View Poll Results: Which film (from KF's "Top 10 Favourite Films") do you enjoy most?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. THE LORD OF THE RINGS (2001 - 2003)

41 35.04%
  • 2. the Silence of the Lambs (1991)

14 11.97%
  • 3. Apocalypse Now! (1979)

7 5.98%
  • 4. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)

9 7.69%
  • 5. Singin’ in the Rain (1952)

9 7.69%
  • 6. Blade Runner (1982)

22 18.80%
  • 7. C’era una volta il West (1968)

3 2.56%
  • 8. the Third Man (1949)

5 4.27%
  • 9. BEN-HUR (1959)

3 2.56%
  • 10. Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi (2001)

4 3.42%
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Flora - Dorthy
    Fauna - Rose
    Merryweather - Sophia
    I guess that makes Maleficent - Blanche?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    [I]FAUNA: Two tisps.... tisps, tisps, tisps.
    I still like to read it as tisps when I bake.

BTW

And for Starleafgirl, I found this on Deviant Art
    Last edited by PretenderNX01; 09-20-2014 at 03:35 AM.

You are hilarious, good sir!

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Flora - Dorthy
    Fauna - Rose
    Merryweather - Sophia
    Ohhhhh... I love this, I want someone to do this as a spoof. It would be HILARIOUS!!! By the way, have you seen the acapella guy singing his own version of the Disney songs? (there are four of him, and he does it all).

I still like to read it as tisps when I bake.
    HAHAHA! I do EXACTLY the same thing, it always brings a smile to my face. See, we do have similarities

BTW

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

I do think Fauna gets the best jokes.

FAUNA: Two tisps.... tisps, tisps, tisps.
    MERRYWEATHER: Two TEAS SPOONS!!!
    FAUNA: Oh, two teaspoons, hahaha, of course.
    Haha, yeah! Not to mention THIS: I love THIS!

Flora - Dorthy
    Fauna - Rose
    Merryweather - Sophia
    Oh. My. Gosh.

You're totally right! Haha.

And for Starleafgirl, I found this on Deviant Art
    http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs11/f/20...rum_femina.jpg
    D'aww, thanks! <3

Ohhhhh... I love this, I want someone to do this as a spoof. It would be HILARIOUS!!! By the way, have you seen the acapella guy singing his own version of the Disney songs? (there are four of him, and he does it all).
    I haven't. How interesting, though!

Dear me. Can't you two ever get along?

(Lolololol.)
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    Haha, yeah! Not to mention THIS: I love THIS!
    THIS!!! Oh, I forget that moment too. I prefer Flora (she's a bad-ass spell caster), but Fauna is easily the funniest one.

I haven't. How interesting, though!
    Treat yourself, bo!

Dear me. Can't you two ever get along?

(Lolololol.)
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I have ZERO problem with us becoming the Three Good Faeries of CBR!!!

Treat yourself, bo!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I have ZERO problem with us becoming the Three Good Faeries of CBR!!!
    Oh wait, I have seen that! Haha! I remembered the Mulan one the most. So great.

I agree, we totally could be the three good faeries of CBR, spreading fashion sense and snark to all. ;D
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg

PHILOMENA (2013) [nom.]
    dir. Stephen Frears
    writer. adapted from the Lost Child of Philomena Lee by Martin Sixsmith [nom.]
    Starring: Dame Judi Dench [nom.], Steve Coogan and Anna Maxwell Martin

ONE SENTENCE SYNOPSIS: journalist (and shamed ex-Labour party adviser) Martin Sixsmith (Coogan) is drawn to the story of Philomena Lee (Dench), a woman who is searching for her son, taken away and sold decades early by Catholic nuns at the Sean Ross Abbey in Ireland.

THOUGHTS: my major thoughts are about the controversy. A lot of people protested the "anti-Catholic" sentiment of the film; and MY GOD don't read the ignorance on IMDB's message board about the film. And I have to ask: what anti-Catholic sentiment? Philomena is a Catholic! She is in embodiment of forgiveness and faith. There were several nuns (even in the flashbacks) who showed warmth and understanding. Yes, the mother superior was a monster, and? Are we not allowed to show some bad apples? The film doesn't paint all Catholics as the same, in fact Martin Sixsmith's clear anti-religious mentality is specifically mocked and shown as negative and prejudice. But anyway... I loved it. Dench is flawless, just perfect as Philomena. She doesn't shy away from her naivity (or even lack of education), but she always does it with warmth and sincerity. Coogan is bearable, even good (not something I've ever said about him before); and the film has the right level of pathos and indignity to balance out the very raw emotions. It doesn't give us the closure we want (everyone back-handing mother superior until she begs for forgiveness) but that's a GOOD thing. It's more real, it's more human. The trip to New York did make me reminisce about "Crocodile" Dundee (1986) for some reason

OVERALL
    A beautifully understated film, with an effortless central performance by Dame Judi Dench. What could have so easily slipped into sentimentality, it is elevated by the performances and seamless directing. A wonderful film, heartfelt and true.
    ~ rating: 4 out of 5 [grade: B+]

the TRUE Departed!

INFERNAL AFFAIRS (2002)
    #30 in Empire magazine's "100 Best Films of World Cinema"
    dir. Andrew Lau & Alan Mak
    writer. Alan Mak & Felix Chong
    Starring: Andy Lau, Tony Leung, Anthony Wong and Eric Tsang

ONE SENTENCE SYNOPSIS: Chan Wing-yan (Leung) is a police officer infiltrating a Triad (transnational organised crime)/Lau Kin-ming (Lau) is a Triad member, planted inside the police force; a war is coming...

THOUGHTS: Three things: a) Andy Lau and Andrew Lau are NOT the same person b) this is the film that beat Hero (2002) at the Hong Kong Film Awards (even though Hero got the nod for "Best Foreign Film" at the Oscars, over this one), and c) the Departed (2006) should NOT, on any level, have won Best Picture. It's almost criminal! The Departed lifted everything from this film; minus three things. The Departed was longer, even though it tells the same story with the same beats (a Scorsese film that is too long... what a shocker! ). The Departed added an insipid love triangle, that no-one cared about. The Departed gave us a more "comfortable" ending by shooting Matt Damon dead at the end. This film is soooooooooo much better. Yes, Jack Nicholson wipes the floor with Eric Tsang. Yes, it's much funnier than this film (thanks mostly to Mark Wahlberg and Alec Baldwin). But it's 'essence' is theft. It cheapened the point of the film by changing the ending. The downside... I wasn't captivated, because the Departed point-by-point copied the plot (so I had little to excite me or keep me on the edge of my seat). It would be like watching Yojimbo (1961) AFTER watching A Fistful of Dollars (1964); it's so similar there is nothing to grab your attention. There is one major scene the Departed didn't steal (which is odd, because it was the best scene of the film; so underplayed yet said EVERYTHING simultaneously) was the scene in the music shop, where Chan and Lau meet (yet not knowing who the other is). They just talk about stereos, share a piece of music together in silence, and find connection and respect as strangers. It had all the tension and greatness of the diner scene in Heat (1995). And, not that it matters, but Andy Lau is so beautiful every shot with him was thrilling!

OVERALL
    If you love the Departed, you owe it to yourself to see this, the original, more daring and more truthful film about a crooked cop and undercover mole. The directing is less flashy (in a good way), but the entire story is more sincere. An excellent film.
    ~ rating: 4 out of 5 [grade: A-]

FUN FACTS: the theme song "Infernal Affairs" is sung in Cantonese by Andy Lau and Tony Leung (both have successful/independent music careers in real life).
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 09-29-2014 at 12:02 PM.

Thumbs up Worst film I've seen this year...

LOLITA (1962)
    dir. Stanley Kubrick
    writer. adapted by Vladimir Nabokov from his novel of the same name [nom.]
    Starring: James Mason, Shelley Winters, Sue Lyons and Peter Sellers

ONE SENTENCE SYNOPSIS: British Prof. Humbert Humbert (Mason) has found summer lodging with an overbearing widow Charlotte Haze (Winters) before his job starts in the Fall; and is going to decline the offer until he spies her teenager daughter, Dolores (Lyons) sunbathing in the garden... and agrees to rent the room.

THOUGHTS: the film starts incredibly strong. A fantastic showdown between James Mason and Peter Sellers, in the trashed eccentric's house; where the viewer has absolutely no idea why they are at odds; both dramatic and comedic in equal parts. Everything after that is just... wrong. Oh, where to begin? Well, first of all I wish to emphatically highlight the moment where Quilty (Sellers) shows up "disguised" as Dr. Zempf is when I knew this was pretty much a worthless script. So much was 'on-the-nose': Lolita is sent to "Camp Climax", Quilty's silent female companion is "Miss Darkbloom", the hospital receptionist is "Miss Fromkiss". UGH! I just don't know what I'm supposed to take from this film??? Humbert (partially due to James Mason) is probably the most likeable character in the film. Is that intentional? Didn't Kubrick realise he'd crafted the performances that way? And what kind of messages does that send? From the pathetically loathsome Shelley Winters (a woman willing to cast aside her daughter in seconds for a man who shows her nothing but indifference), to the bizarre neighbour both flirting shamelessly with Humbert while ALSO telling him some neighbours think his relationship with his "daughter" is scandalous. REALLY, love? So... he's possibly a pedo, but you'd still shag him??? Honestly, I just don't know what I was expecting. I knew the rough idea of the story, but assumed it was much more about his psychological lusting and how that affects someone rather than actual achievement of his goals. Are we meant to like Lolita? Feel sorry for her mother? I mean you can make the point that not all predators are the clearly socially creepy outsiders like in M (1931); that they can be charming, can be "normal" in their outward demeanour but still be predators nonetheless. But why is everyone so horrible? What message does that send? At times during Humbert's arguments with Lolita it feels the 'concept' is "relationships with under-age people don't work because they are unreasonable and childish" when obviously far more pressing issues should be explored. We never really know what Lolita thinks of it all. We never even know how Humbert feels about his new found feelings. Has this happened before? Does he not find his sudden attraction for a minor concerning (beyond his "oh how deliciously mischievous this makes me feel")? I just... ugh! Horrible, horrible film. Mason and Sellers are both "good" in what the script gives, and James Bond's Lois Maxwell is very good in her minor role. But ultimately I think this is a worthless film; not worth anyone's time. Horrible, horrible, horrible!!!

OVERALL
    Unlikeable characters, bizarre plot shifts and a confusing "message"; this just is not for me. My least favourite Kubrick film by a long way; absent of his usual flare and surprisingly lacking in underlying psychology. A huge disappointment; and just horribly unsettling to boot.
    ~ rating: 1 out of 5 [grade: D]

LOLITA (1962)
    Well, if you're gonna watch that, you should compare it to this...

NOTE: I haven't seen the full movie. I don't think I could watch something that provocative, personally. Agreed about unsettling. O.o

Unless you just can't stand the thought of another Lolita, hahaha. I wouldn't blame you.
    Prεtty Pεnny

BANNED

The Showtime Lolita from the '90s?

Beauty and... more beauty!

LA BELLE ET LA BÊTE (1946) ~ Beauty and the Beast ~
    #26 in Empire magazine's "100 Best Films of World Cinema"
    dir. Jean Cocteau
    writer. adapted from the fairytale of the same name by Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont
    Starring: Jean Marais, Josette Day, Marcel André and Michel Auclair

ONE SENTENCE SYNOPSIS: a poverty stricken merchant (André) must give up his beautiful third daughter, Belle (Day) to live in the castle of the Beast (Marais) after he was caught picking a rose from the Beast's garden.

THOUGHTS: generally seeing the original (often foreign) film that inspired the Western hit makes me angry (SEE: post #83 Infernal Affairs (2002)); but in this rare case my love of Disney's Beauty and the Beast (1991) (heavily influenced by the plot and idea of this film) merely added to the joy (and even made me more forgiving of some magical moments, understandably limited by the technology available in the 40s). I love seeing the inspirations. The candlestick arms clearly evolved into the character of Lumière; they use the idea of the heroine being called Belle; Gaston is inspired by Belle's suitor Avenant; and the visuals of the Beast is very much taken from this film (nearly identical, in fact). There are some surprising difference too. Here Belle has two older sisters; and for a while the film feels more akin to a Cinderella story (Belle is made to cook and clean while the sisters dress lavishly) and they are the main "villains" of the piece (I assume they became the three blonde triplets in love with Gaston). I adore the creativity we see here. The Beast's enchanted castle is... well, magical. From the hallway of arms holding candlesticks (surely that inspired Angels in America dream sequence?), to the smoking mouths of the faces in the fireplace. There are no walls; there is merely specific set pieces in a blurry, black abyss; which adds to the enchantment and other-worldly nature of his castle. Belle's room doesn't have a forth wall, but a cloth like barriers shelter her from outside. It's all stunning. There are a few weakness. I dislike "apology" Cocteau puts at the start of the film, it wasn't needed and it cheapens his achievements. The ATROCIOUS flying off into the sky at the end was the very worst way to end this film (think: Grease (1978) and you'll realise how BAD it was). And while I got used to both the look of the Beast and his rather gentle voice, I felt a slower/more cautious introduction to the elaborate make-up (more shadows and darkness for a while, till we get used to it) would have made the first initial appearance less silly. And I wasn't entirely sold on the oddness of the Beast changeling-ing into an Avenant-esq human as the finale. Yes, it's the same actor (and kudos, he was excellent as both) BUT the justification didn't work for me. The weird "Diana's arrow" made little sense; nor did Belle's "I always loved him" explanation.

OVERALL
    A stunningly original film; as enchanting as it is bold. Wonderful performances all round (esp. by the sublimely beautiful Josette Day; who's Belle is neither weak nor bashful). The strong directing mixed in which some gorgeous costumes and make-up result in a sinful, yet wonderful treat. Let down slightly by a weak, even silly, final act.
    ~ rating: 4 out of 5 [grade: A-]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MAGIC MIKE (2012)
    dir. Steven Soderbergh
    writer. Reid Carolin
    Starring: Channing Tatum, Alex Pettyfer, Matt Bomer, Joe Manganiello, and Matthew McConaughey

ONE SENTENCE SYNOPSIS: Adam (Pettyfer), a 19-year-old construction worker who enters the world of male stripping, lead by the complex Dallas (McConaughey) and guided by his best friend Mike Lane (Tatum), who has been in the business for six years.

THOUGHTS: Dayummmmm! No, honestly it's pretty pointless (emphasis on the pretty). I have NO idea what I'm meant to feel, other than a boner now and again. Yes, it's nice that they got some of the hottest guys in Hollywood to disrobe for this (not that the film has any full frontal); but really what's the point? I can try and look at the technical; praise the excellent director that is Soderbergh, say how it has good pace, and inventive narrative style. AND I can applaud Matthew McConaughey because he is fantasticish; giving as much depth and character to a rather generic role. But really the film exists to showcase male stripper; the art long since went out the window. They add a drug plot to try and be more than "just" strippers, and that's all well and good, but it's hardly original. I mean drugs... in the sex industry... groundbreaking. And, when it comes to dancing... really the only two believable strippers are Tatum (who moves FANTASTICALLY, truly sexual) and McConaughey. The others do their best, and bless Matt Bomer he really does try but.... awwwwww, the thought of that sweet guy being a stripper is silly. He has no rhyme. It's very noticeable when they are all on stage, similar to seeing Catherine Zeta-Jones and Renee Zellweger dancing together in Chicago (2002); you can clearly see the one who is trained in dance and the one who just learnt the moves. It flows through the body differently; there is an ease and comfortability that cannot be learnt for one scene.

OVERALL
    Ultimately this is a film about strippers; and it just doesn't hold any weight. Despite the director's best efforts and a fantastic performance by Matthew Mcconaughey, in the end it's just fluff. Hot, sexy fluff, without question. Honestly, see if for a cheap thrill, but really... it's kind of pointless.
    ~ rating: 2 out of 5 [grade: C-]

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 10-08-2014 at 08:43 AM.

Awesome list! I've seen a large portion of your top hundred. Nothing I'd really debate except I think John Michael McDonagh's Calvary (2014) should get a spot on the list if/when you see it. I went in expecting the same wit and humor that made The Guard, but was unprepared for the emotional material that was mixed in as well. I actually had to re-watch it later the same day because after the first viewing, I couldn't form coherent thoughts due to emotional overload. I'm glad In Bruges is on your list and it had been my reigning champion in terms of McDonagh film making, but I am convinced Calvary is a deeper slice of the same cake.

As for Magic Mike, fun story: 3 friends and I were dared to go see that movie in theaters and we did (but only because the daring party paid for our tickets). We were running a bit late and when we entered the theater, we received a standing ovation from the rest of the audience for being the only 4 men in attendance for that particular showing.

I may post a list of my all-time faves if I find the courage; I don't think most of my choices are particularly classy unfortunately, but I am endeavoring to work on that!
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE (2000)
    dir. E. Elias Merhige
    writer. Steven Katz
    Starring: John Malkovich, Cary Elwes, Eddie Izzard, Catherine McCormack and Willem Dafoe [nom.]

ONE SENTENCE SYNOPSIS: a fictional "account" of the filming of Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens (1922); a German silent film about Count Dracula (renamed Count Orlok due to copyright issues)... but here "actor" Max Schrek (Dafoe) is actually a vampire found by obsessed director Dr. F. W. Murnau (Malkovich) to make the perfect film.

THOUGHTS: I love the concept, the idea behind the film is wonderful. It's incredibly original and exciting. Alas though, the execution was just so ham-fisted. The "subtly" of concept annoyed me, falling just shy of having someone scream "my god man, the lengths a director will do to achieve his masterpiece"... it really couldn't have hit you over the head with it any harder. The film also plays the horror card too early; it should have slow built to it, to give greater impact for the end. The main redeeming factor is Willem Dafoe's incredible performance. Honestly, I couldn't distinguish between his moments and Max Shreck's work; completely engrossing. But overall the film is lazy. The directing is very pretentious while also being very unoriginal in how moments are shot. I haven't seen Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens; but this film made me want to track it down (I just felt like I was getting a poor man's version of that film). Also I didn't like that they never even tried to tackle the "paradox" of how a vampire that casts no reflection in mirrors is able to show up on film. That was lazy. Lastly, it wins my award "Completely Unnecessary Nude Female" (or CUNF). Did she need to have her **** out for an opium trance? I swear, across the plethora of films and TV shows, I've never heard of Sherlock Holmes swinging his c*ck back and forth while in a drug educed haze.

OVERALL
    A great concept, badly handled; but redeemed by a career best performance by Willam Dafoe. See it for his incredible performance, but ultimately it's not worthy for anything else. Rather than remaking classics; someone should remake this film. There is so much untapped potential.
    ~ rating: 2 out of 5 [grade: C-]

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Awesome list! I've seen a large portion of your top hundred. Nothing I'd really debate except I think John Michael McDonagh's Calvary (2014) should get a spot on the list if/when you see it. I went in expecting the same wit and humor that made The Guard, but was unprepared for the emotional material that was mixed in as well. I actually had to re-watch it later the same day because after the first viewing, I couldn't form coherent thoughts due to emotional overload. I'm glad In Bruges is on your list and it had been my reigning champion in terms of McDonagh film making, but I am convinced Calvary is a deeper slice of the same cake.
    I haven't seen Calvary, but want to; I think Brendan Gleeson is a fantastic actor. I've heard great things; and will snatch it up when it's £3 in Fopp. Thanks for the recommendation, that's one of the points of this thread, to bring new films to people who might not have seen or heard of them.

I may post a list of my all-time faves if I find the courage; I don't think most of my choices are particularly classy unfortunately, but I am endeavoring to work on that!
    YEY! And don't worry or focus on whether it's "classy or not." Everyone has to start somewhere, and cinema is subjective. There is no "right" opinion.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 10-13-2014 at 01:29 AM.

Ok, so I thought I’d post my list. As Kieran said, cinema is subjective and there is no “right” opinion. I’ve seen hundreds of movies and those that made this list are favorites of mine for a variety of reasons. However, I should note that most of the films I’ve seen are from the 90s onward. I have only seen a handful of “older” films and almost no foreign films, despite working at an art house theater (I have a really difficult time focusing on films where I have to read subtitles, so because it’s hard for me, I shy away from foreign films).

The films in my list may not necessarily be high-quality cinema, but if it’s on my list, it’s there because some aspect of it genuinely captivated me. For example, I give Titanic as much **** as the next person, but it’s on my list solely because of the musical score James Horner composed for it. Since I don’t really have time to write out why each film made it onto the list, if anyone is curious about one, you can just ask me. Here’s the list:

007 James Bond film series (Skyfall being my favorite)
    28 Days Later
    Alien
    American Gangster
    Anna Karenina (Joe Wright version)
    Atonement
    Attack the Block
    “Before” Trilogy (Richard Linklater’s Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, Before Midnight)
    Blue Valentine
    Boyhood
    The Cabin in the Woods
    Calvary
    Casablanca
    The Cornetto Trilogy (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, The World’s End)
    The Dark Knight Trilogy
    Dragonheart
    Elizabeth
    The English Patient
    Fargo
    Flashbacks of a Fool
    Friday Night Lights
    Fruitvale Station
    Gangs of New York
    Gladiator
    Glorious 39
    Godzilla film series (my favorite being the original 1954 film)
    Good Will Hunting
    The Guard
    Hanna
    Heat
    In Bruges
    In The Loop
    Iron Man
    It’s Kind of a Funny Story
    Jurassic Park
    The Kids Are All Right
    Killing Them Softly
    Kill Your Darlings
    Kingdom of Heaven (Director’s Cut)
    L.A. Confidential
    The Last Samurai
    Letters From Iwo Jima
    The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
    Like Crazy
    The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    Love Actually
    The Manchurian Candidate
    Munich
    Never Let Me Go
    One Hour Photo
    Pirate Radio
    The Place Beyond the Pines
    Primal Fear
    The Reader
    The Remains of the Day
    Requiem for a Dream
    Seven
    Seven Psychopaths
    The Silence of the Lambs
    The Spectacular Now
    State of Play
    The Strangers
    Super
    The Tailor of Panama
    The Talented Mr. Ripley
    There Will Be Blood
    Titanic
    The Wackness
    Warrior
    The Wolfman (original 1930s film)
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

As for Magic Mike, fun story: 3 friends and I were dared to go see that movie in theaters and we did (but only because the daring party paid for our tickets). We were running a bit late and when we entered the theater, we received a standing ovation from the rest of the audience for being the only 4 men in attendance for that particular showing.
    Nah, the ladies were hoping someone had hired strippers for that showing.