Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chinese Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    Really? As an Indian-American myself, I only saw a total of three other Indian-Americans at the convention I attended last week. I know that Asian-Americans are becoming a larger presence in geek culture, but their presence only seems to currently be strong in areas such as anime and manga.
    Which city are you from? I think you'll see more at conventions in bigger metropolitan areas. I saw so many Indian-Americans(Canadians) at a fan expo here last month. But then again, that's Fan Expo so there were a ton of people there.

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    Which city are you from?
    I'm from Houston.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Why would you assume that? If you ever go to a comic con or fan expo you'll see tons of asian people there. How would CBR be any different?
    I live in Arkansas, I guess I'm use to being the only Asian that likes comics in these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
    I live in Arkansas, I guess I'm use to being the only Asian that likes comics in these parts.
    Does Arkansas have a large Asian population?
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    Does Arkansas have a large Asian population?
    Yes, due to the university of Arkansas being here where I live, we have lots of international students, but I'm hard pressed to find any that is into comics, all my friends are white with a few exceptions.

BANNED

Well you're right, they're just little kids, they don't know any better. But I guess what really got to me is that all those kids thought I knew karate or something and would try and fight me, I got beat up a lot, but that's just how little kids are.
    They're just that... kids. And I'll repeat: Who gives about a shit about moronic racists or racial name-callers in school or any part of real-life? I'd just casually avoid or ignore them, especially if I can, and move on.

I mean look at my old church where I used to go to for after-school and summer-camp up until 10 years ago... it's nothing but chinese (and still is), but did being in a group or community comprised solely of our own race/ethnicity in the world's biggest immigrant country do wonders for me and made me get along with everyone with not a single person badmouthing me or giving me crap? I sure as hell didn't think so. Quite the opposite, even though there are still some okay or decent people. Even in my elementary school and junior high school (both of which are often mostly hispanic and black, some or few asians but indian even less, and ironically have very little non-hispanic or non-jewish white people), I get along with many people much better and there were a bit more or equally as much instances of people being friendly with me as there are just idiots and assholes. With the exception of 7th Grade and maybe 9th Grade of course. Boy those were like the worst school years for me.

For the longest time I thought that Tien Long and I were the only Asians "ever" to frequent these boards, but I guess there are more Asians that enjoy comics as much as I do. Man, and here I thought I was unique.....
    Well you thought wrong, brother.

And don't forget Cosmic Eagle. And FalconX2000. From the rumbles section. Too bad I don't see the former coming on anymore. :'(
    Last edited by Expletive Deleted; 06-01-2014 at 06:24 AM.

I'm saddened that you guys experienced racism and bullying in your childhood. I'm of Chinese descent and I came to Toronto, Canada back when I was in kindergarten. I had an awesome childhood. I think I only had experience 1, maybe 2 instances from another kid making a racial slur. But this was someone I didn't know in the playground and that was pretty much it.

I went to an elementary school where there were probably 3 or 4 asians in the whole school. I generally got along with everyone really well from all races. My first girlfriend was an Indian girl in grade 2. She's so cute, she gave me one of her ring she got at the little gumball machine haha, This was our boyfriend and girlfriend ring. Damn I wished I kept it to this day, it would for sure be my most prized possession with the most sentimental value My very best friend was also Indian (from Pakistan). I loved my childhood, I played a lot of sports with the boys and I got along great with the little girls hehe. I remember going to a girl's birthday party where I was the only little boy invited in the whole school. Yeah, I loved my childhood I'd give anything to go back, so many great memories. I cherish my childhood so much.

When I got to grade 6-8, I lived in little Italy so the school was pretty much all Italians (about 80%+). When I got to highschool, the school was all African-Americans (85%+), there were at most 8 asians in the whole high school. All this time I never once experienced any form of racism or bullying whatsoever. I think part of the reason is I really got along very well with everyone and was actively making friends. Funny thing is I fit the asian stereotype too while I was in school. I had straight A's, I was captain of the chess club and I also played a ton of sports too. I never actually had any problems fitting in with different cliques. It wasn't until I hit university that I started dating asian (chinese) girls. Maybe it was the way I grew up but I've always dated white and Indian girls and was never really fond of chinese girls.

Maybe I'm lucky as a kid I experience practically no instances of racism or bullying whatsoever, I know kids can be cruel.

Ummm... I did not mean for this to become a tear jerker kind of thing... (I was going to say circle jerk but thought better of it). Im a grown ass man, I'm really not butt hurt about it anymore. But I appreciate the sentimental thought guys.

Sorry, was rambling on while reminiscing. Asian style circle jerk FTW!

Sorry, was rambling on while reminiscing. Asian style circle jerk FTW!
    Laugh out loud!!!

Extraordinary Member

I found some Street Fighter ex 2 comics printed in Hong Kong. I'm really liking the series but I'm wondering where I can get more of these can't find any online either.

I was and still am a fan of the old Jademan Comics. I still have issues of Oriental Hero's and Force of Buddha's Palm. It takes me back to a great time in my childhood.

BANNED

Hey guys sorry I was gone... I was banished to hell by the wrath of the mods for a week for saying the "f" word that doesn't rhyme with "duck" in this thread.

Anyways, where was I...?

@Groo Odyssey: That's quite a story you got there, sir. I even have a friend who's interestingly half-Indian and half-Jewish. Even more back on topic, so you're from Toronto? That means you're a Chinese Canadian (i was going to say "canuck", but I don't want to risk myself getting banned again for saying a word that I didn't direct to anyone in this thread) I take it? Cool...

edit - cool it's my 66th post.
    Last edited by Bullet Sniper; 06-08-2014 at 09:29 PM.

Ha, interesting to see this post. I regret to say that even though I'm living in Hong Kong, I don't know much about the native Hong Kong manhua scene, which is a shame. Hong Kong has a LONG history of comics, with tons of characters and stories which are still popular amongst the locals. Riding the MTR, I often catch someone reading an issue of the latest Kung Fu comic, either in print or on their smartphone or tablet. At the newstands, you'll see a ton of manhua up for sale.

What's really cool is that every so often, you'll catch a prominent display of Hong Kong's comic history somewhere in this city. There is a nice little exhibit that shows the types of comics that kids read back in the 1960s over at the history museum. In Kowloon Park, there was a great display of some of Hong Kong's most famous characters. Personally, when I walk Avenue of Stars here, I always pass by this little fellow, McDull:
    Lovely-McDull-on-Avenue-of-Stars.jpg

Alas, as for me, I've very little experience with the Hong Kong comic scene. I've only translated works that I bought in my comic store back in the States. I bought Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, SNK vs. Capcom: Chaos, and The Four Constables, all produced by the company comicsone. Unfortunately, that company reproduced those titles backward from the originals, so everyone is left-handed!

As a final note, what's interesting to me is that interest in American comics is growing a lot here in Hong Kong. Many of the students I teach love the Marvel movies, toys, and TV shows. Some kids often come to class dressed up as Spider-Man or throwing around a Captain America shield! I know one student who just completed AvX on torrents. Still, though TPB's are sold at the major bookstores, like Page One, I'm not too sure if Hong Kongers are reading the actual issues.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

BANNED

Hey, Tien Long, what's up? Long time no see.

Soo.... US comics are getting more and more popular in Hong Kong eh?

McDull eh? Kinda funny how a famous Chinese/Hong Kong comic character can have a Scottish or English-sounding name.