Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desean101101 View Post
    But the Amazons Abandoned the Great mission a long time ago. and they near Immortal. She most likely used the Mission temple as a base as she acted as an Assassin. You are thinking way to narrow about all this to justify your point of view.
    She says she was the Amazons' chosen assassin "until" they abandoned their great mission--and yes, that was a long time ago. Why only "until"? Evidently, once the Amazons abandoned the mission and started hiding from the world, they had little no or need for an assassin, and Myrina wouldn't have been allowed to spend a lot of time in an Athenian "mission temple" protecting the world.

But, a long time after that, Myrina took up the mission again, solo, and left the island; she says she has been protecting the mission temple (or the modern world of glass and steel --which, by the way, wouldn't even have existed hundreds of years ago) "for decades." One doesn't say one
    "has been [doing something] for decades" if one has been doing it for hundreds of years, or if one did it hundred of years ago and then stopped. So her modern, solo version of the Amazons' mission is distinct from the original, ancient version, in which she had been the Amazons' chosen assasin.

If she began her modern mission enough "decades" ago, could she have been, in some ways, the equivalent of WWII Wonder Woman (except that she was an anti-hero)? Sure. But if so, it sounds like Diana may have been born earlier than we thought, since she was born on the same day Myrina left the island and embarked on this modern mission. Another possibility is this Red Panzer (like the second and third versions in old continuity) is/was a neo-nazi operating in more recent decades.

ETA--Here's something I think would work: time passes slowly, and maybe erratically, on Paradise Island relative to time in the rest of the world. So, Diana was born on the same night as Myrina left, but, during the 18 years or so that Diana spent growing up on the island, Myrina experienced at least 75 years of world history. This could help explain several things, including the Amazons' apparent agelessness, why that ageless ness (acconding to Soule's SM/WW depends on their not living away from the island, and their slow technological and social development. It would also mean there have been fewer "raids" than we thought, if every 30 years by the Amazons' reckoning is more like every 90 years by the reckoning of the world. I have no idea whether this is what Johns has in mind, but I think I want it to be.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 07-22-2015 at 02:57 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Nice to see that somebody actually remembers that the lasso is not just for grabbing people and tossing them around.

"Batgod". Heh.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Nice to see that somebody actually remembers that the lasso is not just for grabbing people and tossing them around.

"Batgod". Heh.

Agreed. The truth inducing properties of the lasso have been used far too little in the New 52.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aula_Magna View Post
    Assuming that Geoff Johns and Charles Soule abided the same set of norms but they probably didn't. Whatever Soule established in Superman/Wonder Woman has little to no bearing in Justice League. Like the amazons being a peacekeeping corps created by the Gods is probably not what Azzarello was going with, the Wonderverse is a disorderly mess, don't waste your time making sense of it
    Amen! And what a mess it is. Power levels all over the place (especially amazons), and Diana's powers all over the place.

Different costumes, powers, bracelets, power levels. A mess.

And let's not even mention characterization. Soule gave us a powerful confident amazon and the Finches give us a warrior(?) worried about bugs in her hair.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    Good issue. Batman taking Metron's chair was fun, and from the look of it there'll be more from where that came from. More wild stuff.

I really dig the focus on Diana and Scott in this story as well. Seems like it'll explore boths' backgrounds.

As for inconsistencies. Doesn't bother me much. Story over continuity. Especially with the multi-multiversity (Grant Morrison's word for it) thing that's going on. And besides, Superman without 5D imps or loss of powers, all the shenanigans going on in the Batman titles or some adjustments/changes to Diana's background: that doesn't change much who they are and what they're about.

Btw. Seems like Superman and Wonder Woman's "thing" isn't that much of a focus in this JLA story?
    The whole multi-multiversity thing is what caused DC to produce the original crisis books.

The DC universe had become a mess which made fans turn from DC to marvel.

DC just can't seem to avoid this mistake. There is more respect given to the creators over the characters. This is essentially disrespect to the characters and fans. Writers who choose to disregard continuity are just lazy and have no respect for the readership.

This explains dc's relative failure in comparison to marvel.

Keep on making the same mistakes you made in the past and you will reap what you deserve.

The whole multi-multiversity thing is what caused DC to produce the original crisis books.
    And in the long run it fixed nothing and only resulted in a lot of cool concepts being lost.

The DC universe had become a mess which made fans turn from DC to marvel.
    Marvel is just as big a mess if not moreso. The return of the multiverse has absolutely nothing to do with Marvel beating them out, as they've been beating them for ages, well before the Multiverse's return. Your history is off.

If you prefer a tight continuity fine, but history does not support your claims that lessening it up a bit is any sort of major issue. In point of fact if you really want to look at things honestly, its the opposite. DC's brightest days were when continuity wasn't that big a deal.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-22-2015 at 04:32 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    And in the long run it fixed nothing and only resulted in a lot of cool concepts being lost.

Marvel is just as big a mess if not moreso. The return of the multiverse has absolutely nothing to do with Marvel beating them out, as they've been beating them for ages, well before the Multiverse's return. Your history is off.

If you prefer a tight continuity fine, but history does not support your claims that lessening it up a bit is any sort of major issue. In point of fact if you really want to look at things honestly, its the opposite. DC's brightest days were when continuity wasn't that big a deal.
    Potatoes potato, but DC created crisis to organize a mess.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisis_on_Infinite_Earths

They are recreating the same mess again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by edgar5203 View Post

DC never learn

Quote Originally Posted by edgar5203 View Post

I know what the Crisis was designed to do. The point is it didn't succeed. It just created more messes in place of the original mess. And they were still being beaten by Marvel. Potatoes potato? No, its just that your assertions are all factually inaccurate.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-22-2015 at 06:34 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    DC never learn
    They did learn, in point of fact. Thats' why the multiverse was brought back in the first place in 2006. Clutterearth fixed nothing and they finally realized that. Why do you think as the years wore on they started jumping through hoops desperately trying to find new ways to bring back good old concepts that the Crisis killed off, or introduced things such as Hypertime? Because the singular Earth model that the Crisis created was unsustainable. Finally they had the good sense to just bring back the original idea that worked.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-22-2015 at 06:35 PM.

Amazing Member

They did learn, in point of fact. Thats' why the multiverse was brought back in the first place in 2006. Clutterearth fixed nothing and they finally realized that. Why do you think as the years wore on they started jumping through hoops desperately trying to find new ways to bring back good old concepts that the Crisis killed off, or introduced things such as Hypertime? Because the singular Earth model that the Crisis created was unsustainable. Finally they had the good sense to just bring back the original idea that worked.

Not sure how this mistake is working. WW is a completely new character with the same monicker. Sales horrendous.

DC in shambles both fan wise and media wise.

How can anyone defend this mess?

How can anyone like things that you don't like? You really are confused by that concept?

As far as being in shambles...well just because you say something doesn't make it so. Give some examples. How is it in shambles fan-wise? Books are selling. How is it in shambles media wise? Outside of its two popular television shows, a third on the way, a lucrative animation department, and an upstart film continuity. Anyone can throw out words. Back it up.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-22-2015 at 06:51 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    Good issue. Batman taking Metron's chair was fun, and from the look of it there'll be more from where that came from. More wild stuff.

I really dig the focus on Diana and Scott in this story as well. Seems like it'll explore boths' backgrounds.

As for inconsistencies. Doesn't bother me much. Story over continuity. Especially with the multi-multiversity (Grant Morrison's word for it) thing that's going on. And besides, Superman without 5D imps or loss of powers, all the shenanigans going on in the Batman titles or some adjustments/changes to Diana's background: that doesn't change much who they are and what they're about.

Btw. Seems like Superman and Wonder Woman's "thing" isn't that much of a focus in this JLA story?
    it isn't even mentioned

It doesn't need to be, its not relevant to this story. At least not yet. Maybe it will later, or maybe it won't.

Amazing Member

How can anyone like things that you don't like? You really are confused by that concept?

As far as being in shambles...well just because you say something doesn't make it so. They're not in shambles. The entire comic industry isn't what it used to be, but your hyperbole is just that.
    Not sure what this means.

My opinion is that DC never stuck to the multiverse fix and its one of the reasons they are failing.

Not an azzarelo fan, but he redefined wonder woman. Why not build on it and force the new writer to do so?

what this newoutfit confirms is that DC is a mess (includes Superman).