Page 12 of 93 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Speedball View Post
    What. In. The. World!? This is getting crazy.

First off, thank you for posting this Trevel. I was actually waiting to see some clips from the "New Warriors" episode and hoping someone would post something up.

Now, let's take a look at these credits at the start of the clip.

Joe Quesada - The guy who used to joke about killing off Speedball.
    Jeph Loeb - The guy who many believe destroyed Nova.
    Stephen Wacker - The guy who loves torturing and tormenting Richard Rider fans.
    Brian Michael Bendis - The guy who wrote the memory of Rich Rider out of the Guardians of the Galaxy and inexplicably depicted Speedball getting the pulp beat out of him in the Marvel Heroes game.

Now, these guys join together to intentionally create an episode about "New Warriors" that has no ties to the "New Warriors".

I mean why does Marvel pay to renew the New Warriors trademark if this is how they are going to waste the name? Wouldn't it have been a smarter business decision to actually include some "New Warriors" in this? I am not just saying this as a fan, but wouldn't Speedball or Silohuette or Rage or Night Thrasher have fit in to the concept of this episode better than Kazar or the giant cat? This is a travesty.

With these individuals making the decisions on the media side of Marvel, is there any hope that we will ever see our favorite characters represented well in TV shows, movies or video games?

According to the official press release provided to the media at the announcement for season 3, Speedball is supposed to make an appearance at some point this season. I remain hopeful that he will end up being depicted in a worthy manner and not like his unveiling in the Ultimate comic universe.

Attachment 6609
    That team does not really stun me.

Look right now marvel probably is sitting around wondering why this New Warriors book didnt make it with fans..they no doubt think it did not contain enough zany teen characters that the younger crowd could identify with. Or maybe they will just go back to somehow beliving them a joke...the simple fact that Loeb and Whacker would use a different team than what Yost is working with is so crazy on so many levels..these cats just never cease to amaze me. That certainly seems like active backstabbing or at a minimum ignoring yosts work.

There not looking at the obvious..that they didnt promo the book enough ( which is huge) and the book should have tied into original sin, and that tieing the books central theme into the botched inhumanity event was a huge error..and finally that the book should have included a couple more old New Warriors, namely Darkhawk and Night Thrasher..who have small but dedicated fan bases that would have helped.

I really agree with you guys that this is a good book..i look forward to this series every month..but marvel does owe the New Warriors big time. Lets admit this was a halfhearted attempt by marvel to make the book stick..They deconstruced them in civil war as a plot device in front of the whole world..now rebuild them in proper glorius fashion in front of the world..have them show up with a classic team in a major marvel event...feature them in front of everyone and show people what made the vol.1 team so great.

At any rate long live the warriors guys and keep buying the book!
    Last edited by THANOSRULES; 07-24-2014 at 02:38 PM.

Powered By Gravity

I'm struggling to stay with this book. I think my love of the original New Warriors wants me to be invested in this new team for nostalgia reasons more than actual quality of story. I'm going to stick with it for a little while longer, but I don't think my feelings are going to change.

the book should have included a couple more old New Warriors, namely Darkhawk and Night Thrasher..who have small but dedicated fan bases that would have helped.
    They deconstruced them in civil war as a plot device in front of the whole world..now rebuild them in proper glorius fashion in front of the world..have them show up with a classic team in a major marvel event...feature them in front of everyone and show people what made the vol.1 team so great.
    Great points Thanos!

Quote Originally Posted by skyjumpermike View Post
    I'm struggling to stay with this book. I think my love of the original New Warriors wants me to be invested in this new team for nostalgia reasons more than actual quality of story. I'm going to stick with it for a little while longer, but I don't think my feelings are going to change.
    From one fan to another, I am grateful you are sticking with it. I hope the story evolves to a point that gets you excited to buy it.

I am really liking the writing and the art in it myself, but agree that more ties to the original team would make it even that much more exciting! From what I have read from Yost, it sounds like he is planning to steer the ship in that direction. Teasing ties to Namorita, potential for original Night Thrasher and a cross over with Firestar. I hope the book lasts long enough for that to be fulfilled.

BANNED

They didn't "deconstruct" ANYthing in Civil War about the Warriors...they frakking JOBBED them to the plot.

No way in Hades an experienced team like that makes such a stupid mistake. And their attitudes going in were so completely OOC it wasn't even funny.

Stamford was a slap in the face to fans of the Warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by skyjumpermike View Post
    Other than the desire for the original New Warriors - what else are you not liking?
    So far, I think the dialogue is great - especially the bantering. Yost knows how to give each of them a unique voice.
    And Marcos To? His art is freaking amazing. Love it. Fits the book SO PERFECTLY.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDemon View Post
    They didn't "deconstruct" ANYthing in Civil War about the Warriors...they frakking JOBBED them to the plot.

No way in Hades an experienced team like that makes such a stupid mistake. And their attitudes going in were so completely OOC it wasn't even funny.

Stamford was a slap in the face to fans of the Warriors.
    Jobbed is too dignified a term, the New Warriors were red-shirted.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Likewater View Post
    Jobbed is too dignified a term, the New Warriors were red-shirted.
    I don't think that's strong enough. "Red shirts" are just there to die randomly or to prove how tough the opponent is.

In this case, the whole premise of Civil War REQUIRED a bunch of brash, stupid kids make a series of "n00b" mistakes that caused massive harm.

Rather than create said "n00b"s, Marvel decided to take characters who had been operating as a team for YEARS and fought much tougher opposition than Nitro and basically turn them into Lobotomized Gilderoy Lockhearts (if I may be permitted a cross-genre metaphor).

So I submit that they were indeed "jobbed" (or "scapegoated", or whatever). What Marvel did was not random, or a mere "this is how tough the bad guy is" demonstration.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDemon View Post
    I don't think that's strong enough. "Red shirts" are just there to die randomly or to prove how tough the opponent is.

In this case, the whole premise of Civil War REQUIRED a bunch of brash, stupid kids make a series of "n00b" mistakes that caused massive harm.

Rather than create said "n00b"s, Marvel decided to take characters who had been operating as a team for YEARS and fought much tougher opposition than Nitro and basically turn them into Lobotomized Gilderoy Lockhearts (if I may be permitted a cross-genre metaphor).

So I submit that they were indeed "jobbed" (or "scapegoated", or whatever). What Marvel did was not random, or a mere "this is how tough the bad guy is" demonstration.
    Yes, they had fought much tougher opposition than Nitro in the past and prevailed. Who could have known, their toughest opposition would end up being the Marvel editorial staff? The Nitro explosion did more than ignite Civil War. It shattered the New Warriors into shards that were flung all over the Marvel universe. We are still trying to pick up the pieces a full 9 years later. I am grateful they didn't leave them all there, dead at ground zero though. We did end up getting some character development from Robbie and Vance in the ensuing years, and of course Rich. But it was difficult to follow at times.

I think Nova is a good example of what can happen when a writer decides he is going to take one of these characters seriously and try to tap their potential. Rich was made into a bad ass over the course of Annihilation and his subsequent solo title. What was the result? Higher sales and enhanced popularity. Now he has gained a level of respect amongst fans that is greater than what he ever had during his time with the Warriors as a hard luck jock. I say, take the remaining 5 core Warriors on their own individual journey's to 'level them up' so to speak, you know, Nova-fy them, then bring them together in a powerhouse team that can stand shoulder to shoulder with the Avengers or X-Men. (I would love to see Rage, Silhouette, Darkhawk, Cloak and Dagger in there too.) Then see how sales fare for the team. I bet they would do well.
    Last edited by Speedball; 07-25-2014 at 02:29 AM.

I was skimming through this thread as I'm an old skool fan of New Warriors, seeing the possibility of Dwayne's return is pleasing (though I'll wait until it actually happens).

I echo the thoughts about how Civil War trashed the team's name, especially as the Dwayne Taylor of Fabian's era would never be so reckless (unless you count chucking Nova off a roof a bit OTT).

Whats really crazy to me is loeb cant even help out yosty with using his team? I mean when did they pop up in the cartoon?

NewWarriors 8.jpg

Alright warriors fans, this is it!

We are only 3 days away from our chance to turn the tide! New Warriors #8 releases on Wednesday. This current volume is graced with amazing art and fantastic, witty dialogue. Don't let the Warriors sink back into oblivion. Speedball is in top form, Justice has taken charge, Silhouette has materialized, Namorita may be in play, Night Thrasher might be on the horizon. This is what we have been waiting for! With Richard Rider headlining the next 3 months worth of the Guardians of the Galaxy books, and Firestar flying high in Amazing X-Men, the future is wide open for that original team that lived and loved and fought and bled together!

This is our moment! This may be our last chance to affect sales on the book, keep it breathing, give it time to gather legs and gain momentum. I hope that all true Warrior fans will unite in the 'Keep the War Alive Initiative'. On top of your copy of the book, I encourage you to buy at least one additional copy. Give it to a friend, a co-worker, a brother, a sister, a boyfriend, a girlfriend, a grandparent, a bus driver, a dentist... anyone you know that enjoys comics. See if you can get them to start supporting the book on their own. Share why these characters are important to you. Teach them history. Tell them about betrayal and the Folding Circle, tell them about getting lost in time and trying to find a way home, tell them about fighting the forces of darkness. Tell them about a Human Rocket coming of age in a distant war. Tell them about a Masked Marvel losing his way, serving penance and finding himself again. Walk out of that comic shop on Wednesday proudly, carrying your extra copies of the book as badges of honor.

Current monthly readership of New Warriors is hovering around 18,000 copies. If everyone currently buying the book bought just a single extra issue, we could take monthly sales up to a respectable 36,000. In time, I am confident this book can and will grow it's following. We just need to keep it alive long enough for that to happen. I can't wait to pick up my 5 copies on Wednesday for myself and 4 comic reading buddies at work. Come on! We can do this!

New Warriors fans: All we want to do is save our team!

K.W.A.I. "Keep the War Alive Initiative"

New Warriors.jpg
    Last edited by Speedball; 08-03-2014 at 11:36 PM.

Woooooo-hooooooo!!

Oh,man! So, in the spirit of the "Keep the War Alive Initiative" I picked up 5 copies of issue #8 today. One each for myself and my friends Collin, Chris, Michael and Ryan. I cannot tell you how hard it was for me to wait until I got home from work to send up my thoughts on this issue!

It was AMAZING!!! Once again the art was superb. Very crisp and clean. It bears a high level of quality that really makes it stand above a lot of the other books out there. Marcus To is gifted!

As for the story, this issue had a couple of MAJOR highlights for me. First off, I loved how they showed Justice operating as a competent tactical leader. "Always. Always have a plan." Seeing him guide the team so effectively put a smile on my face. I could see him evolving into a blend of 4 parts Captain America and 1 part Cyclops.

The big reveal for me though had to do with Speedball. I won't spoil anything for those who haven't read it yet but I literally jumped out of my seat at a certain part of the issue. I can't believe they did it! It answered a question that had been burning a hole in my mind since Avengers Academy and really... has Speedball ever looked cooler? I was giddy.

I REALLY love where Chris Yost is taking us. It is like he knows what wishes linger in the hearts of Warriors fans and, one by one he is giving them to us. First Namorita, then Silhouette, now Speedball in all his glory. For all of those old school fans who pine for Richard Rider and have not yet taken a shine to Sam Alexander, there is even a little rib in there at the end. If this guy ends up giving us Dwayne Taylor, he will have checked off a healthy number of boxes for what I would most want to see in The New Warriors.

This is easily the best New Warriors run since volume 1. I really couldn't be happier with it! Oh man, still so excited... lol. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go read it over and over until issue 9 comes out!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Speedball View Post
    Woooooo-hooooooo!!
    This is easily the best New Warriors run since volume 1. I really couldn't be happier with it! Oh man, still so excited... lol. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go read it over and over until issue 9 comes out!
    Great issue on all levels - in fact one of my favorite issues of the whole run so far.

Justice (caveat: as a new reader) feels like the natural leader for the group. I hope he stays as the leader with this incarnation of the Warriors for a good long time as he's maturing and evolving in the role. Your call on Cap+Cyclops is pretty spot on.

The Speedball stuff was awesome - if anything this was 'his' issue as well as Haechi's. The scenes with Scarlet Spider were great, trying his best to keep his private secrets and feelings from becoming public knowledge. I think Yost has treaded the line with Speedball/Penance really well, fairly and with respect to what came before. Aside from Scarlet Spider and Hummingbird, him and Justice are becoming firm favorites, which for me kind of validates going with a mix of old and new for the current team.

Come on New Warriors fans, put your hands in your pockets and cough up that cash!

Mighty Member

I enjoyed it, not my favorite in this issue, but there are character beats that I enjoyed such as Scarlet Spider relying more on the team in addition to the Speedball and Justice scenes mentioned above. I'm really looking forward to the next issue. Justice and Scarlet Spider vs a giant toy teddy bear? Yost knows how to speak to me.