View Poll Results: Which film (from KF's "Top 10 Favourite Films") do you enjoy most?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. THE LORD OF THE RINGS (2001 - 2003)

41 35.04%
  • 2. the Silence of the Lambs (1991)

14 11.97%
  • 3. Apocalypse Now! (1979)

7 5.98%
  • 4. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)

9 7.69%
  • 5. Singin’ in the Rain (1952)

9 7.69%
  • 6. Blade Runner (1982)

22 18.80%
  • 7. C’era una volta il West (1968)

3 2.56%
  • 8. the Third Man (1949)

5 4.27%
  • 9. BEN-HUR (1959)

3 2.56%
  • 10. Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi (2001)

4 3.42%
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    PUT ME ON THE SPOT, WHY DONCHA?? Lol, okay, lemme find a list of Disney animated feature films to look at and try to come up with a Top 5...

Before I get to that, though, I have to point out that some of my most beloved animated films ever came from Don Bluth. They tend to have a little more darkness, but still so much heart: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Blu...collaborations

1. The Secret of NIMH (1982)
    2. An American Tail (1986)
    3. The Land Before Time (1988)
    4. All Dogs Go To Heaven (1989)
    5. Rock-a-Doodle (1992)

In fact, looking at the short list available at that link, I think the only one I didn't particularly care for was Titan A.E. ^_^;;
    JUDAS!!! Don Bleuth nearly killed Disney!!! Though I do love the Secret of NIHM, such an awesome film; and the FIRST Land Before Time is great (HOW did that spawn seven sequels???)

As for Disney films:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...mated_features

Top 5 Enjoyed Disney Films a.k.a. The Amazing List:

1. The Lion King (1994)
    2. The Rescuers Down Under (1990)
    3. Aladdin (1992)
    4. Beauty and The Beast (1991)
    5. The Little Mermaid (1989)
    I personally find the Rescuers (1977) far more powerful due to the whole child abuse angle, and Madam Medusa is one of my favourite Disney villains; but it's a very good list. There is a reason those films are the most lauded of the "new golden age"

Looking at my list, I see a heavy 1990s bias and although I appreciate the classic princesses, I appear to be more of an animal person. ;P If I had to do a straight "quality" list (as opposed to the "enjoyment" list I've come up with) I'd say...

Top 5 Quality Disney Films:

1. Bambi (1942)
    2. The Fox and the Hound (1981)
    3. The Rescuers (1977)
    4. Pinocchio (1940)
    5. Cinderella (1950)
    I always think "greatest" is where appreciation (RE: quality/artistic merit/ingenuity) meets enjoyment (passion and love for a film). For example I think all the original 4 (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937), Pinocchio (1940), Fantasia (1940) and Dumbo (1941)) artistically are Disney at it's more daring and strongest. It's never had a more creative, bold and just plain genius run. BUT... my enjoyment of them is far more due to appreciating how ground-breaking and creative they are, rather than a personal love for the run itself. That said... I think Pinocchio and Dumbo are amazing, and I do love them very much.

And do you like the Disney movies, too? I see Beauty and the Beast is on your list... :-) How about your Top 5?
    "Top 5"
    1. Beauty and the Beast (1991)
    2. Pinocchio (1940)
    3. Sleeping Beauty (1959)
    4. the Rescuers (1977)
    5. Frozen (2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Well, it does when you consider "anime" is just the Japanese word for "animation" Amazon sells it under Movies & TV › DVD › Anime

And Wiki defines it as
    Anime (Japanese: アニメ?, are Japanese animated productions usually featuring hand-drawn or computer animation. The word is the abbreviated pronunciation of "animation" in Japanese, where this term references all animation.[1] In other languages, the term is defined as animation from Japan or as a Japanese-disseminated animation style often characterized by colorful graphics, vibrant characters and fantastic themes.[2][3] Arguably, the stylization approach to the meaning may open up the possibility of anime produced in countries other than Japan.[4][5][6] For simplicity, many Westerners strictly view anime as an animation product from Japan.[3]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime
    See, the problem is the quote is contradictory. I (personally) completely disagree. I think the word has now evolved and now means a style of Japanese animation, not all animation done in Japan (as maybe it once did).

Yipes. I can understand caring about cinematography first and acting second (I think both are important, and tend on the acting side, myself... unless it's just TERRIBLE, the non-acting parts don't break a film for me), but not caring about acting AT ALL? Geez.
    I'm an actor, so it's one of the things that can really ruin of movie for me.

Good. ;-) I'm of the opinion that films should stand on their own and great films will always hold up, even when removed from their cultural context.
    QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!! I hate it when people justify why a film is good by quoting context. NO, NO, NO!!! Context and anecdotes can elevate an already amazing film into "incredible" territory, but it must stand on it's own. Like modern art, if it's only good once you know why (from context outside the work) then it doesn't work.

Yes, it IS strange! It just goes to show you how well-made the first one was, though. The Hobbit trilogy, like the later Matrix films, are now/were at the time beloved mainly on the strength of the films that came before it. And I think most people could agree that by the time the third Matrix flick came out, this was just unentertaining crap... even if they could teach philosophy classes on it. ;P
    I enjoy the Hobbit trilogy so much, BUT it's not a patch on the original trilogy.

Seeing Rex Harrison there reminds me that there is, actually, an old movie I love!
    Like really, truly love!
    Can you guess?
    Well...
    It's...
    Doctor Dolittle (1967)!

I've never seen that either; but it did remind me of another older film that is a good "avenue" into older films: My Fair Lady (1964) (Rex Harrison and the name Dolittle trigger this). I think it's the perfect musical. An already amazing script (from the play Pygmallion by George Bernard Shaw) and they added some of the greatest musical numbers "I Could Have Danced All Night", "With A Little Bit of Luck", "Get Me To the Church On Time" and "Wouldn't It Be Lovely". Rex Harrison won Best Actor for it, and it swept the awards (including Best Picture).

And then THAT reminds me of "Herbie" from The Love Bug (1968), which I also enjoyed, but probably wouldn't hold up as well for me now. I'm sure Mary Poppins (1964) would hold up just fine, especially if the kids were young enough to not be spoiled on computer graphics yet. The point is, I'm seeing an alarming trend in children's films here and wondering just how mature my sensibilities are, if at all. ;P But there you have it. XD
    My Fair Lady's cast were all taken from the stage musical (all EXCEPT the then unknown Julie Andrews). One of the reasons she won Best Actress the same year for Mary Poppins (when Audrey Hepburn wasn't even nominated) was because it really should have been Julie's role.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 09-09-2014 at 04:18 AM.

BANNED

Even if you wanted to say not all cartoons made in Japan are anime...Spirited Away is still anime.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    JUDAS!!! Don Bleuth nearly killed Disney!!! Though I do love the Secret of NIHM, such an awesome film; and the FIRST Land Before Time is great (HOW did that spawn seven sequels???)
    Hah, I can't help liking what I like. ;D I have no idea how that spawned seven sequels, my gosh... I watched a few of them, but they eventually became downright unwatchable; soooo far removed from the original lesson. Glad you've seen The Secret of NIHM in particular. That film was soo amazing to me as a kid (I guess someone who grew up on Disney didn't know films could be that dark!) and it's still good now.

I personally find the Rescuers (1977) far more powerful due to the whole child abuse angle, and Madam Medusa is one of my favourite Disney villains; but it's a very good list. There is a reason those films are the most lauded of the "new golden age"
    Yeah, that's why it had to earn a place on my "quality" list and I'm glad it made your list, too. ^.^ But for myself, soaring atop a giant golden eagle -- then, of course, all the funny Australian banter/conflict between the mice, and the overall larger scope of the film -- really did it for me. I'm a little sad that the two films seem to have been all but forgotten by time, probably because toys for it aren't as easily marketed.

I always think "greatest" is where appreciation (RE: quality/artistic merit/ingenuity) meets enjoyment (passion and love for a film). For example I think all the original 4 (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937), Pinocchio (1940), Fantasia (1940) and Dumbo (1941)) artistically are Disney at it's more daring and strongest. It's never had a more creative, bold and just plain genius run. BUT... my enjoyment of them is far more due to appreciating how ground-breaking and creative they are, rather than a personal love for the run itself. That said... I think Pinocchio and Dumbo are amazing, and I do love them very much.
    I agree with you there, on all points: Snow White and Fantasia are indeed very strong films from an artistic point of view, and I do love both Pinocchio and Dumbo very much. It was difficult to leave the latter off my lists.

And I did enjoy Sleeping Beauty very much (especially the three fairies turning everything into the color they thought was best!), as well as Frozen (Will that song ever leave my headspace? I don't know, I don't knoooow!), but I had to give up to the others, hah.

I'm an actor, so it's one of the things that can really ruin of movie for me.
    One bad performance can really bring a particular scene down; multiple bad performances have the same effect on the movie as a whole. It's a director's job to (among other things) get the best possible performances out of the actors. Truly skillful direction can turn an otherwise mediocre actor into a very watchable star (I'm sorry to say this, but the perfect example that tends to pop up in my mind is Jessica Alba being great in Dark Angel vs. Jessica Alba being in... just about anything else).

Though to be fair, sometimes bad performances only arise when the material itself is so bad, no one can take it seriously. And that's not taking into account purposefully campy stuff... but this isn't a thread about acting, so moving onto your next point... XD

QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!! I hate it when people justify why a film is good by quoting context. NO, NO, NO!!! Context and anecdotes can elevate an already amazing film into "incredible" territory, but it must stand on it's own. Like modern art, if it's only good once you know why (from context outside the work) then it doesn't work.
    *clicks tongue* Yep, same here.

I've never seen that either; but it did remind me of another older film that is a good "avenue" into older films: My Fair Lady (1964) (Rex Harrison and the name Dolittle trigger this). I think it's the perfect musical. An already amazing script (from the play Pygmallion by George Bernard Shaw) and they added some of the greatest musical numbers "I Could Have Danced All Night", "With A Little Bit of Luck", "Get Me To the Church On Time" and "Wouldn't It Be Lovely". Rex Harrison won Best Actor for it, and it swept the awards (including Best Picture).
    Ah yes, "My Fair Lady!" I have seen that, and I did like it well enough, but it ultimately isn't something I'd call a favorite or even watch again. It was certainly well done, though. Would it be heresy if I considered "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" the perfect musical? Hahah. Probably. Anyway: Recently rewatched Little Shop of Horrors (1986). I was surprised how much of it actually ISN'T about a giant talking plant. Pretty good, though that's with my Rick Moranis bias taken into account...

I'd love for you to do a review on Doctor Dolittle (1967). I won't crushed if you find that it is, in fact, a bad movie, lol.

My Fair Lady's cast were all taken from the stage musical (all EXCEPT the then unknown Julie Andrews). One of the reasons she won Best Actress the same year for Mary Poppins (when Audrey Hepburn wasn't even nominated) was because it really should have been Julie's role.
    Oh yes, Julie Andrews would've made it much better than it was, in my personal esteem. You might've read comments from me praising the film even more, then.
    Last edited by Starleafgirl; 09-09-2014 at 10:12 AM.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Glad you've seen The Secret of NIHM in particular. That film was soo amazing to me as a kid (I guess someone who grew up on Disney didn't know films could be that dark!) and it's still good now.
    I think Disney is far darker than many give it credit. Maybe not the 90's films, but the early ones (like Pinocchio or Dumbo or Alice in Wonderland) were very dark. Maestro (the whale) is STILL terrifying now.

Yeah, that's why it had to earn a place on my "quality" list and I'm glad it made your list, too. ^.^ But for myself, soaring atop a giant golden eagle -- then, of course, all the funny Australian banter/conflict between the mice, and the overall larger scope of the film -- really did it for me. I'm a little sad that the two films seem to have been all but forgotten by time, probably because toys for it aren't as easily marketed.
    Which is crazy, really. If Sylvania families sell, why not Bernard and Bianca?

And I did enjoy Sleeping Beauty very much (especially the three fairies turning everything into the color they thought was best!), as well as Frozen (Will that song ever leave my headspace? I don't know, I don't knoooow!), but I had to give up to the others, hah.
    I love the use of magic by the fairies, turning arrows into flowers, boulders into bubbles. Some fun facts: that is the first Disney film a female hero kills someone (Mistress Merryweather kills the crow) and Briar Rose doesn't actually speak again after she runs up stairs crying about going back to the city.

Truly skillful direction can turn an otherwise mediocre actor into a very watchable star (I'm sorry to say this, but the perfect example that tends to pop up in my mind is Jessica Alba being great in Dark Angel vs. Jessica Alba being in... just about anything else).
    The great directors can, yes, make a bad/mediocre actor better BUT it's not easy, and can't always be done. Especially in film so much of it relies on the actor on the day, not the director.

Though to be fair, sometimes bad performances only arise when the material itself is so bad, no one can take it seriously.
    I always think a sign of a good actor is the ones who do okay in awful films. Yes sometimes it's the directing, yes sometimes the script, but ultimately the actor either has it or they don't (often directors don't actually "direct" acting, merely nuance a few moments). It's easy to think someone is a good actor in an Aaron Sorkin script, or a Clint Eastwood film; it's the ones who shine even in mediocre work that are the truly talented.

Oh yes, Julie Andrews would've made it much better than it was, in my personal esteem. You might've read comments from me praising the film even more, then.
    You can still get the original Broadway cast album (with Julie Andrews singing the songs). The loss of her voice is one of the greatest tragedies of musical theatre.

I think Disney is far darker than many give it credit. Maybe not the 90's films, but the early ones (like Pinocchio or Dumbo or Alice in Wonderland) were very dark. Maestro (the whale) is STILL terrifying now.
    Oh yeah, that scared me quite a bit, too. ;D But it was the imagery of NIMH that really got to me, the most.

I love the use of magic by the fairies, turning arrows into flowers, boulders into bubbles. Some fun facts: that is the first Disney film a female hero kills someone (Mistress Merryweather kills the crow)
    That's right, that was a great use of magic! And neat, re: that fact.

I always think a sign of a good actor is the ones who do okay in awful films. Yes sometimes it's the directing, yes sometimes the script, but ultimately the actor either has it or they don't (often directors don't actually "direct" acting, merely nuance a few moments). It's easy to think someone is a good actor in an Aaron Sorkin script, or a Clint Eastwood film; it's the ones who shine even in mediocre work that are the truly talented.
    Yes, you're right. That's why, so often, I'll watch a mediocre or downright awful film just for a particular actor/actress in it that shines through.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg

Im very surprised that you dont have the first true blockbuster on your list KF. The movie that actually creates Hollywood.

The Birth Of A Nation (1915)
    http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Birth_of_a_Nation

The Birth of a Nation (originally called The Clansman) is a 1915 American silent drama film directed by D. W. Griffith and based on the novel and play The Clansman, both by Thomas Dixon, Jr. Griffith co-wrote the screenplay (with Frank E. Woods), and co-produced the film (with Harry Aitken). It was released on February 8, 1915. The film was originally presented in two parts, separated by an intermission. It was the first 12-reel film in America.

The film chronicles the relationship of two families in Civil War and Reconstruction-era America: the pro-Union Northern Stonemans and the pro-Confederacy Southern Camerons over the course of several years. The assassination of President Abraham Lincoln by John Wilkes Booth is dramatized.

The film was a commercial success, but was highly controversial owing to its portrayal of African-American men (played by white actors in blackface) as unintelligent and sexually aggressive towards white women, and the portrayal of the Ku Klux Klan (whose original founding is dramatized) as a heroic force...

Released in 1915, The Birth of a Nation has been credited as groundbreaking among its contemporaries for its innovative application of the medium of film. According to the film historian Kevin Brownlow, the film was "astounding in its time" and initiated "so many advances in film-making technique that it was rendered obsolete within a few years."The content of the work, however, has received widespread criticism for its blatantly racist and fantastical depictions of scenes that are presented onscreen as if in documentary form. Film critic Roger Ebert writes, "Certainly The Birth of a Nation (1915) presents a challenge for modern audiences. Unaccustomed to silent films and uninterested in film history, they find it quaint and not to their taste. Those evolved enough to understand what they are looking at find the early and wartime scenes brilliant, but cringe during the postwar and Reconstruction scenes, which are racist in the ham-handed way of an old minstrel show or a vile comic pamphlet.
    Its message is horrible but the movie itself is quite spectacular, its the first movie of its kind and without D.W. Griffith wouldnt of made he next film (and I think the better film) Intolerance.

Intolerance (1916)
    http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intolerance_%28film%29
    Last edited by R.E.B; 09-12-2014 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R.E.B View Post
    Im very surprised that you dont have the first true blockbuster on your list KF. The movie that actually creates Hollywood.

The Birth Of A Nation (1915)
    http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...th_of_a_Nation

Its message is horrible but the movie itself is quite spectacular, its the first movie of its kind and without D.W. Griffith wouldnt of made he next film (and I think the better film) Intolerance.

Intolerance (1916)
    http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...nce_%28film%29
    I've never seen it; but I highly, HIGHLY doubt I would ever consider putting it in my "Top 100". It's not just about "which is the most important films" but which are the greatest films. And in that I feel content matters. And a film that glorifies the KKK... just isn't a film I will enjoy. Enjoyment is definitely part of what makes something great. That said I do agree I need to see the film, mostly just to say I have and I'm right in not including it. I also haven't seen Intolerance, so that's also on my list to watch.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Rescuers Down Under didn't open well so Katzenburg pulled all advertisements and let it die on the vine. I feel like Disney is still tuck in that mindset a bit with it.

. Similarly (in the '100 Most Important Films') would be Birth of a Nation (1915). I see people put that in a "100 Greatest Films" list and cringe. It's about the Klu Klux Klan being awesome, HOW does story not matter to some film 'fans'???
    Some people just fall all over themselves to act like they aren't influenced by it's politics so they praise it's "art".

I look at it as a movie that has actors in blackface eating fried chicken in office, that's just bad film-making right there.

The kids aren't bad, but the stories asks so much in the performance of Elliott; and he just isn't capable of the full rage of emotions (without becoming cheesey/over-the-top). The music is beautiful. It's just a little too sugary sweet for me.
    Must a Brit thing. I think if it as one of the quintessentially "American" movies (like It's a Wonderful Life ) and he's spot on for playing an 80s American kid (which he was). I"m not saying to mean or jingoistic, I think culture plays a part in what films "work" for people. Like, I don't think Shakespeare will ever take America by storm. LOL It doesn't mean it's inherently bad, just doesn't appeal to me in my life.

I enjoy the Hobbit trilogy so much, BUT it's not a patch on the original trilogy.
    Heh. The Hobbit trilogy actually reminds me of the last Young Avengers series- which you loved more than me- Hobbit started strong but too long in the middle with side trips that just don't matter. Hopefully it ends well though.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Even if you wanted to say not all cartoons made in Japan are anime...Spirited Away is still anime.
    Agreed and usually used as an example of anime.
    Last edited by PretenderNX01; 09-12-2014 at 02:16 AM.

Some people just fall all over themselves to act like they aren't influenced by it's politics so they praise it's "art".

I look at it as a movie that has actors in blackface eating fried chicken in office, that's just bad film-making right there.
    Loathsome isn't it. And it's because "critics" (like my horrible film studies teacher - yes I have a chip on my shoulder about it) don't understand or care about acting, or context or story; all they care about is "oh, but this was the first use of a crane shot YAWN!!!).

Must a Brit thing. I think if it as one of the quintessentially "American" movies (like It's a Wonderful Life ) and he's spot on for playing an 80s American kid (which he was). I"m not saying to mean or jingoistic, I think culture plays a part in what films "work" for people. Like, I don't think Shakespeare will ever take America by storm. LOL It doesn't mean it's inherently bad, just doesn't appeal to me in my life.
    I do very much agree culture is a huge part of it; as I explained above, Shakespeare in Love (1998) and the Social Network (2010) are very much about nostalgia and personal history.

I disagree about Shakespeare (some of the biggest plays on West End and Broadway are Shakespeare).

"Top 5 Shakespeare films"
    1. Shakespeare in Love (1998)
    2. Throne of Blood (1957)
    3. Henry V (1989)
    4. the Merchant of Venice (2004)
    5. Chimes at Midnight (1966)

Heh. The Hobbit trilogy actually reminds me of the last Young Avengers series- which you loved more than me- Hobbit started strong but too long in the middle with side trips that just don't matter. Hopefully it ends well though.
    JUDAS!!!

Agreed and usually used as an example of anime.
    For me anime is the stylized version of animation, with exaggerated expressions (SEE: below). Spirited Away is much more akin to Disney style animation (clean, cartoon realism). If you enter "anime" into google images (https://www.google.com/search?site=i...anime&imgdii=_) NOT ONE Studio Ghibli image comes up (despite being the most famous animated films from Japan). Why do you think that is?

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 09-12-2014 at 10:04 AM.

Rescuers Down Under didn't open well so Katzenburg pulled all advertisements and let it die on the vine. I feel like Disney is still tuck in that mindset a bit with it.
    Aww, that's surprising and unfortunate.
    Prεtty Pεnny

Some people just fall all over themselves to act like they aren't influenced by it's politics so they praise it's "art"....

I've never seen it; but I highly, HIGHLY doubt I would ever consider putting it in my "Top 100". It's not just about "which is the most important films" but which are the greatest films. And in that I feel content matters. And a film that glorifies the KKK... just isn't a film I will enjoy. Enjoyment is definitely part of what makes something great. That said I do agree I need to see the film, mostly just to say I have and I'm right in not including it. I also haven't seen Intolerance, so that's also on my list to watch.

Loathsome isn't it. And it's because "critics" (like my horrible film studies teacher - yes I have a chip on my shoulder about it) don't understand or care about acting, or context or story; all they care about is "oh, but this was the first use of a crane shot YAWN!!!).
    Whoa, I think that the movie is deplorable, and its message in problematic and ridiculous to me as a human being and as a black person. I look at it in a technical and surgical matter because, my feelings and emotion would hinder my objectivity. I think that's the importance of looking at something like this you cant protect yourself from content like this because it important to know what the feelings of that time were. Kind of like how the Sci-Fi films of the 50s and 60s were about the fear of nuclear war. When done properly, film is a reflection of our society in different points in history.

Kieran Frost's "100 Greatest Films"
    1. 12 angry men (1957)
    2. the Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
    3. the African Queen (1951)
    4. Андрей Рублёв (1966) ~ Andrei Rublev ~
    5. Alien (1979)
    6. All About Eve (1950)
    7. All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
    8. All the President’s Men (1976)
    9. American Beauty (1999)
    10. Apocalypse Now! (1979)
    11. Beauty and the Beast (1991)
    12. BEN-HUR (1959)
    13. Billy Elliot (2000)
    14. the Birds (1963)
    15. Black Narcissus (1947)
    16. Blade Runner: the Final Cut (1982)
    17. the Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
    18. Brief Encounter (1945)
    19. Bringing Up Baby (1938)
    20. Brokeback Mountain (2005)
    21. Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (1966) ~ the Good, the Bad and the Ugly ~
    22. Cabaret (1972)
    23. Casablanca (1942)
    24. C’era una volta il West (1968) ~ Once Upon A Time in the West ~
    25. Chicago (2002)
    26. Chinatown (1974)
    27. Cidade de Deus (2002) ~ City of God ~
    28. A Clockwork Orange (1971)
    29. Close Encounter of the Third Kind (1977)
    30. the Devils (1971)
    31. Dirty Harry (1971)
    32. Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
    33. the • Elephant • Man • (1980)
    34. the Exorcist (1973)
    35. Fargo (1996)
    36. Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994)
    37. Full Metal Jacket (1987)
    38. the Full Monty (1997)
    39. Gladiator (2000)
    40. the Godfather (1972)
    41. Gone With the Wind (1939)
    42. Gosford Park (2001)
    43. Gravity (2013)
    44. Heat (1995)
    45. the Hustler (1961)
    46. In Bruges (2008)
    47. In the Heat of the Night (1967)
    48. It Happened One Night (1934)
    49. Jaws (1975)
    50. the King of Comedy (1982)
    51. el Laberinto del fauno (2006) ~ Pan’s Labyrinth ~
    52. the Ladykillers (1955)
    53. the Lady Vanishes (1938)
    54. Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
    55. the Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943)
    56. Life of Pi (2012)
    57. the Lion In Winter (1968)
    58. Little Miss Sunshine (2006)
    59. THE LORD OF THE RINGS (2001 - 2003)
    60. M (1931)
    61. the Maltese Falcon (1941)
    62. M*A*S*H* (1970)
    63. the Matrix (1999)
    64. Mrs. Miniver (1942)
    65. Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios (1988) ~ Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown ~
    66. My Fair Lady (1964)
    67. Mystic River (2003)
    68. Network (1976)
    69. Nora Inu (1949) ~ Stray Dog ~
    70. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)
    71. On the Waterfront (1954)
    72. Ordinary People (1980)
    73. Ostre sledované vlaky (1966) ~ Closely Observed Trains ~
    74. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
    75. Rain Man (1988)
    76. Rebecca (1940)
    77. Road Warrior (1981)
    78. Secrets & Lies (1996)
    79. Sense and Sensibility (1995)
    80. Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi (2001) ~ Spirited Away ~
    81. sex, lies and videotape (1989)
    82. Shakespeare In Love (1998)
    83. the Shawshank Redemption (1993)
    84. Shichinin no samurai (1954) ~ Seven Samurai ~
    85. Short Cuts (1993)
    86. the Silence of the Lambs (1991)
    87. Singin’ in the Rain (1952)
    88. det Sjunde inseglet (1957) ~ the Seventh Seal ~
    89. the Social Network (2010)
    90. Some Like It Hot (1959)
    91. Star Wars - Episode V: the Empire Strikes Back (1980)
    92. the Terminator (1984)
    93. There Will Be Blood (2007)
    94. the Third Man (1949)
    95. To Kill A Mockingbird (1962)
    96. Touch of Evil (1958)
    97. Unforgiven (1992)
    98. When Harry Met Sally (1989)
    99. Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)
    100. Wo hu cang long (2000) ~ Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon ~

N.B. the ones in BOLD won Best Picture at the Oscars
    Have you viewed these films KF? Some of these might be to your liking.

The Lost Weekend (1945)
    Aliens (1986)
    Metropolis (1927)
    A Star Is Born (1954)
    The French Connection (1971) *The Car Chase sequence is legendary.
    Cat On A Hot Tin Roof (1958)
    Momento (2000)
    Seven (1995)
    Out Of Africa (1985)
    Marathon Man (1976)
    The Conversation (1974)
    Three Days Of The Condor (1975)

BANNED

The 2010s...of far.

Haven't seen as much new stuff as I would like, so some good stuff just might not be here because I just haven't seen it.

1. Django Unchained (Quentin Tarantino - 2012)
    2. The Master (Paul Thomas Anderson - 2012)
    3. 13 Assassins (Takashi Miike - 2010)
    4. I Saw the Devil (Kim Jee-woon - 2010)
    5. Big Bad Wolves (Aharon Keshales - 2013)
    6. Short Peace (Hiroaki Andô, Hajime Katoki, Shûhei Morita, Katsuhiro Ôtomo - 2013)
    7. Sightseers (Ben Wheatley - 2012)
    8. Toy Story 3 (Lee Unkrich - 2010)
    9. Spring Breakers (Harmony Korine - 2013)
    10. Casa de mi Padre (Matte Piedmont - 2012)
    11. Lawless (John Hillcoat - 2012)
    12. The Wind Rises (Hayao Miyazaki - 2013)
    13. Warrior (Gavin O'Connor - 2011)
    14. Enter the Void (Gaspar Noé - 2010)
    15. Our Idiot Brother (Jesse Peretz - 2011)
    16. Frances Ha (Noah Baumbach - 2013)
    17. The Snowtown Murders (Justin Kurzel - 2011)
    18. You're Next (Adam Wingard - 2013)
    19. The Act of Killing (Joshua Oppenheimer and Christine Cynn - 2012)
    20. The Hunt (Thomas Vinterberg - 2013)
    21. The Social Network (David Fincher - 2010)
    22. This is the End (Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen - 2013)
    23. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (Edgar Wright - 2010)
    24. Bernie (Richard Linklater - 2011)
    25. Mud (Jeff Nichols - 2013)
    26. City Island (Raymond De Felitta - 2010)
    27. Drinking Buddies (Joe Swanberg - 2013)
    28. Time Traveller (Masaaki Taniguchi - 2010)
    29. Burke and Hare (John Landis - 2010)
    30. The Dictator (Larry Charles - 2012)
    31. Tyrannosaur (Paddy Considine - 2011)
    32. Blue is the Warmest Color (Abdellatif Kechiche - 2013)
    33. The American (Aton Corbijn - 2010)
    34. Attack the Block (Joe Cornish - 2011)
    35. Get Him to the Greek (Nicholas Stoller - 2010)
    36. The Wolf of Wall Street (Martin Scorsese - 2013)
    37. The Gray (Joe Carnahan - 2011)
    38. The Human Centipede II (Full Sequence) (Tom Six - 2011)
    39. John Dies at the End (Don Coscarelli - 2012)
    40. Cheerful Weather for the Wedding (Donald Rice - 2012)
    41. Cyrus (Jay and Mark Duplass - 2010)
    42. 127 Hours (Danny Boyle - 2010)
    43. Super (James Gunn - 2010)
    44. The Killer Inside Me (Michael Winterbottom - 2010)
    45. Marwencol (Jeff Maimberg - 2010)
    46. Best Man Down (Ted Koland - 2012)
    47. Antiviral (Brandon Cronenberg - 2012)
    48. Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning (John Hyams - 2012)
    49. Karate-Robo Zaborgar (Noboru Iguchi - 2011)

BANNED

For me anime is the stylized version of animation, with exaggerated expressions (SEE: below). Spirited Away is much more akin to Disney style animation (clean, cartoon realism). If you enter "anime" into google images (https://www.google.com/search?site=i...anime&imgdii=_) NOT ONE Studio Ghibli image comes up (despite being the most famous animated films from Japan). Why do you think that is?

Well then for you much of what people thought of as anime up until maybe the late '90s isn't anime. Stylistically Miyazaki's stuff looks like anime, has more to do with Osamu Tezuka than Disney movies, and while he might not go to the extremes of those faces, he does exaggerated expressions...in fact he does it way more then some anime does.

Awesome questions!

Whoa, I think that the movie is deplorable, and its message in problematic and ridiculous to me as a human being and as a black person.
    Oh, HUGE apologies. My rant was not aimed at you, I am so sorry if it came off that way (mostly it was aimed at film critics/my film teacher, promise ).

I look at it in a technical and surgical matter because, my feelings and emotion would hinder my objectivity. I think that's the importance of looking at something like this you cant protect yourself from content like this because it important to know what the feelings of that time were. Kind of like how the Sci-Fi films of the 50s and 60s were about the fear of nuclear war. When done properly, film is a reflection of our society in different points in history.
    I do agree we need to remember the time period a film is set in (i.e. computer graphics might not up to modern standards BUT if it's the 50s, and it still looks good... then that should add a level of respect). Or films like Mrs. Miniver (1943) and Casablanca (1943); both about how Germany must lose, both made BEFORE Germany lost. That adds a level of power to film/monologue/speech. BUT... it doesn't (by default, at-least in my eyes) give a limitless pass. For example I was loving Kind Hearts and Cornets (1949)... and then at the end they both joyfully discuss the nursery rhyme "10 Little N***ers". For a while. N-words flying everywhere. It takes me out the film. It ruins the end, because all I'm focusing on is that. Was it meant as offensive a scene at the time? No. But IS it offensive now? Yes. And considering films (and plays) can age flawlessly in social commentary... I don't give a pass just because some haven't.

I disagree about feelings hindering film watching. We can't (and shouldn't) disengage our feelings. Films are an active medium; we need to be involved, we need to be inspired, moved, humoured. We need to be engaged at all time; and while technical aspects can and should be admired and enjoyed, a film is not made on technicalities alone. Acting, concept, plot, music, pacing; it all effects the film. Even a major misstep in just one area can take what was a great moment and ruin it. And I say the bar should be so high only "damn near perfect" should even be included in someone's "Top 100". It's possible for films to be damn near perfect, let's not lower the bar to let others in.

But this list is just my personal opinion (one that yes, I like to think is quite a well informed personal opinion), and I agree we must be objective about some apsects BUT personal taste should also matter (I previously said, for me, "greatest" is where artistic appreciation AND enjoyment meet at the apex). One of my problems with some "Greatest" lists is they are basically checking off certain films that NOT EVERYONE can possibly actually love, but ones they think should be there because everyone else says so (RE: Citizen Kane (1942)). So on some level the lists are then insincere/lies; because it's not what is the greatest but what they've been told others think are the greatest (and no-one learns from such doctrine).

Hope that makes more sense?

Have you viewed these films KF? Some of these might be to your liking.
    LOVE, love, love that you asked me this, and I hope more do. I haven't (obviously) heard or seen everything, so I'd love suggestions for what I should add to my LoveFilm pull list next.

The Lost Weekend (1945)
    Three Days Of The Condor (1975)
    I have not seen either, and now are both added to my pull list. Thank-you for the suggestions.

Aliens (1986)
    Metropolis (1927)
    A Star Is Born (1954)
    The French Connection (1971) *The Car Chase sequence is legendary.
    Cat On A Hot Tin Roof (1958)
    Momento (2000)
    Seven (1995)
    Out Of Africa (1985)
    Marathon Man (1976)
    The Conversation (1974)
    All of these I have seen.

Aliens and Se7en used to not only be in my "Top 100" but my "Top 10". I bumped both out of the overall list. Se7en I adore BUT everything it has to say or do is covered by Stray Dog (1949) (roughly the same film plot, style and concept, just less serial killers) and the Silence of the Lambs (1991). And Aliens... it was only after my dear friend watched it with me (for the first time) that I realised how BAD some of the dialogue is. It's still an amazing film, but it's certainly VERY flawed in the dialogue. The Conversation was once in my "Top 100"; and it is awesome... but it's very slow, and truthfully my desire to watch it again is... limited (and how can I have a movie in my "Top 100" I don't really want to watch?)

Metropolis I've only seen the "scenes missing" version. And I just can't put a film in with giant chunks (IMPORTANT chunks) missing. That's not fair. So many films are close to perfection, if only a scene or two was absent. How can I know if the scenes missing ruin the film? As a theatre person, I adore Cat on a Hot Tin Roof BUT... as a theatre person, the change to the end PISSES ME OFF!!! Marathon Man, Out of Africa and Memento are all awesome, just (for me) not masterpieces.

I've seen A Star Is Born with Garland and Mason, is that the 1954 one? I know there have been numerous remakes off the film, I have no idea which was the first (or which is meant to be the best). And the car chase in the French Connection is indeed amazing, but the film never tops that moment. You can't have the best bit in the middle, because it's only downhill from then on (e.g. Magnolia (1999) or Wall.E. (2008) suffer a similar flaw).
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 09-13-2014 at 02:32 PM.