and having to go underground because he can't fight the government directly.

Hell the best Dick Grayson stories are the ones where Deathstroke was routinely schooling his entire team, he was unsure of his future, he was betrayed by a little kid, and he was running for his life in New York like a wounded puppy. Or when he was just starting out as Batman and had no idea how to handle it, was getting told off by his new protégé, and couldn't get his head around the new psychopath in town.

Just because Grayson isn't going to enter a totally new world and become the end all be all of it from the very start doesn't mean it can't be a compelling story and he can't be showcased as a star. Does anybody here really think Helena of all the characters in the world is going to overshadow Dick Grayson? The reason Batman has overshadowed Dick Grayson is because his own books have had Bruce Wayne worship all over them and all the angst that came with being the prodigal son.
    So frickin' obvious.

Fans insist on Grayson is a superstar, but they keep Gary Stuing him of their own free will and volition.

Makes me face palm constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    So frickin' obvious.

Fans insist on Grayson is a superstar, but they keep Gary Stuing him of their own free will and volition.

Makes me face palm constantly.
    Dick just spent 9 months tied to chair without a reason, nobody could be Gary Stued after that.