Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default EXCLUSIVE: Marvel Manga Variants for "Ant-Man," "Guardians" and "Silk"

August brings manga artists to Marvel for a series of variants, and CBR has the exclusive look at "Guardians of Knowhere," "Silk" and more.

Full article here.

What makes these any different from the average comic cover?
    We need better comics

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

Woah, pic of Eddie scared me for a second. Thought I was massively off about Post-SW Venom, then realised it was a variant. Phew.
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

I was looking forward to seeing Ms. Marvel and Secret Love manga variants, but the Silk one looks good.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

That Silk one is great.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    What makes these any different from the average comic cover?
    All the artists are specifically Japanese?

I have to say I really like that Silk cover .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    I was looking forward to seeing Ms. Marvel and Secret Love manga variants, but the Silk one looks good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
    That Silk one is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    All the artists are specifically Japanese?

I have to say I really like that Silk cover .
    It appears so and it looks like the Manga Variant Cover for Silk (done by GURIHIRU) is getting some excellent praise (so far).

Self-Loathing Bendis Fan

You can add all the Bruckheimer-inspired birds and sunbursts you want, that new Silk costume is just another costume.

The original, where she'd just web herself up like a ninja, was a FANTASTIC idea that works in 2015 (half-masks and designer superhero costumes make little sense for new characters when you think about it). And if you could do that, WOULDN'T you do that? Like, every time, instead of carrying an extra change of clothes all the time?

That Spidey was able to stitch his own as a teenager is a detail that got glossed over in the 60's. Comics need to change to adapt to modern entertainment, like doing away with secret identities in the Avengers movies (think about it, why would Hawkeye put on that ridiculous mask that only hides his eyes and hair, and does nothing to change his voice? Now that we've seen him adapted to our times, it's hard to imagine him putting on that mask now).

The webs weren't spandex, so they didn't have to change it like Spider-Woman's for PC reasons. They could be as loose or tight as the shot required.

I really think Marvel dropped the ball on Silk by making her just another superhero.

I hope someone comes along and starts creating superheroes for OUR times... not these time-displaced relics of the past that won't get over any more than previous attempts at creating new superheroes did. Because they don't belong in 2015, IMHO.
    Last edited by _underscore; 07-15-2015 at 10:34 AM.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

The GURIHIRU cover is fantastic. Those women are simply fantastic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Will of the Geeks View Post
    Woah, pic of Eddie scared me for a second. Thought I was massively off about Post-SW Venom, then realised it was a variant. Phew.
    Two venoms exist post sw.

Color me surprised, the artists are actually japanese artists, and not americans trying to mimic manga!

Ant Man by Dorohedoro's artist is badass.

Gurihiru always delivers, I wish they could do some interior art for an ongoing. They would rock on Squirrel Girl.

Astonishing Member

There're more Manga Variant Covers that're coming, via this Update from Newsarama
    Last edited by PaxHouse; 07-15-2015 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by _underscore View Post
    The original, where she'd just web herself up like a ninja, was a FANTASTIC idea that works in 2015 (half-masks and designer superhero costumes make little sense for new characters when you think about it). And if you could do that, WOULDN'T you do that? Like, every time, instead of carrying an extra change of clothes all the time?

That Spidey was able to stitch his own as a teenager is a detail that got glossed over in the 60's. Comics need to change to adapt to modern entertainment, like doing away with secret identities in the Avengers movies (think about it, why would Hawkeye put on that ridiculous mask that only hides his eyes and hair, and does nothing to change his voice? Now that we've seen him adapted to our times, it's hard to imagine him putting on that mask now).
    I'd say it's a better costume because it covers her body and doesn't show random skin implying she's completely naked under her costume...that, and the design for her official suit is much more striking and impressive than just covering herself with webs. And I'd say she looks just as much like a ninja as she did with her first "suit."

I can still see Hawkeye wearing his mask because 616!Hawkeye was a circus performer, so he'd be all about theatrics whether they make sense or not. Would look better than shades he's currently sporting, but that's just my personal opinion .
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxHouse View Post
    There're more Manga Variant Covers that're coming, via this Update from Newsarama
    That Kate Bishop and X-23 .

Also like the A-Force cover .

Astonishing Member

cross fingers for Masashi Kishimoto, Tite Kubo, Hiromu Arakawa, Nobuhiro Watsuki or Hiro Mashima. Imagine Mashima doing X-men 92 Rogue, drools. watsuki loves marvel too i dont see why he doesnt get a chance to draw for them

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaxHouse View Post
    That manga variant with Logan and X-23 looks awesome! I would seriously consider buying that, if it's not too expensive.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa