Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

So these look super good!! I'm looking forward to seeing how we get to these teams.

My Lord is this gonna be EPIC!

Hickman is the man!!

In the vein of his Fantastic Four/FF run, Hickman's Avengers is right up there for one of the best Marvel runs of all time. It will be talked about and re-read for years to come. That said - I was under the impression Hickman had an even longer Avengers stint planned or at least it was initially hyped that way. Im almost certain he was on FF longer than this run if it is in fact ending in the Fall.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    In the vein of his Fantastic Four/FF run, Hickman's Avengers is right up there for one of the best Marvel runs of all time. It will be talked about and re-read for years to come. That said - I was under the impression Hickman had an even longer Avengers stint planned or at least it was initially hyped that way. Im almost certain he was on FF longer than this run if it is in fact ending in the Fall.
    It's jumping 8 months in the fall (September), but his run is gonna go until like next May-ish, or at least that's how I've understood it.

Personally Im really enjoying this run.

The pacing could be a bit better, yes; but Ill take this story over lots of others any day. Its among the best Marvel has done in the Now era IMO.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KarateXplosion View Post
    Hickman's run on the Avengers has been the best Justice League book in years
    true! plus the artist who worked on this is also very complementary to his story

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    Arno isn't blond.
    Yeah. To me the first image takes place in the future.

Remember the blond guy with Rhodey (Tony's granddaughter) in Avengers #24?

And, as Gillen leaving after Iron Man #28, I'm not sure Arno would still be around in September.

Okay I just saw the large version it could just be everyone getting old (x
    Last edited by SHUKOI; 05-31-2014 at 08:44 AM.

How many times does Steve need to lose the SSS? This'll be the jillionth time. Which is funny since the SSS has been stated to be in his DNA, thus not being able to lose it. I suppose it could be blocked like in Brubaker's runs with Machinesmith. But it just gets tiring seeing the same thing over and over. But still I'm digging both Hickman's portrayal of Cap in the Avengers' comics and Remender's on Cap's solo, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. As for the rest, it looks really good, and I am looking forward to it, despite my mild reservations about Cap.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

I wonder if the 8 month jump will represent the start of a possible future where Tony Stark builds his new Ultron network and, temporarily of course, forcibly imposes paradise on Earth and possibly far beyond.

Now if I didn't know this would be temporary, I'd complain about Falcon wearing a Capified version of the movie suit and Thor looking like an oaf.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    Arno isn't blond.
    It's really hard to tell. It could be Havok, a new Iron Man, or a future incarnation of Franklin Richards. Richards made a recent appearance in Avengers #24.

Franklin_Richards_(Earth-12665)_from_Avengers_Vol_5_24.NOW_002.jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cookepuss View Post
    Yeah. I have to agree completely. After his amazing run on Fantastic Four, I was really excited to see him tackle Avengers. However, nearly two years later, I'm really disappointed. Instead of "slow burn" I feel that he's only delivered "plodding", "tedious", and "boring." With such a massive cast, he's got almost no space to focus on any one character. Save for the founders and a few spotlight characters like Hyperion, most of the cast largely goes ignored. Additionally, a book like this is only as good as its conflict and antagonists. Thus far, the likes of AIM and Black Swan have proven to be little more than dry and uninteresting D-list filler.

I get how people just LOVE what he's doing here. Everybody's entitled to their opinion. For my money, Hickman's Avengers has been far less epic and smart than originally anticipated. More importantly, it's just not fun.
    Well to be fair to Hickman, as he stated himself months ago, it was Infinity that derailed the story, especially in New Avengers. The Builder's war originally was an Avenger story arc, the intention was to show the Avengers fight the Builders ignoring their real intentions (destroy the hearth to save the universe) while the Illuminati were dealing with the Incursions. They asked him to make an event of the Builder's war and that delayed his whole story by about six months. He also had to add Thanos to the mix and all the stuff that led to Inhumanity (both this subplots took a lot of pages in both Avengers and NA for several months). Then they made Avengers monthly to make space for Avengers World further delaying everything. I guess without all this interferences the whole story would've been ended by this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by brainwasher View Post
    Well to be fair to Hickman, as he stated himself months ago, it was Infinity that derailed the story, especially in New Avengers. The Builder's war originally was an Avenger story arc, the intention was to show the Avengers fight the Builders ignoring their real intentions (destroy the hearth to save the universe) while the Illuminati were dealing with the Incursions. They asked him to make an event of the Builder's war and that delayed his whole story by about six months. He also had to add Thanos to the mix and all the stuff that led to Inhumanity (both this subplots took a lot of pages in both Avengers and NA for several months). Then they made Avengers monthly to make space for Avengers World further delaying everything. I guess without all this interferences the whole story would've been ended by this summer.
    No storyline survives first contact with the editor.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    No storyline survives first contact with the editor.
    Yes. At this point I feel I can really enjoy only the book that lives on the fringes or don't sell enough to be forcibly involved in these events. They also ruined Remender's Uncanny X-Force forcing him to modify and relocate characters and plots on Uncanny Avengers (still a fine book but if you know from where it comes from it feels unnatural). Hope they learned from their mistakes because it doesn't seem like these decisions paid a lot commercially. In the long run this management style also impede the development of "historical" runs like in the past; if they managed this way Claremont on X-Men or David on Hulk and so on now they'd miss at least half of their more important franchising and characters.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by havok1977 View Post
    Personally Im really enjoying this run.

The pacing could be a bit better, yes; but Ill take this story over lots of others any day. Its among the best Marvel has done in the Now era IMO.
    I think the bigger issue is the release schedule. We've gotten Avengers/New Avengers shipped the same week for a while now and Avengers World doesn't exactly tie into the main story, as far as we can tell.

That said, this is one of the better Avengers runs I've ever read. Best since Johns in terms of writing but best since Busiek in terms of scope.

I really think Spencer will take over afterwards and that would be a rock star run as well. Hell, I'd be excited for anyone else but Bendis coming back.