Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default McKay, Thurber, Fleischer Reported "Ant-Man" Director Contenders

A report says Rawson Thurber, Adam McKay and Ruben Fleischer are among the candidates to replace Edgar Wright as Marvel's "Ant-Man" director.

Full article here.

All-New Member

The feeling persists that Marvel Studios have truly shot themselves in the foot, with this move.

Much praise is well deserved for 'Phases One & Two', to date. Fiege and his co-execs would do well to recall the spirit that got the ball rolling. Adopting a conservative approach that mirrors the stale strategies of more established studios? Well, it's a path to be avoided.

For the record, I don't care who the replacement director is.
    Last edited by Drumanespic; 05-30-2014 at 10:51 AM. Reason: tylo

Incredible Member RobertoDaCosta's Avatar

the Anchorman? u lost me!! bye!
    Bring back Ultimate Dazzler!!

Wouldn't McKay and Wright probably end up having the same problems with Marvel's quality control?

BANNED

Ruben would be a good choice. Zombieland was ace.

Extraordinary Member

I still wish the MCU could have Auteurs :l Kinda defeats the purpose of having a 'Unique' feel to each movie.

BANNED

I'm okay with all of these choices.

BANNED

i don't care. i don't want to see how the sandwich is made. just get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumanespic View Post
    The feeling persists that Marvel Studios have truly shot themselves in the foot, with this move.

Much praise is well deserved for 'Phases One & Two', to date. Fiege and his co-execs would do well to recall the spirit that got the ball rolling. Adopting a conservative approach that mirrors the stale strategies of more established studios? Well, it's a path to be avoided.

For the record, I don't care who the replacement director is.
    I feel the same way. For me, this went from a absolute must-see on opening weekend to an eventual Blu-Ray rental. I hope I'm wrong, I think but replacing the director at this stage in the game is going to result in a safe, by-the-numbers, Ant-Man by committee, which is everything I could count on an Edgar Wright movie not being.
    Russia is cold, why can't Batman have a warm hat?

Spectacular Member

"...clashed with Marvel over the tone of the film."

"...all three named directors have plenty of experience with comedy."

So, what kind of movie was Wright trying to make, if not comedy?

I'm optimistic the movie will be good regardless but part of me will always be sad about Lang and old Pym in it.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk View Post
    "...clashed with Marvel over the tone of the film."

"...all three named directors have plenty of experience with comedy."

So, what kind of movie was Wright trying to make, if not comedy?

he was making a sci fi tinged spy heist film. it was never a comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
    he was making a sci fi tinged spy heist film. it was never a comedy.
    I heard the first act was going to be like a 1950s Sci-Fi movie featuring a Young Pym.

Ruben Fleischer is really the only one of these choices that I can see fitting the bill. Zombieland was great, as it had a good balance of comedy and a grim atmosphere. Seeing what the other two directors have done just leaves me groaning.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I still wish the MCU could have Auteurs :l Kinda defeats the purpose of having a 'Unique' feel to each movie.
    Disappointing as they are, I don't get how Wright's exit has singlehandedly created the dialogue that "Marvel can't have auteurs." After they've had movies written and directed by James Gunn, Joss Whedon and Shane Black, it seems like their problems with Wright's vision for the film must have been more specific than just him being an auteur. They would have already known that much 8 years ago or even in the last year when production ramped up in earnest.

In my opinion Feige and company have done a great job maintaining a franchise that's both cohesive and diverse, while letting the personal touch of their more distinctive creative talent shine through. Avengers and IM3 are obviously Whedon and Black movies, and from the looks of things GotG is very James Gunn, but I doubt those movies were made without also working with the producers to make it all cohesive. It seems like the probably wanted to incorporate Wright's voice to a similar extent but he didn't want to compromise that much, which is admirable, but we may never know what specifically Marvel didn't like about Wright's script or what Wright didn't like about the alleged rewrites. I'm just doubtful that the disagreements stemmed from Marvel generally not wanting any writer/director's voice to shine through too much on principle, because their track record so far tells a different story.