Page 91 of 93 FirstFirst ... 418187888990919293 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 1390
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    This brought a smile to my face

Regardless of whether you want the show or not, I like the enthusiasm and ambition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Forbes has suggested that New Warriors could replace Roseanne, which was suddenly cancelled this week.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/merrill.../#2fc9047d5850
    Cast members are tweeting about it.
    https://www.cbr.com/new-warriors-replace-roseanne-abc/
    I mean, it's a valid idea, but we have to think long term here. Marvel shows have not been faring well on ABC recently, so should we really just throw this one in there, possibly dooming it to failure and an early cancellation as well? It's a miracle they've kept AOS this far, and even then it's rumored that it's because Disney has been pressuring them to do so. The show has a very different format (half hour comedy) from everything Marvel has done on live action so far, so maybe they should try a different platform for it. I think it's probably a good idea to wait for the Disney streaming service to launch and try this there. Or maybe Hulu, since they've started to get a piece of the Marvel cake recently too.

Astonishing Member

What do you mean, Richard hasn't been mentioned? He's currently appearing in the Infinity Countdown event. He returned in the last Nova series, where Sam introduced him to the Champions (Rich was shocked by the legacy hero team because it made him feel old). Then he started appearing in Guardians of the Galaxy.
    ....And the latest Issue of INFINITY COUNTDOWN (#4) has Richard Rider making a decision which might play out within the INFINITY COUNTDOWN: DARKHAWK MiniSeries {in which Robbie is one of the Raptors}.

Jeff Loeb did an AMA on Reddit yesterday, and someone asked "Any progress with finding New Warriors a home?" He said "We're working on it".
    https://www.newsarama.com/40269-marv...y-project.html
    https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudi...v_ama/e0a18ig/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Today's X-MEN: RED ANNUAL:spoilers:
    in which Jean Grey is dealing with her and her friends' reactions of her return
    end of spoilers; also has a cameo of Jubilee(/Wondra).

Today's? That came out a couple of weeks ago!

There is one New Warrior appearance though, since issue 2 of Infinity Countdown: Darkhawk is out.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Today's? That came out a couple of weeks ago!

There is one New Warrior appearance though, since issue 2 of Infinity Countdown: Darkhawk is out.
    Unfortunately; my LCS has a delay in their shipping schedule......otherwise, I'd posted this info much earlier had I'd known........

I loved the New Warriors when they came out in the 90s and at the time there were comparisons to The Teen Titans and at first they were nicknamed "Marvel's Teen Titans". Their first appearance in Thor proved otherwise. I think the problem after the first series ended was they were a produce of the 90s and kind of stayed there. For me personally the New Warriors really did not shine again until the series was rebooted right after Civil War. I have not read the last series and can't comment on it. I think it could return today but they will have to use the model of the New Teen Titans and use mostly the original team and add new characters. Night Thrasher himself said in New Warriors #1 he preferred just four but expanded his idea to include Namorita and Speedball. Perhaps use the original four then add 2 to 3 new characters that can be used to tell different types of stories.

Grevioux's series would have done a lot better if a) Night Thrasher had actually been Dwayne and b) he had recruited a different set of mutants. just my preference but I would have gone with a depowered Mutant Liberation Front. they aren't popular characters. but they invoke 90s nostalgia similarly to the New Warriors. and their political mindset would have lined up with the direction of the book. it never rang true to me that I was looking at a depowered Barnell Bohusk and Angel. their voices weren't authentic. and we already saw what Barnell looked like as a human. he wasn't handsome; still looked like an awkward bird. reread those conspiracy theory conversations but imagine it's a depowered Wildside and Reaper talking. imagine Dragoness subbing in for StacyX. Sofia was a good add. and I was excited to see Jubilee in a new light. but there was just too much to dislike about the book.

^I see Tempo, Forearm, Dwayne, Strobe, and Dragoness. it'd be Reaper instead of Jono. Wildside instead of Redneck. and you could fit Thumbelina and Feral (or Locus) in there with a few costume alterations.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 06-13-2018 at 04:36 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Grevioux's series would have done a lot better if a) Night Thrasher had actually been Dwayne and b) he had recruited a different set of mutants. just my preference but I would have gone with a depowered Mutant Liberation Front. they aren't popular characters. but they invoke 90s nostalgia similarly to the New Warriors. and their political mindset would have lined up with the direction of the book. it never rang true to me that I was looking at a depowered Barnell Bohusk and Angel. their voices weren't authentic. and we already saw what Barnell looked like as a human. he wasn't handsome; still looked like an awkward bird. reread those conspiracy theory conversations but imagine it's a depowered Wildside and Reaper talking. imagine Dragoness subbing in for StacyX. Sofia was a good add. and I was excited to see Jubilee in a new light. but there was just too much to dislike about the book.
    Let me preface the following statement with this.

For the tools that Kevin G was given, and the dynamics of the comics themselves, he wrote an excellent New Warriors series. I feel he really 'got' Fabian's first new warriors run and built off of that.

For the tools he was given/had.

Now that said?

Kevin G's tools were utter crap, and I'm not surprised that it's been ignored since.

Imagine that you were writing a story about the Civil Rights era, and the cast had only one black guy. That was Kevin G's New Warriors.

Mutants are not superheroes in the same way Spider-Man is. They don't choose to be heroes, and in theory if racism disappeared, most would go back to society rather than fight crime.

Kevin G made some excellent choices in trying to distract from that. Jubilee and Chamber were good choices as they were in the hero life longer, and the Omega Gang was an excellent choice because they were rebelling against society.

But at the end of the day, you had a cast that was fighting for a cause that really didn't effect them (minus Donny). They should have cut half the cast and used actual superheroes who had skin in the game. That's why the narrative floated to Donny so much, because he was the only actual superhero on the team, and not a minority metaphor.

I could sort of see the logic of mutants fighting registration, but in the end it's a bridge too far.

For superheroes, registering meant that the government defined them. It's a choice they have to make

For minority metaphors/mutants, registration has far different connotations, and those are far uglier. And being a (metaphor) minority isn't a choice they make.

It's a shame Kevin G was put in such a box, because I can see aspects that could have been amazing, if he hadn't had the world's dumbest mandate.

Jeff Loeb did an AMA on Reddit yesterday, and someone asked "Any progress with finding New Warriors a home?" He said "We're working on it".
    https://www.newsarama.com/40269-marv...y-project.html
    https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudi...v_ama/e0a18ig/
    Please Jeff do a mercy killing and let this show die.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Let me preface the following statement with this.

For the tools that Kevin G was given, and the dynamics of the comics themselves, he wrote an excellent New Warriors series. I feel he really 'got' Fabian's first new warriors run and built off of that.

For the tools he was given/had.

Now that said?

Kevin G's tools were utter crap, and I'm not surprised that it's been ignored since.

Imagine that you were writing a story about the Civil Rights era, and the cast had only one black guy. That was Kevin G's New Warriors.

Mutants are not superheroes in the same way Spider-Man is. They don't choose to be heroes, and in theory if racism disappeared, most would go back to society rather than fight crime.

Kevin G made some excellent choices in trying to distract from that. Jubilee and Chamber were good choices as they were in the hero life longer, and the Omega Gang was an excellent choice because they were rebelling against society.

But at the end of the day, you had a cast that was fighting for a cause that really didn't effect them (minus Donny). They should have cut half the cast and used actual superheroes who had skin in the game. That's why the narrative floated to Donny so much, because he was the only actual superhero on the team, and not a minority metaphor.

I could sort of see the logic of mutants fighting registration, but in the end it's a bridge too far.

For superheroes, registering meant that the government defined them. It's a choice they have to make

For minority metaphors/mutants, registration has far different connotations, and those are far uglier. And being a (metaphor) minority isn't a choice they make.

It's a shame Kevin G was put in such a box, because I can see aspects that could have been amazing, if he hadn't had the world's dumbest mandate.
    I think Jubilee being there made sense. but Chamber, as I remember him, didn't want that life. Generation X were not the X-Men. the Massachusetts Academy was an actual school. I don't know that they intended for them to become superheroes. they were definitely learning to use their powers defensively. but the vibe of the book wasn't "I'm building a mutant army." anyways, I figure he was added to support Jubilee. I totally agree with the inclusion of the Omega Gang for one reason. they were crap characters from a crap story arc. I don't even want to think about Grant Morrison's run, personally. and that killed my enjoyment of Grevioux's story. I remembered how they were basically oafish redshirts. I remember Angel laying eggs (their kids were totally forgotten). even using Psionex would have been preferable.

for clarification though, my idea kind of depended on Thrasher's recruits being outside of the registration bubble. it would be a case of Dwayne crossing the line and having to answer to his former teammates (Vance, Rage, etc). he would have picked the MLF because they'd be willing to match the intensity of the Cape-Killers. his motivation would be part anger over the New Warriors being used as scapegoats for registration and guilt over Donyell's death(or injury). yes, Donyell would have been wearing the Night Thrasher costume at Stamford. so choosing mutants would have been a nod to his brother.

Ultimate Member

I think Jubilee being there made sense. but Chamber, as I remember him, didn't want that life. Generation X were not the X-Men. the Massachusetts Academy was an actual school. I don't know that they intended for them to become superheroes. they were definitely learning to use their powers defensively. but the vibe of the book wasn't "I'm building a mutant army." anyways, I figure he was added to support Jubilee. I totally agree with the inclusion of the Omega Gang for one reason. they were crap characters from a crap story arc. I don't even want to think about Grant Morrison's run, personally. and that killed my enjoyment of Grevioux's story. I remembered how they were basically oafish redshirts. I remember Angel laying eggs (their kids were totally forgotten). even using Psionex would have been preferable.
    I think that if you took half the team, any members, that they'd make sense. I have to credit Kevin G with understanding that diversity doesn't end with ethnic backgrounds. That different members were there for different reasons provided some nice character depth.

But at the same time, I think another problem with Kevin G's Warriors is that his choices were too logical.

All X characters are trained in combat, teamwork, etc. As a resource for skilled fighters, it was clever, as was using technology for weapons, as tech is more reliable than bio-weapons. That, IMO, made things a little too easy for them.

And to get back to diversity, the lack of non ex-mutants undermined the core concept. Only Donny had skin in the game, the rest could (and did) just stop fighting one day, and be fine. That undermines the dramatic tensio

As a general rule, editors f**k with good writers on New Warriors. I'll credit Kevin G with doing a good job with bad tools.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I think that if you took half the team, any members, that they'd make sense. I have to credit Kevin G with understanding that diversity doesn't end with ethnic backgrounds. That different members were there for different reasons provided some nice character depth.

But at the same time, I think another problem with Kevin G's Warriors is that his choices were too logical.

All X characters are trained in combat, teamwork, etc. As a resource for skilled fighters, it was clever, as was using technology for weapons, as tech is more reliable than bio-weapons. That, IMO, made things a little too easy for them.

And to get back to diversity, the lack of non ex-mutants undermined the core concept. Only Donny had skin in the game, the rest could (and did) just stop fighting one day, and be fine. That undermines the dramatic tensio

As a general rule, editors f**k with good writers on New Warriors. I'll credit Kevin G with doing a good job with bad tools.
    well Chamber/Decibel was kind of stuck; looking like something Apocalypse threw up.

for clarification though, my idea kind of depended on Thrasher's recruits being outside of the registration bubble. it would be a case of Dwayne crossing the line and having to answer to his former teammates (Vance, Rage, etc). he would have picked the MLF because they'd be willing to match the intensity of the Cape-Killers. his motivation would be part anger over the New Warriors being used as scapegoats for registration and guilt over Donyell's death(or injury). yes, Donyell would have been wearing the Night Thrasher costume at Stamford. so choosing mutants would have been a nod to his brother.
    Chamber was the first Gen X member to become a fullfledged X-Men, serving on a team with Wolverine and Iceman after it ended. he was there for a couple of years.

Technically Jubilee was, because she was an X-Man before Gen X even existed.