Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CAPTAIN BRITAIN AND THE MIGHTY DEFENDERS #1 Spoilertalk/Discussion

Would've included a funny line in thread title if book's own title wasn't so bloody long already. Anyways...

Synopsis:
    spoilers:
    We start with 2 flashbacks. First, to a skewed version of Iron Man's origin story, where Tony Stark puts Ho Yinsen in the armour, feeling that his past work as a weapons designer makes him unworthy of a longer life. Stark dies in the cave but buys Yinsen time to escape. The second scene is years later, as an older, armoured Yinsen - using the 'Rescue' codename - addresses a crowd in a city bearing his name, one that's built to be self-sustaining and eco-friendly, just as an incursion occurs and swallows up his world.

We then leap forward to the present, where now-Baron Yinsen was daydreaming the above during a meeting with She-Hulk, the local Thor. He brings up how his dreams have left him with nagging questions, but she shuts him down with the usual-by-now 'heresy' talk. Outside, She-Hulk meets with Hobie Brown, 'Spider Hero', who mentions strange sounds from beyond the western wall, where lies Mondo City. Use of the term 'spider-sense' sends Hobie on a dream of his own, showing Spider-Man dying before him and his taking the familiar mask as a way to honour him.

The two are then side-tracked by Kid Rescue - Yinsen's daughter Antonia - who brings their attention to a different border, the one facing the Warzone. White Tiger sees someone moving through the wastes on the other side - it's Faiza Hussain, a.k.a Excalibur, a.k.a Captain Britain. She-Hulk points out that the laws of Doom prevent them from opening the wall to her without lengthy authorization, to which White Tiger objects. Captain Britain renders the discussion moot by smashing her way through the wall with her sword, then apologizing.

Faiza explains herself over a cup of tea - she's also had her past memories reduced to dreams, but she's more confident that they're genuine, and remembers being given the Captain Britain title from Brian Braddock, even if she can't recall what 'Britain' is exactly. Yinsen also joins in the chat as Faiza insists that Doom is no god, merely a man of power, and between them the group manage to bring She-Hulk around to their line of thinking. Then Doom himself skypes in via Yinsen's armour, strips She-Hulk of her hammer/gavel, then declares his laws no longer matter to Yinsen City OR Mondo City. Within seconds, the western wall is broken down, and a massive War Machine tank comes trundling in, accompanied by 2 armoured 'Bosses' - cops, basically. Yinsen uses a forcefield to protect some citizens from gunfire, but one of the bosses uses a phaser bullet to kill him. Captain Britain attempts to take down the bosses, but the second one is Emma Frost, who psi-spanks her unconscious.

When Faiza wakes up, she's in a Mondo City interrogation cell, under the watch of Boss Cage.
    end of spoilers

Initial Thoughts:
    - A very busy issue that's heavy on worldbuilding and low on action, but it is very interesting worldbuilding.
    - I skipped the explanation for why She-Hulk has a gavel for a Mjolnir because it's the sort of thing you absolutely need to read for yourself.
    - The implication is that Faiza/Cap isn't from the Warzone, though that's where she wanders in from. Given how her memories synch up with that Ewing-scripted Avengers Assemble: Age of Ultron tie-in issue, that might mean she originally came from Perfection, but how would she get past the Shield?
    - So I heard Ewing say Mondo City was 'inspired' by Judge Dredd...I did not expect it to be exactly Judge Dredd. The look, the language, even the small touches like the Overseer handguns being repainted Lawgivers, or how Mondo Emma Frost sounds so much like Psi-Judge Anderson...I've no idea what your average Marvel reader will think of this, but as a part-time (at least) 2000AD dork, this made my day. Creep.
    - Not much to say about Alan Davis' art. I mean, it's great, but why would you expect less from him at this point?
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Boss Cage and Mondo City hail from the end of Jeff Parker's Thunderbolts run (I think it was called Dark Avengers by then). If you liked this, you might want to check it out.

Peace

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Boss Cage and Mondo City hail from the end of Jeff Parker's Thunderbolts run (I think it was called Dark Avengers by then). If you liked this, you might want to check it out.

Peace
    Yes, it was indeed changed to DARK AVENGERS.

It's nice to see more places where Doom's illusion of being God and created all that exists is slowly breaking down.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    It's nice to see more places where Doom's illusion of being God and created all that exists is slowly breaking down.
    every tie-in has nearly been doing this. the main thing most tie-ins point out... is there are no stars.

Judge dre.. I mean Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders was fun. I wasn't expecting to like it this much.
    We need better comics

Its a good point about Heroes who name themselves after places: Britain and America those don't exist in Battleworld right?
    Last edited by Mutant God; 07-15-2015 at 04:29 PM.

Loved this issue. It was good on worldbuilding, the interactions, and dat Judge Dredd City.

I don't know why I feel like I'll be seeing Frank Castle somewhere.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Once again, Al Ewing absolutely kills it. A funny, demented issue with lots of cool stuff going on and amazing throwbacks. I lost it when PSI Judg- ah, 'Boss' Frost went Full Claremont, absolutely wonderful.

Man, I'm going to miss Battleworld, it's giving us so many weird and wonderful setups.

I love that Faiza is introduced breaking an unbreakable wall, and then as soon as she opens her mouth, comes across as adorkable. Also, the Spider Hero gag was good. And She-Hulk's hilariously cheesy line about why she has a gavel. It's such a terrible line, but it made me laugh.

This is a great book.

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Its a good point about Heroes who name themselves after places: Britain and America those don't exist in Battleworld right?

Very true. I mean we kind of assume that Higher Avalon, where the Braddock siblings current reside (and from where Jamie Braddock has been exiled), is probably where bits of Britain and Otherworld have ended up. But geographically it's not in a comparable point on the map to where Britain was before.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A Blog dedicated to the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

So Captain Britain in this series isn't Brian?

That's a shame. I like Brian.

More open declarations of heresy and denouncing of Doom as God! Though feels kinda odd, considering apparently it's been 8 years already that Battleworld's been up, you'd think the questioning would have been way more intense in the first few years, and petered out later. Now something's triggering the questions again I guess.

Also this kinda ties into the premise of Guardians of Knowhere as well, and even Korvac Saga.

I'm starting to see why some tie-ins came in late. The tone and timing across all the tie-ins is pretty solid, it's entering the 'question Doom and question the world' phase much more explicitly now.

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by genki_desu View Post
    So Captain Britain in this series isn't Brian?

That's a shame. I like Brian.

Yup. And you wouldn't be alone, there.

I think a lot of people had been hoping that with the push Hickman had been giving Brian on New Avengers he might be getting more page time in Secret Wars and beyond. It's Captain Britain's 40th year in comics, next year. Nothing was done for 35, but you can hope.

So far the most we've seen is a Secret Wars #2.

It is difficult because aside from a small number of writers who both get and appreciate the character he's just not on the radar for some of the higher ups at Marvel, it seems.

Remember The start of the Heroic Age, and that Avengers invite? Two years before he made an Avengers title debut. And that turned into a relatively grotesque character assassination, rather than a continuation of the character from Captain Britain & MI13.

I did think that Ewing had a good handle on Brian in his Age of Ultron story, though. And he gets Faiza too. I would just prefer the two a separate characters, on the same team. There's too much to explore with Faiza's powerset and Excalibur to try and pack in the whole CAptain Britain mythos as well.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A Blog dedicated to the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

Loving it.

Luke Cage as Dredd
    Emma Frost as Anderson
    'War Machine' doing a great Mek-Quake impersonation

Punisher or Crossbones as Baron/Chief Judge given the skull motif?
    I've seen things you posters wouldn't believe. Ad-spammers aflame off the shoulder of
    rec.arts.sf.written. I watched cancel posts glitter in the ether near the usenet gateway.
    All those moments will be lost in time... like beer in the rain. Time to unsubscribe.