Page 6 of 93 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Alright! Now we're talking! I think this was the best issue of the new run so far. Outside of the first issue, this one left me the most excited for the future of the comic. These were my favorite aspects of issue #7:

1) The way Marcus To draws Speedball. I have been a Speedball fan my whole life. I think this is my favorite rendition of him so far. In this issue, Marcus captures Speedball perfectly. He looks to have matured away from his teenage appearance from Volume One while still retaining a youthful look. You could imagine this as the older version of that wise cracking kid we used to know. He has obviously changed and grown as a result of his time serving 'Penance', but has returned somewhat to his definitive self and seems to be right where he should be along the grand timeline. Also, let me say this... one of the keys to drawing Speedball successfully has always been his hair. MANY artists have failed to capture this over the years. Typically, the artists who get the hair right, tend to get the whole package right. Bagley was able to do this, Derrick Robertson not so much, (although I think he was a worthy successor to Bagley's legacy during the original run). Marcus NAILS it! This is Speedball at his best and I am loving it! Thank you Marcus To for getting it just right!

2) Jake Waffles and Mr. Whiskers new look. I am going to admit that I initially thought the addition of these two was pretty lame. To me they looked silly and immature. This new look is nice. Especially Waffles. I think it still looks fun but now is a tad cooler. I think I would actually like to see Waffles filling a support role similar to Chord on a permanent basis.

3) Overall art. The art was very nice throughout the whole issue. Not sure if it was just me, but it actually seemed to get better as the issue went along. By the end I was stopping to admire the work. I really like how Marcus draws Sun Girl, Justice and 'Waterita'.

4) Robbie being startled by Vance's hologram suddenly popping up right in front of him. That part made me laugh.

5) The dialog between Kaine and Aracely. This has been a strong point of the title since issue one and continues to delight. The part where she is talking about the evil presence being there while not being there, and Kaine telling her that doesn't make any sense, was funny.

6) Witnessing Sun Girl jump into the fire in order to save Haechi was awesome. Having her 'miss' the bad guys only to have been aiming at the chains was a nice touch, I see some serious bonding between those two evolving from this and that warmth is what will be needed to cement this group as a team. I really like it!

7) Speedball: "Get out Jake Waffles!" Jake Waffles: "I cannot get out. I live here." Hilarious!

8) I really liked watching Justice assume a Cyclops like leadership role on the team. I guess he has always kind of been their Tactician-Leader but this issue really portrayed him very clearly in that role. Seeing him stride into the room, cape billowing, in order to take command on page 20 was awesome. This written portrayal along with Marcus' awesome artwork on him throughout this issue reminded my of why Justice has been one of my favorites through all these long years.

9) Finally, I can't end my list of favorite points without mentioning that old school cameo towards the end. Yost tied the character in nicely by incorporating dark force wielding Inhumans. It was a touch of nostalgia seeing the character there, if even just for the moment.

I can't wait to see what happens next. Where did the team end up after teleporting? Who are all those angry people with crowbars closing in on them? Will we learn the true story behind what happened to Namorita? When will Dwayne Taylor make his dramatic return? The next issue is too far away...
    Last edited by Speedball; 07-03-2014 at 10:14 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jameszahra View Post
    How do you guys rate this book? I have the issues, I just havnt read them yet as I'm a little behind. Sales seem pretty bad, yet every time yost writs something I end up loving it
    I'd say an average of 9.5 stars out of 10 from me.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by super curry max View Post
    SIL! god damn i will be so depressed when this is probably cancelled in 3 months. Most fun ive had reading a comic series in awhile. I actively look forward to each new issue.

last series that did this for me was runaways vol 1
    They should add a Runaway to the team since they rarely reform. I suggest Molly Hayes, or Nico Minoru.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phoenix View Post
    They should add a Runaway to the team since they rarely reform. I suggest Molly Hayes, or Nico Minoru.
    The Runaways are busy being "reverse Thunderbolt-ed" in a different book right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDemon View Post
    The Runaways are busy being "reverse Thunderbolt-ed" in a different book right now.
    And that's the reason Molly Hayes needs a new team to belong, since her old one is broken.

Klara Prast should go to JGHS, since she doesn't really like to fight (but keep Logan away from her! she has suffered to much because of pedophiles already!). Victor Mancha could fit the New Warriors too, but he's supposed to join the Avengers and destroy them from within.

Ultimate Member

I'm liking the dialogue. but the plotting is kinda killing me. Avenger level threats work best in Avengers books, IMO. I think the Warriors do best with threats that are either very personal, or non traditional for superheroes. It's their hook for standing out in the crowd

Avenger level threats work best in Avengers books, IMO. I think the Warriors do best with threats that are either very personal, or non traditional for superheroes. It's their hook for standing out in the crowd
    I like when they take on personal and non traditional issues but I am also okay with the New Warriors upgrading to the big leagues in terms of the types of threats they face. We have had 24 years of the Warriors tackling street level thugs and B-list bad guys. In that time, several of the Warriors have grown up or powered up and I really enjoy when I get to watch them exercise that growth against larger level enemies. I don't think the book needs a hook. I have seen others ask 'What is the Warriors reason to exist?' Well, they are people who happen to possess super powers and abilities and they have decided to channel those abilities toward something positive. That seems reasonable. If the writing is solid with well thought out stories and the art is great, that is enough for me.

Question: During Speedball's time as Penance, he was described in Thunderbolts as being a "Hulk-level Threat". He has regained his Speedball powers and assumed the Speedball identity again but has supposedly retained some amount of his Penance powers as well. In a recent issue of New Warriors he was shown secretly charging up his Penance powers in case a confrontation with Captain America and Ironman went south.

Does anyone know a) How much of his Penance power set remains? Does he still require pain to activate them? Does he have full control over the kinetic blasts? Has he been shown anywhere using his Penance and Speedball powers simultaneously?

Thanks!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Speedball View Post
    Question: During Speedball's time as Penance, he was described in Thunderbolts as being a "Hulk-level Threat". He has regained his Speedball powers and assumed the Speedball identity again but has supposedly retained some amount of his Penance powers as well. In a recent issue of New Warriors he was shown secretly charging up his Penance powers in case a confrontation with Captain America and Ironman went south.

Does anyone know a) How much of his Penance power set remains? Does he still require pain to activate them? Does he have full control over the kinetic blasts? Has he been shown anywhere using his Penance and Speedball powers simultaneously?

Thanks!
    It's been shown in Avengers Academy that Speedball still has his Penance powers, and he can 'charge up' and store the energy over time, and still use them and his Speedball powers at the same time

It's been shown in Avengers Academy that Speedball still has his Penance powers, and he can 'charge up' and store the energy over time, and still use them and his Speedball powers at the same time
    Oh my gosh! That is awesome! So he could be like a super fast bouncing ball of explosive destruction! It seems like that combination of powers could be used in a lot of different and creative ways. I hope we get to see some of that played out in the new run.

I hate how To changed Jake Waffles into a buff wolf dog hybrid, instead of a silly floppy earred dog hybrid. His Mister Wiskers is fine but Jake Waffles shouldn't look intimidating IMO. But overall, once again an enjoyable issue.

I have to say New Warriors and AN X-Factor have been the most fun team books issue to issue I've been able to read so far in 2014.

Hey everybody! I propose the "KEEP THE WAR ALIVE!" initiative. Every time the New Warriors gets cancelled, we have to endure a long dark wait, not knowing when or if they will ever return to us. Here, right now, we New Warriors fans have been given a gift. We have a monthly ongoing, and a pretty darn good one at that! I do not want to imagine a comic world without our Warriors.

Sales for the book have been hovering between 18,000 - 20,000 a month. There is talk all over of potential cancellation. Today I visited my local shop and I dropped 3 other titles I was picking up and told them I wanted 3 additional copies of New Warriors every month instead. I will be giving the extra copies to 3 comic reading buddies at work. I will also be picking up the trade when it comes out later this month in order to catch them up to speed.

Within our circles of friends and co-workers, we all know people who share our passions and interests. If everybody who is currently reading New Warriors, buys JUST ONE extra copy each month for a friend, we will double our monthly sales to 38,000 which would place us somewhere near the top 50 titles.

I see a lot of potential in this current volume. We have a great writer and a great artist. If given enough time, I know this book can gain traction and achieve a healthy readership. We just need to keep it alive long enough for that to happen. We can make a difference! Spread the word!

Please join me in the trenches. If you will commit to purchasing just a single extra copy of the New Warriors each month and sharing with someone you know, please enlist in the cause by proclaiming your commitment in the comments below!

Also, hang out with fellow warriors over at the New Warriors Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/NewWarriors

I am not a moderator for that page or a Marvel employee. I am just a fan, like many of you, who loves the New Warriors! Join me and together let's...

"Keep the War Alive!"

This is fairly amazing! There is Speedball on the bottom left!!!

Ultimate Speedball.jpg

"Disney XD and Marvel officially announced Season Three on July 20, 2013 at San Diego Comic Con. It will be renamed "Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors". Season Three will include Spider-Man joining The Avengers, and introducing characters such as Cloak and Dagger, Amadeus Cho, Squirrel Girl, Speedball, Ka-Zar, Scarlet Spider, and Agent Venom. Miles Morales, Spider-Girl, Spider-Man Noir, and Spider-Man 2099 will also make appearances as well."

I have always wanted to see animated New Warriors!! So stoked that episode 8 is going to be titled "New Warriors" and Speedball is included as a character!!!!